Golf in Cuse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Golf in Cuse?

I like Camillus but to me, it seems like their prices are really high and do not match up with the quality of the course.

I know my guys are reluctant to play there because of the cost. If they dropped their prices to be more competitive with Green Lakes, Sunset Ridge, Foxfire and Links at Erie Village, they would get a lot more play.

Maybe they don't care about getting play from the general public. It looks that way to me.

Sunset is toast after 8/1 though. Admittedly haven’t played Camillus in a while but heard it was pricing itself out. Raddison i was at earlier in spring and it was good, but that’s lousy about the tees OburgOrange

Radisson has priced itself out on weekends no doubt. Tee boxes are a mess. You’ll pay $60 there on a Saturday morning and the quality isn’t what it once was there.

Best bang for your buck is undoubtedly Green Lakes but make sure you book your tee time a week in advance and no less than that.

Links at Erie Village is nice but definitely a challenging course with narrow fairways.

Timber Banks is prolly the fanciest public club in the area. It’s nice but IMO not worth the $125 for a weekend morning round.

As others have mentioned… the suburbs East of Rochester have some really great golf for cheap. If you’re willing to drive about an hour you can play Ravenwood, Greystone, Wayne Hills, Blue Herron Hills. All are worth the money for the course. Ravenwood and Greystone being the nicest, and most challenging of the bunch.

i'm a lower tier-location guy

love vesper, orchard vali, tanner, green lakes, rogues roost, etc. Lyndon if you want to get a hole in one though!

Raddison and Camillus are nice too
Camillus is a gem. Last few times out , Radisson has not been in good shape. I am partial to Timber, but dollar for dollar it’s hard to beat Camillus.
Our favorite local Mexican place, Tres Primos, is about 10 minutes from there.

Sunset is toast after 8/1 though. Admittedly haven’t played Camillus in a while but heard it was pricing itself out. Raddison i was at earlier in spring and it was good, but that’s lousy about the tees OburgOrange
What do you mean Sunset is toast after 8/1? It is closing?

Probably beat up and maybe dried up too after months of play and little rain. I always enjoy Sunset and remember when it first opened w/ only 9 holes. It's come a long way.

Probably beat up and maybe dried up too after months of play and little rain. I always enjoy Sunset and remember when it first opened w/ only 9 holes. It's come a long way.
The only time I play there is December/January. If it’s nice out and no snow they are open

Understood.

Lots of rain in the forecast after this weekend so hopefully Links and all the other courses in the area stay relatively green and lush.

It has been really hot but we have gotten enough rain so far to keep the grass at most local courses in good shape. Let's hope that continues.

Understood.

Lots of rain in the forecast after this weekend so hopefully Links and all the other courses in the area stay relatively green and lush.

It has been really hot but we have gotten enough rain so far to keep the grass at most local courses in good shape. Let's hope that continues.
Great to hear. I hope they stay green and lush. I'll be back in 'Cuse in a couple weeks to play Bellevue a bunch (member-guest) and the Links at Erie Village once.

My buddies and I are coming up for the Stanford game. We all grew up in cuse but haven’t played golf there in 40 years.

I was thinking we’d play Green Lakes and Erie Village. Turning stone is not available at our times. Any other ideas? Any one know a way to get on Drumlins? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Florange44
Love Green Lakes.

Haha sorry should have specified -- my buddies and I like to call it a parking lot this time of year. Can be dried out really bad and the ball can run forever (good or bad lol)

Not Syracuse golf but did get to play Oakmont Sunday and Monday. It was unbelievable.
i can’t wait to see how the pros play the us open next year. Fun story - Walking between 16 and 17, my caddy says give me your golf ball. He procedes to whip my ball in the tall grass. I’m like dude, that was a new prov1. He then tells me that grass is the test rough area the superintendent and usga are experimenting with for next year. I could barely see my ball and I was certainly not getting anything on it other than a wedge. It was wild.

Last edited:
Not Syracuse golf but did get to play Oakmont Sunday and Monday. It was unbelievable.
i can’t wait to see how the pros play the us open next year. Fun story - Walking between 16 and 17, my caddy says give me your golf ball. He procedes to whip my ball in the tall grass. I’m like dude, that was a new prov1. He then tells me that grass is the test rough area the superintendent and usga are experimenting with for next year. I could barely see my ball and I was certainly not getting anything on it other than a wedge. It was wild.
That's so awesome. Hope you avoided the church pews.

I played Winged Foot West almost 10 years ago (it was stuffy AF). It's amazing the feeling you get when you're on a special course like that. It's just different.

That's so awesome. Hope you avoided the church pews.

I played Winged Foot West almost 10 years ago (it was stuffy AF). It's amazing the feeling you get when you're on a special course like that. It's just different.
I sort of went in intentionally on day 1 just to “try”. The problem they have with their bunkers at the moment Is the bunkers are dead. where ever ball hits it stays Leading to a lot of shots right up against lip. under advice of caddy, I went out sideways Back to fairway. Was in a fair amount of bunkers with little to no chance to advance.
they will have to address the bunkers as pros will go crazy If they don’t roll back to center of bunker.
it was different for sure. We got to stay in cottages along 18,amazing.

I sort of went in intentionally on day 1 just to “try”. The problem they have with their bunkers at the moment Is the bunkers are dead. where ever ball hits it stays Leading to a lot of shots right up against lip. under advice of caddy, I went out sideways Back to fairway. Was in a fair amount of bunkers with little to no chance to advance.
they will have to address the bunkers as pros will go crazy If they don’t roll back to center of bunker.
it was different for sure. We got to stay in cottages along 18,amazing.
Aren't the greens at Oakmont insane?

Watching tournaments played there on TV and playing it on a simulator, they look to be right up there with Augusta, Oakland Hills and Pinehurst #2...

It’s a great course and extremely reasonable fees. I haven’t played there this year yet, Dcuse has said they have been hit by the “ 5 hour round bug on weekends”. Get the first couple of tee times I guess.
I played there last Thursday afternoon and while the course was great the pace of play was far too slow. Place was really busy hate to see what it looks like Saturday and Sunday

I vote for Green Lakes. Great spot. I played there a few times when I was on the Hill.

We also had a house acid day in the Green Lakes state park as well if you are into staring at trees for 3 hours.

Coming At You Nba All Star GIF by NBA

Aren't the greens at Oakmont insane?

Watching tournaments played there on TV and playing it on a simulator, they look to be right up there with Augusta, Oakland Hills and Pinehurst #2...
not super insane, very playable. Just listened to caddie on where and how hard to hit. Not as fast as the member played them up to be. I play at lakeshore and used to fast rolling greens. Was talking with caddie and I mentioned oakmont didn’t seem as fast as i thought they would be. He said they were slow the 2 days we played due to prior rain.
but overall fantastic experience and course.