Go with this lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Go with this lineup

I agree - we need a lineup change - but it starts with different players - as in new players - we are just so bad at the most important positions in college - which is ball handlers - we don't have one guard or SF that can put the ball on the floor get to the rim and finish not one - there is nothing we can do - we don't have the players and we don't have the players coming in the future
eh we have a few players that have shown (granted, just glimpses of) they can do it - Frank/Battle/Gillon - but obviously they need to figure out how to do it more often and either finish, get fouled or make a good pass

Keep playing this until it gels, might take a while but after a few games this is best balance:
Howard / Battle / White / Roberson / Lydon

Keep playing this until it gels, might take a while but after a few games this is best balance:
Howard / Battle / White / Roberson / Lydon
I'd be willing to try that but I do feel like with Roberson in his current state we could have a real void at the PF position

Honestly, Frank and Gillon are so bad that I'd try Battle at point. He can't handle any worse than Franks, he's more talented, can occasionally finish around the rim and (I'm assuming/hoping) he has a better basketball IQ than the other two. But realistically, how could he not?

I've seen this opinion thrown around quite a bit, but what has Tyus shown that suggests he can be a PG. He has no ability to dribble in traffic? I know he's a freshman, but he was supposed to be an immediate impact player. Injury or not he has been just as disappointing as Howard and Gillon against high level teams.

The bottom line is the backcourt is a complete disaster. That's why we stink.

Last edited:
I've seen this opinion thrown around quite a bit, but what has Tyus shown that suggests he can be a PG. He has no ability to dribble in traffic. I know he's a freshman, but he was supposed to be an immediate impact player. Injury or not he has been just as disappointing as Howard and Gillon against high level teams.

The bottom line is the backcourt is a complete disaster. That's why we stink.

I think I'd just go with uber talented freshman and hope for the best because he is most likely (among his competition) to be able to eventually get it. I've never been as down on a Syracuse player as I am with Howard and Gillon isn't that far behind.

Honestly, Frank and Gillon are so bad that I'd try Battle at point. He can't handle any worse than Franks, he's more talented, can occasionally finish around the rim and (I'm assuming/hoping) he has a better basketball IQ than the other two. But realistically, how could he not?

What have you seen from Battle in any way, shape, or form that suggests he'd be able to handle the point?

Honest question.

What have you seen from Battle in any way, shape, or form that suggests he'd be able to handle the point?

Honest question.

Nothing. But I think he has more natural ability and that eventually could mean something.

Nothing. But I think he has more natural ability and that eventually could mean something.

Battle absolutely needs to figure things out. This team needs him--desperately--to be an impact player.

But his game is that of a 2, not a point.

We already saw earlier this year what happens when you play guys out of position, wishing that something good will come of it. Neither Lydon nor White were fits for the positions they were playing. It would be a similar fish out of water situation playing Battle at point.

This isn't directed at you specifically, NKR, just about these type of suggestions in general--throwing sh&# against the wall to see what sticks isn't going to fix / correct the problems plaguing this team.

The only way for things to improve are:

[1] Battle needs to step up and carve out a niche as a difference maker
[2] One or both of the points needs to increase their productivity

The frontcourt is fine and has the right pieces to be successful. The backcourt is what's holding back this team right now.

Battle absolutely needs to figure things out. This team needs him--desperately--to be an impact player.

But his game is that of a 2, not a point.

We already saw earlier this year what happens when you play guys out of position, wishing that something good will come of it. Neither Lydon nor White were fits for the positions they were playing. It would be a similar fish out of water situation playing Battle at point.

If Battle can run a fast break or hit a trailing Lydon/White for an open 3, the. I'll take him out of position over the s*** sandwich the other two bring.

And don't get me wrong, I think he's the best of three bad options.

If Battle can run a fast break or hit a trailing Lydon/White for an open 3, the. I'll take him out of position over the s*** sandwich the other two bring.

And don't get me wrong, I think he's the best of three bad options.

Being able to make a pass on a fast break isn't difficiult, nor is it indicative of having the skill to play point guard. I think that's why so many posters got confused by what we saw from Frank.

Lydon needs to play 25 minutes at center. It's his most effective position and creates mismatch problems for most teams centers. Let Coleman spell him for 15 minutes and then Lydon moves over to the 4. TT has to be the starting 4 for 30 MPG and let him play through his defensive mistakes and learn. He's the next best offensive player on the floor to Lydon. Gillon is better in an off the bench spark plug role so Howard starts but they each get about 20 minutes at PG. Battle should be the SG. He's the best defender at the top of the zone. He needs confidence and encouragement to shoot and score more. This team isn't going anywhere if he doesn't start producing. AWIII is the 3 just pray his 3 point shot is on because he doesn't do anything else. His D is awful at the top of the zone. JB needs to establish these roles and fast. It's almost ACC time and most of these guys have no idea what their roles are. Unbelievable.

I'd be willing to try that but I do feel like with Roberson in his current state we could have a real void at the PF position

Roberson will come around, we need to build him up. He has proven he can be a force to content with, Boeheim needs to give him a senior's leash to grow his confidence. This team needs the beast version of Roberson.

we've been out rebounded every game since south carolina state (nov 22nd) . a mere 383/378 for the entire season.
JB might want to address that issue . you're worried about scoring ? rebounds lead to points.

Last edited:
It's too bad Gillon doesn't have Frank's height, if so, there would be no debate on O and D right now.

who was that tiny guard that terrorized us out top earlier ? tenacity can certainly make up for a few inches.

There is no magic button to press in terms of lineup. Just get five guys out there who will bust butt. So far in the games that I have seen, there hasn't been more than one or two at a time really giving it their all.

There is no magic button to press in terms of lineup. Just get five guys out there who will bust butt. So far in the games that I have seen, there hasn't been more than one or two at a time really giving it their all.
That's pretty damning. Sorry, but I just don't see that in this team. I think it's possible to mistake confusion and indecision and inexperience for "not giving their all."

Frank just doesn't have it. Same with Battle. They both need time.

John can beat his man off the dribble and hit from outside. He is our best bet at pg.
White can shoot he needs to be our shooting guard.
Lydon at the 3
TT at the 4
Coleman 5

Have john drive as much as possible. Kick to white if possible crash with Lydon and TT. In short get aggressive. Sure we may be hurt at the top of the zone but Frank and battle havnt impressed and are both huge liabilities on O.
Johns ability to beat his man should be emphasised.

I disagree.

I think Frank Howard could be a very effective PG but he is apparently bouncing between PG and SG.

Gillon is fast and tough but he does not distribute the ball all that well - dribbles way too much in my opinion and is a real liability at the top of the zone on defense.

I stick with Howard, live with the growing pains and take advantage of his very good court vision.

That's pretty damning. Sorry, but I just don't see that in this team. I think it's possible to mistake confusion and indecision and inexperience for "not giving their all."
By saying "bust butt", I am not just talking about physical effort, but mental as well. I do not consider the expenditure of discombobulated physical energy busting butt. Mental effort has to do with O spacing, learning the Zone, knowing when to shoot, driving in a controlled fashion, and focus when actually shooting. I just don't see a lot of that. Now, of course, part of that is on the players and part on the Staff.