Girard's acting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard's acting

I think Gerry saw part 2 of himself in Joe and Joe just never got the handle or defense that Gerry did. Joe's hs career was literally the same as Gerry's.

And for ending up sixth in the conference in assists. He would have been no worse than fourth had Jesse not gotten hurt.

Yep. All good. But I’m always going to give guys way more credit for non aggregate stats since guys will get stats when you play most the game.

It’s like Buddy’s ppg. Kid plays almost the whole game, is top five or ten in the country in FGA / game, he’s going to get points. Someone has to get them.

So, yes, good job on the assists, truly. But it’s not that impressive to me considering the situation he’s in. Someone has to get the numbers.

giving him "PG tenure" has been a huge error by JB, imo

early in his sophomre season - JB was like " joe is proven"

no hes not. not as a PG. hes simply not.

he's got heart and easy to root for ...(though he does make a lot of careless mistakes that are frustrating if you care about winning)but cant actually run a team the way a point guard needs to.

he could be an assett to any college bball team in the country...used in the right way...but on this team...for these last seasons...hes been a net negative imo.

it all comes down to miscalculations by the coaching staff on what will work and what wont...imo

its 1 of his worst coaching decisions of his entire career. not only has it cost us games, its cost us PLAYERS!!!!!

I thought his hero ball ISO short rimming the shot and then not getting out on the 3 point shooter on the other end right after was just as bad.

But next year will be more of the same so buckle up.

Cheating? You mean the trying to draw a foul and get to the line? You’re calling that ...Cheating? Take some time to think before hitting the post rectangle

Agree that it’s not cheating. It’s acting, it’s bush league, it’s dumb and it’s not something you’d expect from a 3rd full year starting PG.

But not cheating.

Cheating? You mean the trying to draw a foul and get to the line? You’re calling that ...Cheating? Take some time to think before hitting the post rectangle
Drawing a foul is fine if you can actually force the guy to foul you

Drawing a foul by throwing your head back two seconds later and turning it over is embarrassing

And also miscalculations by the coaching staff on who they recruit, and how players are handled.

We've had an embarrassing string of misses at PG, after Tyler Ennis.

Kaleb Joseph was a hand-picked guy, and he couldn't even see the floor at Creighton.
We blew it putting all our eggs in the Quade Green basket.
Then laid an egg with Jalen Carey, who was athletic but couldn't dribble down his chin.
Goodine was another bust.
And when we finally landed a true lead guard -- not some combo who needs to learn the position -- who was also a great fit for what we do defensively, JB ran him off by committing to Girard.

It really isn't Girard's fault. His limitations make him best suited for a microwave role off the bench, not a starting PG who gets 35+ minutes per game.
This is the issue with the side , agree with all of that. But Girard deserves some blame for his selfishness

And also miscalculations by the coaching staff on who they recruit, and how players are handled.

We've had an embarrassing string of misses at PG, after Tyler Ennis.

Kaleb Joseph was a hand-picked guy, and he couldn't even see the floor at Creighton.
We blew it putting all our eggs in the Quade Green basket.
Then laid an egg with Jalen Carey, who was athletic but couldn't dribble down his chin.
Goodine was another bust.
And when we finally landed a true lead guard -- not some combo who needs to learn the position -- who was also a great fit for what we do defensively, JB ran him off by committing to Girard.

It really isn't Girard's fault. His limitations make him best suited for a microwave role off the bench, not a starting PG who gets 35+ minutes per game.
Good post, RF. The failure to bring in a true PG since Ennis left unexpectedly following the 13-14 season coincides with the beginning of the decline in the program. It's not a coincidence. Jalen Carey was not a PG (water is wet), he wasn't even a combo guard. And to think that he could play as one was a disaster and a warning sign of things to come.

Joe saved the season in a sense when he took over at PG after the Carey experiment failed. Joe is a combo guard best suited off the ball. But he earned JB's trust and that has carried forward. Joe does a lot of things well (I know that is not a popular stance). But his tragic flaw is his inability handle on the ball pressure - one of the most important skill sets a PG must have. I don't blame Joe for being put in that position. I admire what he has been able to do given his limitations.

