good article about the zone read and pistol | Syracusefan.com

good article about the zone read and pistol

Millhouse

Living Legend
i think the pistol is overrated but i thought this was great talking about the zone read.

day before a fun game, i'm getting ahead of myself but this will be the direction we go next year and if the NFL starts using it more, that makes marrone much more attractive (easy, chip) to play for. good combo of nfl and college prep.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/12/27/3792740/pistol-offense-nfl-redskins-rg3

i think the pistol is overrated but i thought this was great talking about the zone read.

day before a fun game, i'm getting ahead of myself but this will be the direction we go next year and if the NFL starts using it more, that makes marrone much more attractive (easy, chip) to play for. good combo of nfl and college prep.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/12/27/3792740/pistol-offense-nfl-redskins-rg3
I like having some zone read stuff in the offense in college. But in the pros not so much. Just too much chance of your QB getting decapitated. I guess with the rules now some of the risk is mitigated a bit but still...I saw RGIII take a lot of kill shots this year.

I like having some zone read stuff in the offense in college. But in the pros not so much. Just too much chance of your QB getting decapitated. I guess with the rules now some of the risk is mitigated a bit but still...I saw RGIII take a lot of kill shots this year.
I haven't thought of it but there has to be a better way to say ok i'm done trying to advance than sliding. maybe spiking the ball

if some guy tries to tackle you with his shoulder in your gut and you decide you're going to slide, you're taking a shoulder off your face

maybe clucking like a chicken should be the ultimate signal.

Nassib has played really well. but we limited his running/hits. I think you could run some of this in the pro's if you could find 2-3 Qbs for a roster.. Most pro teams barely have one but they are struggling to find throwers. It might be easier to find 2-3 decent qb's to run this play book than 1 good one to run what most teams do now. you see college teams survive losing the #1 qb.. not so much in the pro's.

RG3 for all the success and hype is one late FG away from no play offs and could have easily been gone for the year running this stuff so much. Vick ran , vick got hurt, the same will happen to RG3

I haven't thought of it but there has to be a better way to say ok i'm done trying to advance than sliding. maybe spiking the ball

if some guy tries to tackle you with his shoulder in your gut and you decide you're going to slide, you're taking a shoulder off your face

maybe clucking like a chicken should be the ultimate signal.
The safety word is "banana".

Sorry, obscure family guy reference just popped in my head.

Not sure there really is a better way - if you run your going to get hit, not sure it can be avoided unless they start playing two hand touch.

Good article by the way.

GRob ran the pistol. Albeit with no zone read as I recall and no success for sure. I don't think he was a man ahead of his time, but maybe.

Kirk Cousins has done very well as a rookie relieving RG3. Is that the pistol and the zone read? I'm not sure, but I am curious to see how NFL defenses adapt in the offseason. Next year will be a better test for those offenses, and if a lot of teams go in that direction on offense I expect defenses to catch up pretty quickly. But maybe not.

I don't expect the Broncos, Pats, Saints, Packers, Falcons, Colts or many others to go in that direction, but anything is possible I guess.

Nassib has played really well. but we limited his running/hits. I think you could run some of this in the pro's if you could find 2-3 Qbs for a roster.. Most pro teams barely have one but they are struggling to find throwers. It might be easier to find 2-3 decent qb's to run this play book than 1 good one to run what most teams do now. you see college teams survive losing the #1 qb.. not so much in the pro's.

RG3 for all the success and hype is one late FG away from no play offs and could have easily been gone for the year running this stuff so much. Vick ran , vick got hurt, the same will happen to RG3
skinny qbs get hurt in and out of the pocket. big qbs who don't get hurt as much don't run. but maybe they're not getting hurt because they're big, not because they avoid running. the skinny guys who get hurt happen to run.

just a theory. the really good non running qbs get rid of the ball, maybe them not getting hurt has more to do with unloading the ball. maybe the skinny guys hang on to the ball longer.

lots of maybes in this post. we're seeing more zone read in the pros than i ever thought we would.

that seahawks bills game, you would've thought that you were watching grob's teams against pat white. the linebackers were completely hopeless. wannstedt...

skinny qbs get hurt in and out of the pocket. big qbs who don't get hurt as much don't run. but maybe they're not getting hurt because they're big, not because they avoid running. the skinny guys who get hurt happen to run.

just a theory. the really good non running qbs get rid of the ball, maybe them not getting hurt has more to do with unloading the ball. maybe the skinny guys hang on to the ball longer.

lots of maybes in this post. we're seeing more zone read in the pros than i ever thought we would.

that seahawks bills game, you would've thought that you were watching grob's teams against pat white. the linebackers were completely hopeless. wannstedt...
True...but the bills d also looked completely hopeless in the first pats game and the pats ran the same 2 off tackle plays to Brandon Bolden and Ridley 30 times in a row. Sorry that was too easy. On a serious note I do think that the zone read at the nfl level with an rg3 or a Wilson, or even kaepernick, is very hard to defend. But...you need a guy who is really a legit nfl passer (not pat white). And then you need to keep them healthy. And you probably also won't have them still playing at a Brady/manning level when they are 35/36. Which isn't to say you shouldn't use it if you have the right guy, but I think it does have drawbacks.

GRob ran the pistol. Albeit with no zone read as I recall and no success for sure. I don't think he was a man ahead of his time, but maybe.
Phil Earley brought the Pistol to the Dome, thanks to his experience at Nevada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom