Goal for next year | Syracusefan.com

Goal for next year

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Simple goal for next year is to have less than two blowout losses (losing by more than 15). Team folded like a cheap suit way too many times this year. I can’t remember an SU team with so many blowout losses on a year. Can’t have the same type of volatility next year.

Simple goal for next year is to have less than two blowout losses (losing by more than 15). Team folded like a cheap suit way too many times this year. I can’t remember an SU team with so many blowout losses on a year. Can’t have the same type of volatility next year.
If certain things continue next year, it becomes a Red problem and I would agree this is def up there. I trust Red will get it done.

2021: 16 wins (JB)
2022: 17 wins (JB)
2023: 20 wins (Red)

We have our highest rated recruit in a decade coming in. 1st team all defense coming back in Maliq. JJ is a proven 16ppg scorer in the ACC. Choppa could be legit. The portal is open.

I think an at large bid is the goal. A top 8 seed

1) Find a good old fashion ball handler who knows how to get their teammates involved in the game, find them when they are open aand keep the ball moving. It would be nice if he could also shoot the ball from the outside.

2) Find a good rebounder who has good size and knows how to score inside and occasionally from the outside.

3) Applies to 1 and 2, find players that play game and don’t mouth off to their coaches, teammates, fans and the refs.

2021: 16 wins (JB)
2022: 17 wins (JB)
2023: 20 wins (Red)

We have our highest rated recruit in a decade coming in. 1st team all defense coming back in Maliq. JJ is a proven 16ppg scorer in the ACC. Choppa could be legit. The portal is open.

I think an at large bid is the goal. A top 8 seed
I'll honestly take bubble next year. Like being ACTUALLY on it, not pretend.

Raise the talent level next year. Get in the portal and import some size and muscle up front that can play with physical ACC teams. Every good team bullied us in the paint. Tonight was unwatchable. Moore and Freeman should improve the perimeter shooting which was also horrible this year.

NCAA Tournament. Ranked at some point during ACC play.

Moore and Freeman look pretty good and anyone who returns will be a JR with a lot of experience there is no one on the roster that I think has peaked as a player. Those two plus McLeod and Westry are going to be big adds. Quality over quantity in the portal just give me 1 really good senior.

Brown for example probably won't improve at creating steals but rebounding, shooting, and passing all should and he's already really good. Isn't JJ athletic enough to become an average defender? Westry will bring toughness D and rebounding. JR Bell could be extremely good.

We need inside scoring and a shooter that can do more than just stand still and shoot. When teams went on runs against us we didn't have that guy that could stabilize us with a high percentage shot when the guards couldn't get to the basket, and we couldn't make them from the outside consistently enough. We also need to not give up a million offensive rebounds.

goal should be to win the national championship

am I missing something here???
That can be the ultimate goal, but the sequence of events that requires is insanely unlikely, even for the best teams in the country.

Last edited:
We need a point guard who can protect the ball, distribute well and make sound decisions. Copeland distributes well but needs work on the other two, especially ball protection. If he stays in Syracuse over the summer, he will have 7 months to work on his deficiencies with our coaches. Not impossible as he appears to be a good kid.

Cuffe is not a suitable backup PG so we still need to look to the portal. Would be nice if 1 or 2 of our centers would move along so that we can portal in a capable and steady replacement.

Other than that, we have to be realistic about what we can do. Freeman and Choppa will be great additions and it is a matter of the guys who come back to work hard from today to season opener to get better.

This year was he gets a pass as it was year 1. As long as he was over .500 nothing to worry about. But going forward…

OOC depends on SOS so hard to set a goal for those games. But we can for ACC and ACCT. Those games IMO should be the same every year.

ACC
F grade - 7 or less ACC Ws
D - 8 or 9 Ws
C - 10 or 11
B - 12 or 13
A - 14 or more
A+ - winning ACC

ACCT
A+ - winning it all
A - making the title game
B - making Semis
C - quarters