I really dislike the throwing his head back and pretending he was fouled. The refs aren’t buying it and when you do it ten times a game they ignore it.

Hate the Jimmy jr and buddy raising hands in the air and either asking for a foul or being shocked they were called for a foul.

Hate the fact we never dive on the floor. Hate the fact we stand around, show little urgency and ball watch whether rebounding or when trying to inbounds.

Speaks to us being a very weak team.

Cuse!
We are soft, weak, and scared when other teams turn up the pressure.

Hands down my least favorite SU team to watch play, ever. So glad it’s almost over.

Weakest handle this side of David Patrick
Sadly, he has far and away the best handle of anybody we had available in that game, and only Symir has a better handle on our entire roster.

Yep. All good. But I’m always going to give guys way more credit for non aggregate stats since guys will get stats when you play most the game.

It’s like Buddy’s ppg. Kid plays almost the whole game, is top five or ten in the country in FGA / game, he’s going to get points. Someone has to get them.

So, yes, good job on the assists, truly. But it’s not that impressive to me considering the situation he’s in. Someone has to get the numbers.
I agree. Did Buddy or Jimmy make his teammates better players? They made them worse. What really makes me burn is the way they hardly participated on defense. If they had worked half as hard as they did chucking up shots, the team would have been much better off and picked up a couple or more extra wins. All you need to do is review the condensed gamed and look at the lack of interest in 3 of our defenders. You will not believe it.

Amen.
pure nightmare

Agree w you and OrangeDW. It's been one of my least enjoyable years. It's tough to lose like that to Colgate and have to realize in the 3rd game of the year that we're just not good enough. I've still watched every game and always will, but won't be too sad when this season is over.

The guy isn't confident enough to get across half court on his own and has to try cheating and yet he's confident enough to go into I GOT THIS mode with his 36% 2 point shooting

He needs to find our best scorer at the end. Inexcusable.
He's not a PG. But the coach you're fine with having his Very Special Brady Bunch episode all season thinks he is.

Agree w you and OrangeDW. It's been one of my least enjoyable years. It's tough to lose like that to Colgate and have to realize in the 3rd game of the year that we're just not good enough. I've still watched every game and always will, but won't be too sad when this season is over.
Yep. I realized with about 5 minutes remaining in that Colgate game that things were going be far far from optimal. I suppressed that and held out hope for a while, esp with the run Jesse was on - but then he went down, and it just went from bad to worse. Just a painful season all the way around.

He's not a PG. But the coach you're fine with having his Very Special Brady Bunch episode all season thinks he is.
I agree and said as much months ago. I would be furious with boeheim if that happened yesterday with Torrence suited up

Last edited:
how sure is anyone that Joe will slide over to the 2 next year? If he stays at 1 then does it matter if we get Mintz or not?

I don't see it as a problem on that possession as it was just a poor play and he should have been concerned with ball handling. On the previous possession it was dribble dribble dribble and the a crappy missed shot without looking for the guy who has been scoring.
Not even a pass to any another player. THAT my friends lost the game for us. Joe trying to be the hero. What was he, three for twelve at that point? Try passing the ball and playing a little basketball!

Another issue hurting team is the amount of minutes played. It’s clear it wears them down in second half as well as late in the season. Same story during Trevor Cooney era.

Where was the Senior leadership of Buddy, Jimmy, Swider the last couple of minutes of the Miami game? And other close games? And the whole season for that matter. Their is more to offense than simply scoring points. They should have led us to victory with 4 years of college experience.

Where was the Senior leadership of Buddy, Jimmy, Swider the last couple of minutes of the Miami game? And other close games? And the whole season for that matter. Their is more to offense than simply scoring points. They should have led us to victory with 4 years of college experience.
tough for senior leadership to offset junior point guard I GOT THIS

tough for senior leadership to offset junior point guard I GOT THIS
What were our seniors doing the last 2 minutes of the game? They should have collectively stepped up and showed us "we got this". 12 years of collective leadership. THEY GOT THIS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom