Go Gators! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Go Gators!

Their bigs are terrible. Teams will figure them out soon enough

1pt win vs. Indiana: Napier 27pts (UConn 59pts)
1pt win vs. Florida: Napier 27pts (UConn 65pts)

He's good man, no denying it. But if ever has an off game vs. a solid team they're gonna be in big time trouble.

Yeah. But just like "All you have to do is shut down Kemba", its easier said than done.
lol.

Kemba is better than Napier. Also Oriahki was really, really good for you in 2011. You're smarter than that.

Yeah. But just like "All you have to do is shut down Kemba", its easier said than done.

9-9 in the big east and one of the weakest final fours ever...

DoctorBombay said:
Yes...yes, we will. It's inevitable but we will wax them, no doubt!

I thought we were going to last year as well.

I have no problem acknowledging how good Napier is, but the rest of that team? I'd take Daniels and maybe Giffy as decent bench players and that's it.

The play that killed Florida was the 4 pt play where they gave UConn 2 offensive rebs and then the ball goes to a wide open Napier and they run into him on the 3 pt shot. You have to stay on him like glue and not leave him. The last play was just a lucky bounce after the missed shot. You've got to tip your cap to UConn though, they have a habit of winning tight games like that. You have to hurt them more in the paint and Florida's bigs, other than Young, just didn't score inside enough.

I have no problem acknowledging how good Napier is, but the rest of that team? I'd take Daniels and maybe Giffy as decent bench players and that's it.

Giffey is 15/22 from 3 point land and shooting better than that from 2. Daniels is a stud.

Lamb was lost at this point his freshman year. Let's see how the team develops. There might be someone ready to step up ie Brimah.

ok, yeah, great - thanks for enlightening us, chief!
good luck vs Tulane and east carolina later on in conf play!

Giffey is 15/22 from 3 point land and shooting better than that from 2. Daniels is a stud.

Lamb was lost at this point his freshman year. Let's see how the team develops. There might be someone ready to step up ie Brimah.
Giffey is a nice piece, I like his game and IMO he should play more than Calhoun.
Daniels has the ability to be really, really good; he just has to stay aggressive and consistent, if he does that it makes you a totally different team. In his career he's tended to disappear in big games, if he avoids that this year it makes you a different animal.
No need to talk about Napier, everyone knows how good he is.

Calhoun seems to have taken a step back. I've never been a Boatright fan; and while he's playing way more under control this year, he just doesn't look like a difference maker to me; he's just as likely to make a huge mistake as he is to make a big play. The big men leave alot to be desired, and while they might improve, it won't be enough to make them a "force", even collectively. Brimah is a good shot blocker; other than that none of them do anything particularly well. I like Kromah, he's a good piece who understands his role; he's good defensively and seems to be a good shooter if he gets a clean look.

I just think outside of Daniels, there's no one who you can expect to be really good come February (besides Napier and Giffey for what he does). You guys need Calhoun to find his shot in the worst way; if him and Boat continue to be pretty much non-factors scoring the basketball, it's gonna be tough. If Napier doesn't go off vs. Florida, BC or Indiana, you lose all 3. I understand he's an elite player, but 1 bad night from him and you'll have trouble scoring. I still think you'll easily win over 20 games and will be a top 4 or 5 seed in the tourney; but that's mostly because of the conference.

Giffey is a nice piece, I like his game and IMO he should play more than Calhoun.
Daniels has the ability to be really, really good; he just has to stay aggressive and consistent, if he does that it makes you a totally different team. In his career he's tended to disappear in big games, if he avoids that this year it makes you a different animal.
No need to talk about Napier, everyone knows how good he is.

Calhoun seems to have taken a step back. I've never been a Boatright fan; and while he's playing way more under control this year, he just doesn't look like a difference maker to me; he's just as likely to make a huge mistake as he is to make a big play. The big men leave alot to be desired, and while they might improve, it won't be enough to make them a "force", even collectively. Brimah is a good shot blocker; other than that none of them do anything particularly well. I like Kromah, he's a good piece who understands his role; he's good defensively and seems to be a good shooter if he gets a clean look.

I just think outside of Daniels, there's no one who you can expect to be really good come February (besides Napier and Giffey for what he does). You guys need Calhoun to find his shot in the worst way; if him and Boat continue to be pretty much non-factors scoring the basketball, it's gonna be tough. If Napier doesn't go off vs. Florida, BC or Indiana, you lose all 3. I understand he's an elite player, but 1 bad night from him and you'll have trouble scoring. I still think you'll easily win over 20 games and will be a top 4 or 5 seed in the tourney; but that's mostly because of the conference.

I think that's pretty fair. After watching Calhoun last year, if he is healthy, I'm confident he can/will be a difference maker. The Boatshow can be a difference maker on occasion but what is obvious to me is that Ollie has him buying into the team concept. That's big. Kromah is a nice piece as is Giffey.

You are right about the big men. Roscoe Smith on this team could make them a top 5 team. I don't see more out of Olander than we've seen in the past which is a guy who can play 5 or 6 minutes a game. Nolan has to find a way to contribute and stay on the floor. Brimah's a great shot blocker but can't rebound to save his life. The game seems to be way to fast for him. If Ollie can coach him up to be able to stay on the court to get block 5 shots a game and get 5 rebounds a game in 25 minutes, I would be thrilled.

We will likely lose some games this year to some bad teams this year on night when Bazz is off, but with the way we can shoot the 3, I think we can be very dangerous in the tourney is we get hot.

Ollie certainly has the team believing in themselves and working hard. He's also better with the X&O's than I thought he would be at this point. I'm confident that he'll be a good coach and I'm cautiously optimistic that he could be a special, special coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom