Go, Jags.. or, Keep Going, Jags... (game thread) | Syracusefan.com

Go, Jags.. or, Keep Going, Jags... (game thread)

cto

Administrator
That Saint Dougie thread was too long (and too all-over-the-place) to be a game-focused thread. Let's use this one.

Jags now up 14-3, and Belichick is frantically thumbing through his playbook.

People joke and say “ who are we gonna hire, Saban lol?” or “ let’s hire Belichick lolz.”

We had one of those guys. His name is Doug and he likes bologna and Gatorade.

Let’s hope they still lose so the posters who are butt hurt by Marrone won’t be so upset.

I drank a beer with Doug Marrone on Bourbon Street, thanks to my everlasting hero TexanMark, and I enjoyed Doug's time at Syracuse. I hope today finishes well for him...

Doug Marrone.

Culture changer.

That first half delay of game after the timeout is still haunting them.

Refs blowing the whistle that the Jags player was down after the TO as he was running it back for a TD - was a 7 point game changer

keep hoping some safety over pursues on the sideline and seriously kneecaps marrone the traitor.

That damned "delay of game" penalty near the end of the first half when the Jags were moving was the game changer. So sad.

Shat the bed. No answer on offense or defense in the second half. (Still got jobbed on that fumble return)

I’m just glad I don’t support a team that’s been “caught” cheating twice in the last fifteen years.

That damned "delay of game" penalty near the end of the first half when the Jags were moving was the game changer. So sad.

Delay of game, then Jags not realizing the clock was running after the declined hold, then that god awful PI call. Never should have been a Pats confidence gaining TD at the end of the half. Never never. But the blessed get the breaks.

keep hoping some safety over pursues on the sideline and seriously kneecaps marrone the traitor.

Another poster that Marrone didn’t stop and coddle you when you bumped into him one day in the grocery store. So sad.

I agree. And to add insult to injury, it was right after a TO. I thought Hackett got too conservative with his play calling in the 2nd half. There were 3 or 4 drives in a row that predictably started with a short run off tackle. It was like the Jags were playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. In contrast, the Pats pulled out their usual bag of tricks and sized the game momentum
There was one series in particular, early in the 4th Qtr., when after recovering the fumble while leading 20-10, Jax was facing 4th and 1 at their own 42. They had an opportunity to put the Pats down 3 scores, but instead the Jags opted to punt. NE proceeded to drive the length of the field, narrowing the score to 20-17. I 'm sure at the end of the game the Jags would have gladly traded their last-gap drive for a 4th and 1 at their own 42.

Refs blowing the whistle that the Jags player was down after the TO as he was running it back for a TD - was a 7 point game changer
He was as on the ground in contact with the runner when he gained possession. He was down regardless.

1. They are supposed to let the play on, turnovers get reviewed. They are supposed to eat their whistle.

2. When he gains possession he isn't in contact with anyone.
From Mike Perreria

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Jack begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery.

1. They are supposed to let the play on, turnovers get reviewed. They are supposed to eat their whistle.

2. When he gains possession he isn't in contact with anyone.

The call on the field was turnover and down by contact if I recall. You don’t let the play play out if you think he is down by contact do you.

From Mike Perreria

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Jack begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery.

That is horse . The defender never had possession or joint possession. Technically it wasn’t even a strip. The ball was knocked loose and the defender ended up with the ball. If another defender had picked the ball up would it be down by contact? By his logic it would be. It was an awful call.

Also what he describes isn’t even close to what happened. The ball was never in possession on the ground. It wasn’t taken but knocked loose. If player A has the ball and player B takes it out of his hands and in the proceed falls to the ground then yes he is down by contact. That is what he describes above and isn’t close to what happened.
This really isn’t that hard but refs are too dumb to follow common logic.

Last edited:
That is horse . The defender never had possession or joint possession. Technically it wasn’t even a strip. The ball was knocked loose and the defender ended up with the ball. If another defender had picked the ball up would it be down by contact? By his logic it would be. It was an awful call.

Also what he describes isn’t even close to what happened. The ball was never in possession on the ground. It wasn’t taken but knocked loose. If player A has the ball and player B takes it out of his hands and in the proceed falls to the ground then yes he is down by contact. That is what he describes above and isn’t close to what happened.
This really isn’t that hard but refs are too dumb to follow common logic.
He took it off Lewis back.
Thus he was in contact.

The rule says

Lewis didn’t put it on the ground. Jack got it off Lewis thus they had contact when it started and it would be dead when Jack got full possession.

Last edited:
He took it off Lewis back.
Thus he was in contact.

The rule says

Lewis didn’t put it on the ground. Jack got it off Lewis thus they had contact when it started and it would be dead when Jack got full possession.

You are really trying to stretch the interpretation. He wasn’t trying to secure the ball. It fell in his lap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom