giving up 86 pts to an offensively challenged team | Syracusefan.com

giving up 86 pts to an offensively challenged team

pearl31

in cahoots
after sleeping on it, I'm not nearly as upset about our offensive performance last night - Girard was a bit rattled early, we missed a bunch of open shots, and the were playing catch-up most of the time.
What's appalling about last night is our defense. It reminds me of the White/Gillon team, and might (based on last night at least) be worse than that team. JB has to make a decision with his guards - looks like right now he's going with best shooters out there at all cost and hope to outscore the other team - but if their 3s aren't falling (2-14 combined last night) I think he's gotta play Goodine extended minutes and maybe some HW as well. Cuz Buddy/JG up top is a frigging sieve

Interior D was every bit as poor as up top, though.
yeah - but I'd argue Sidibe did a decent job except for his typical accumulation of fouls - really the crux of our horrendous defense last night was the two starting guards being absolutely exposed

My nomination for worst play was when Joe, Buddy and Eli basically backpedalled down the court and let their guard make a layup. No one stepped up to stop him. “After you, Sir”. I hope they see the tape and lay somebody out next time. I mean Ok St had no problem tackling QG on the baseline right in front of the ref. No call.

Second was when Buddy was coming to the side of the guy in transition and the guy just held Buddy off with his extended arm. Total offensive foul but Buddy did nothing to fight through it. I would have slapped the guys arm down.

My nomination for worst play was when Joe, Buddy and Eli basically backpedalled down the court and let their guard make a layup. No one stepped up to stop him. “After you, Sir”. I hope they see the tape and lay somebody out next time. I mean Ok St had no problem tackling QG on the baseline right in front of the ref. No call.

Second was when Buddy was coming to the side of the guy in transition and the guy just held Buddy off with his extended arm. Total offensive foul but Buddy did nothing to fight through it. I would have slapped the guys arm down.
yep, those two plays stick out for me too

That ward off, combined with the phantom three point foul they called on Hughes in the 2nd half, were my favorite plays. Because at that point, who the Hell knew what was going on?

Last edited:
Turnovers and bad shots led to transition. That’s what killed su.

By half time our entire front-line was not only in foul trouble but on the bench. A good part of that was Likekele beating our guards and putting our bigs in bad positions, but a few were just dumb fools.

In the less 3 minutes of the 1st half the bench proved they are not ready yet.

I think we should start Hughes at the point and Guerrier at the 3. Buddy or Girard at the 2 (I lean buddy because of size)

But it puts the ball in our best players hand and it also gets him off the front-line where he will continue to pick up fouls. Second it makes us bigger in the zone, which helps prevent ball penetration.

Lastly it allows us to develop Guerrier and hopefully Hughes can get him a couple of easy ones...if he can catch the ball.

By half time our entire front-line was not only in foul trouble but on the bench. A good part of that was Likekele beating our guards and putting our bigs in bad positions, but a few were just dumb fools.

In the less 3 minutes of the 1st half the bench proved they are not ready yet.

I think we should start Hughes at the point and Guerrier at the 3. Buddy or Girard at the 2 (I lean buddy because of size)

But it puts the ball in our best players hand and it also gets him off the front-line where he will continue to pick up fouls. Second it makes us bigger in the zone, which helps prevent ball penetration.

Lastly it allows us to develop Guerrier and hopefully Hughes can get him a couple of easy ones...if he can catch the ball.
more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of this idea of Hughes at the point with Quincy at the 3 - basically the same concept as silentG running the point - it removes one shooter from the floor but it provides a much better defensive team and your only real playmaker with the ball in his hands as much as possible

more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of this idea of Hughes at the point with Quincy at the 3 - basically the same concept as silentG running the point - it removes one shooter from the floor but it provides a much better defensive team and your only real playmaker with the ball in his hands as much as possible
And developing Braswell will solve the 3pt shooting problem, but he needs to rebound and defend better.

Assuming you put QG in over Buddy or Girard then? Or is he in place of Marek or Sid? If it’s the former, then our already bad offense will likely be worse. If it’s the latter, well, it’s not like our rebounding and interior D would be any worse.

This team’s pieces just don’t fit for this system (What else is new). We have unathletic guards that can’t cover the same ground or cut off driving lanes like our average D’s do. Offensively, none of them can beat their man off the bounce so it’s a double whammy. We don’t have any bulk on the front line, no shot blocker and not a ton of length/athleticism. We’re going to get exposed defensively by any team with size and/or playmaking guards.

last year's take: it would be ok to lose a few more games if we're scoring in the 70s rather than win them white-knuckling to wins in the 50s or 60s
this year's take: give us some of that old time religion

Last edited:
Moving Hughes to the point and starting Guerrier improves to the top of the zone and adds a rebounder to the defense.

The offense changes but whether it is for the better or worse depends on how Guerrier plays. If Guerrier shoots a bunch of 3s of course that's not good, but if he plays to his strength and plays in the mid-range and attacks to the rim it helps our offense and lead to open looks for our shooters.

Syracuse has won a ton of games of the years with having only 2 3pt shooters on the floor at any given time.