GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

5OutFred

Scout Team
This job is expected to come open this week; any insight if GMac had interest in the past? Is he aiming higher? Would seem like a fit.

Last edited:
Saw Siena play Iona Friday night. They are awful right now, not much talent. They were down 41-16 at the half. I’d love for GMac to take over but with the state of that program, would it benefit his career to go there?
If he could turn Siena around though, that would be awesome for him and Siena. Big challenge!

Last edited:
The optimist perspective is that Adrian Autry coaches 15 seasons here and maybe picks up a NC or 2 then passes the reigns over to Gerry for the next 15 years. This would mean that we are having success and will need to pay Gerry more to keep him here.

The optimist perspective is that Adrian Autry coaches 15 seasons here and maybe picks up a NC or 2 then passes the reigns over to Gerry for the next 15 years. This would mean that we are having success and will need to pay Gerry more to keep him here.
You mean retire at age 66? That's just crazy!:confused::confused:

The Syracuse Associate HC makes more than most mid major head coaching jobs.
Guys like Mike Deane, Fran McCaffery, Paul Hewitt and even Louis Orr, after one season, parlayed it into jobs paying more than what Cuse was paying Associate HC's. Could be different with GMac, but some guys don't want to be #2. Will Gerry be as patient as Hop was, until it became apparent that all the patience in the world wasn't going to matter.

I've always regarded Siena as a great opportunity. Even guys like Rob Lanier had great recruits, but he couldn't coach them. And guys like Pickett and McCollum were recruited to Siena by others and they did well moving on to Penn State and Oklahoma.

Guys like Mike Deane, Fran McCaffery, Paul Hewitt and even Louis Orr, after one season, parlayed it into jobs paying more than what Cuse was paying Associate HC's. Could be different with GMac, but some guys don't want to be #2. Will Gerry be as patient as Hop was, until it became apparent that all the patience in the world wasn't going to matter.

I've always regarded Siena as a great opportunity. Even guys like Rob Lanier had great recruits, but he couldn't coach them. And guys like Pickett and McCollum were recruited to Siena by others and they did well moving on to Penn State and Oklahoma.
I grew up closer to Albany than Syracuse and played against a few guys who went there so I followed that program quite a bit. I’m shocked it’s cratered as much as it has.

After Autry it's Griffin's turn, or may be Buddy, so Gmac has to wait a while.

Saw Siena play Iona Friday night. They are awful right now, not much talent. They were down 41-16 at the half. I’d love for GMac to take over but with the state of that program, would it benefit his career to go there?
If he could turn Siena around though, that would be awesome for him and Siena. Big challenge!
Their best players have been picked off the last few years by bigger programs. Jalen Pickett who was right from Rochester played for Siena for 3 years transferred to Penn St his last 2 years and now is in the NBA. Their 2 top players from last year, Billups, a defensive stopper who averaged over 8 points a game transferred to A10 George Mason while their top scorer, MacCollum was picked up by Oklahoma. That’s the very tough part of the job, despite recruiting well, evaluating and developing players, the top players leave from the Siena’s etc in this new era. Keeping your top kids to stay is difficult and must be very frustrating.

Agreed, Siena has been a good spot for success and getting a promotion to a bigger program - unless something structurally changed within the university, it’s a great job. I remember at one point a few years ago when Siena was rolling, I looked up average attendance in the MAAC - they were so far ahead of everyone else it was absurd.

You think so? I have an alum friend who has some connections who feels they have the support/money to be expected to compete consistently in the MAAC.
Think about the year they beat Ohio St in the tournament, or the year they crushed Vanderbilt. I can imagine that three or four players from those teams would easily be persuaded to move up to a bigger conference. How could Siena possibly keep up?.
It’s a tough new world for any mid-major to maintain and keep success, unless you have a coach that is an awesome recruiter..

UB is probably going to be hiring a coach. That program has been a real spring board for coaches to get big jobs.
Could see UB hiring Hop and GMAC to Siena would be a good job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom