Go with this lineup | Syracusefan.com

Go with this lineup

kcsu

Living Legend
Frank just doesn't have it. Same with Battle. They both need time.

John can beat his man off the dribble and hit from outside. He is our best bet at pg.
White can shoot he needs to be our shooting guard.
Lydon at the 3
TT at the 4
Coleman 5

Have john drive as much as possible. Kick to white if possible crash with Lydon and TT. In short get aggressive. Sure we may be hurt at the top of the zone but Frank and battle havnt impressed and are both huge liabilities on O.
Johns ability to beat his man should be emphasised.

Defense would be wretched but that is probably be out best offensive lineup.

John can beat his man off the dribble and hit from outside. He is our best bet at pg.
Lydon at the 3
TT at the 4
Coleman 5

Have john drive as much as possible. Kick to white if possible crash with Lydon and TT. In short get aggressive. Sure we may be hurt at the top of the zone but Frank and battle havnt impressed and are both huge liabilities on O.
That lineup has two guys playing out of position and would get absolutely torched defensively, particularly at the top of the zone, while arguably the three most athletic players on the roster are sitting on the bench.

That lineup has two guys playing out of position and would get absolutely torched defensively, particularly at the top of the zone, while arguably the three most athletic players on the roster are sitting on the bench.
You dont get points for D. You have to score.

Lydon at the 3
TT at the 4
Coleman 5

gillon can beat his man but he cant beat the rim

If your defense is consistently a sieve, you aren't going to beat too many teams no matter how well you can score.

If your defense is consistently a sieve, you aren't going to beat too many teams no matter how well you can score.
I dont buy the top of the zone bs. John is cat quick. Quicker than Flynn who was fine up top. White is 6'7 he can cover ground. Dc is a bull and being flanked by 2 6'10 kids with long reach isnt too shabby.
If we want to win we have to score.

Lydon at the 3
TT at the 4
Coleman 5

I despise everything about this idea
White is very uncomfortable at the two and Lydon is very uncomfortable at the three especially with two other bigs clogging up the lane
If Tyler is at the three that means somebody that's guarding him can handle him on the perimeter

Battle had an injury he needs to be on the floor he's the best at the top of the zone and that's what starts stuff it should be obvious to see

Colemann is too inconsistent

I have been saying start Battle and ride him like a horse. Let him play through mistakes and build some confidence. It's not like we're lighting up the scoreboard with our guards with Battle on the bench. Get him in there and take off the leash, JB.

I have been saying start Battle and ride him like a horse. Let him play through mistakes and build some confidence. It's not like we're lighting up the scoreboard with our guards with Battle on the bench. Get him in there and take off the leash, JB.
Plus he's probably our best defensive guard. I say start him and Frank - focus on defense and try to make every game 52-50.

No. You have to score more than your opponent. That means winning a low scoring game is just as good as winning a high scoring game. And much better than losing a high scoring game. Lydon has showed he isn't a 3 and isn't effective at the 3. And Gillon kills us on defense.

Agreed. We already tried White at 2 and Lydon at 3, and both were not suited for either position.

No. You have to score more than your opponent. That means winning a low scoring game is just as good as winning a high scoring game. And much better than losing a high scoring game. Lydon has showed he isn't a 3 and isn't effective at the 3. And Gillon kills us on defense.

What's the alternative? I get that Frank is 6-5 to Gillon's 5-9, but Howard sucks defensively, too. People pretend like having him in there is a significant difference defensively compared to Gillon--it's not. So we're better going off with the guy who can make positive contributions offensively and run the team better.

Agreed. We already tried White at 2 and Lydon at 3, and both were not suited for either position.
Yep. I think we know that White is our 3, Lydon 4 and DC 5. The question is finding the best Guard combo to complement those other 3. We have to build around Lydon and White. Frank and Gillon will decide who plays - If one of them emerges offensively, that will be the one that gets the majority of the PT, it's not re`ally up to JB at this point. I just want Battle to be the 2.

What's the alternative? I get that Frank is 6-5 to Gillon's 5-9, but Howard sucks defensively, too. People pretend like having him in there is a significant difference defensively compared to Gillon--it's not. So we're better going off with the guy who can make positive contributions offensively and run the team better.
eh, Howard at least is difficult to shoot or throw the ball over. Gillon is easy to do either. I think we have to go with Howard if for no other reason that he will be here next year and we need to get him to another level. He might learn from his many mistakes.

eh, Howard at least is difficult to shoot or throw the ball over. Gillon is easy to do either. I think we have to go with Howard if for no other reason that he will be here next year and we need to get him to another level. He might learn from his many mistakes.

On paper. But on the court, he's a sieve.

I agree with you, but Howard by default has length. Even though he's not good defensively, his length can make up for some of those defieincies almost by accident. Gillon is just too small - even Bilas said it yesterday, Pryor could have been on Gillon's side all day and just shot over him, it doesn't even matter if Gillon had the correct rotation or got to the shooter in time

AW3/Gillon at the top of the zone would be our worst since Flynn/Devo, they'd get eaten by ACC guards

And at least Eric and Jonny actually could win games by outscoring teams even with their nonexistent defense. White and Gillon are not in the same time zone as Eric and Jonny.

And at least Eric and Jonny actually could win games by outscoring teams even with their nonexistent defense. White and Gillon are not in the same time zone as Eric and Jonny.
I agree - I was talking strictly the top of the zone D more than I was them as players.

I agree - I was talking strictly the top of the zone D more than I was them as players.

And to be fair to them, the defense became serviceable when we switched to mostly man in 09.

After going back and forth on it since yesterday I remain convinced that we have to roll with Frank/Tyus up top with infusions of Gillon. Then for the frontcourt "money" lineup at this point I think it's gotta be Lydon PF, Taurean C, White SF with infusions of Roberson/DC.
Have to hope (pray?) Frankie starts to get it, that White is more consistent (esp against good teams) and TT becomes serviceable anchoring the zone.

After going back and forth on it since yesterday I remain convinced that we have to roll with Frank/Tyus up top with infusions of Gillon. Then for the frontcourt "money" lineup at this point I think it's gotta be Lydon PF, Taurean C, White SF with infusions of Roberson/DC.
Have to hope (pray?) Frankie starts to get it, that White is more consistent (esp against good teams) and TT becomes serviceable anchoring the zone.

Honestly, Frank and Gillon are so bad that I'd try Battle at point. He can't handle any worse than Franks, he's more talented, can occasionally finish around the rim and (I'm assuming/hoping) he has a better basketball IQ than the other two. But realistically, how could he not?

I agree - we need a lineup change - but it starts with different players - as in new players - we are just so bad at the most important positions in college - which is ball handlers - we don't have one guard or SF that can put the ball on the floor get to the rim and finish not one - there is nothing we can do - we don't have the players and we don't have the players coming in the future