Going to the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Going to the ACC

SBU72

All Conference
With the change of conference mostly finically driven, will that mean a change in OFC schedule or even a change in menu? SU plays mostly an East Coast OFC schedule at home because of finances but if the ACC itself is going to add more money to the school, can they now afford to play a schedule that includes more away games which means probably better teams? Also, if the money is much better will SU, in the not to distant future, build a basketball only facility holding in the 20-25,000 seat range because they don't need the 26 -30,000 a few games a year? Will the dome itself get upgraded?

With the change of conference mostly finically driven, will that mean a change in OFC schedule or even a change in menu? SU plays mostly an East Coast OFC schedule at home because of finances but if the ACC itself is going to add more money to the school, can they now afford to play a schedule that includes more away games which means probably better teams? Also, if the money is much better will SU, in the not to distant future, build a basketball only facility holding in the 20-25,000 seat range because they don't need the 26 -30,000 a few games a year? Will the dome itself get upgraded?

I hope they dont build a new arena. No need too. The Dome is cheap and sufficient. Look at Louisville and the money they are losing per day because of the Yum Center.

No thank you.

OFC = ?

Responses to the three questions in your post:
OOC Schedule - Very good question. We know for certain that SU has added home games to ballance their books because of football attendance-related shortfalls in the athletic department. We know this because University administrators have told us this.

With more money from the ACC, they should be free to add away games and those away games could or should be against better competition. But will that happen? My experience is that once you show the bean counters more revenue, they will fight you tooth and nail to keep it. Boeheim might be able to get a few more away games, but there will be a lot of internal pressure to keep all the home games w have.

A New Basketball Facility - Very, very unlikely to happen. First, it would cost a LOT of money. Second, the Dome is perfectly adequate. A new basketball facility is an extreme extravagance and there's no way SU ever builds it unless the Dome somehow becomes inadequate.

Upgrading the Dome - It's already been upgraded. What is it that the Dome lacks? SU isn't going to throw money at a non-existent problems.

Every year in the budgeting process, the University develops a long list of what all the various parts of the University need. They then prioritize that list and use the revenue they have from the various sources to fund those priorities. They literally draw a line. Projects they fund are "above the line". Projects that they don't fund are "below the line".

And a project to upgrade the Dome --- whatever that means --- has to compete with other places the money could be spent. SU doesn't have a wall between Athletics and the rest of the University.

With an 18 game conference schedule and a tournament that will give us 3 games a year that leaves 10 non-conference games to schedule. 1 of which will be in the ACC/B1G which should present a great game at home and tough road game each year. The other 9 games I believe we will play two of Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown each year one at home and one on the road. The other 7 non-conferences game will be against Colgate, and six top of their conference lower Division 1 schools like Detroit, Siena, Cansisus, Davidson, Central Connecticut type schools each year. So the schedule will be upgraded for sure with 18 ACC games, 1 tournament(3 games usually with multiple BCS teams), 1 ACC/B1G challenge game, 2 old Big East schools, Colgate, and 6 tomato cans.

With an 18 game conference schedule and a tournament that will give us 3 games a year that leaves 10 non-conference games to schedule. 1 of which will be in the ACC/B1G which should present a great game at home and tough road game each year. The other 9 games I believe we will play two of Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown each year one at home and one on the road. The other 7 non-conferences game will be against Colgate, and six top of their conference lower Division 1 schools like Detroit, Siena, Cansisus, Davidson, Central Connecticut type schools each year. So the schedule will be upgraded for sure with 18 ACC games, 1 tournament(3 games usually with multiple BCS teams), 1 ACC/B1G challenge game, 2 old Big East schools, Colgate, and 6 tomato cans.
The ACC/B1G challenge is pretty much the same as the BE/SEC. SU has always played in a tournament (sometimes 3 games, sometimes 4 with finals around NYC area) I only see upgrade by playing 2 games against old BE foes. And those will take place of the h-n-h series against like Virginia and NCSt so that really is only 1 game. So unless the they return to playing tournaments like Maui, or Puerto Rico or such, they hardly are upgrading the schedule.

The ACC/B1G challenge is pretty much the same as the BE/SEC. SU has always played in a tournament (sometimes 3 games, sometimes 4 with finals around NYC area) I only see upgrade by playing 2 games against old BE foes. And those will take place of the h-n-h series against like Virginia and NCSt so that really is only 1 game. So unless the they return to playing tournaments like Maui, or Puerto Rico or such, they hardly are upgrading the schedule.
We aren't going to see that much of a change in the scheduling with only 10 games really to schedule 1 will be ACC/B1G, 2 will be old BE games, 1 Colgate that leaves 6 games I am sure those last 6 games will be decided by MH he may choose to make 1 more game a legit home/home, but the other 5 games will be decent/non-RPI killing teams like Detroit, Siena that will be pay games. I know that since 2004 JB has tried to schedule more home games in the non-conference to makeup revenue for the SU AD that was lost from FB attendance. I bet if the Dome was filled up for football JB may schedule a couple more home/homes. That is why I buy 4 season tickets for football each year just to help the Athletic Department even though I can't make all the games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom