Good article on Ashton Broyld | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good article on Ashton Broyld

Ran into a group of football players yesterday they all agreed Charlie will most likely be the starting QB for your Syracuse University Football team as it enters the ACC.
I think Charlie is going to surprise a lot of people. He is a far better athlete than credit for. He might have a higher ceiling than Nassib but only has one year to prove it.

I would like to see Broyld redshirt in 2013 with a focus on QB. Give him this spring, fall of 2013, and 2014 spring to learn the new playbook inside and out - maybe the new coaching staff can get him to understand it better, though it is certainly his responsibility to learn it. After the spring of 2014, if he still cannot be a QB then move him to TE, RB, WR, LB, or wherever.

Looking at the roster, there is no place on the field where we NEED Ashton in 2013.
And those other positions are looking pretty good for SU's future (look at all the TE's!!) - but the future of quarterback at SU is downright scary! I have faith that Loeb can hold things over in 2013. If anyone else can somehow beat out Loeb for the starting job, then I will take back this post, but none of the other guys (Hunt, Kinder, Wilson, or Kimble) excite me. All I am saying is give Ash a chance!
Watch Kimble's tape. He has a chance to be special.

Watch Kimble's tape. He has a chance to be special.

I've seen all of the tapes from high school, and I do love what you see in Kimble's tape, as well as Wilson's. I just know that it's such a huge jump in the level of competition and it's so tough to predict how it's going to translate from low-level high school to major college football. I also realize those are highlight tapes - they don't show the negative plays! But yes, Kimble has an impressive athletic skill set and is quite bright as well.

One of the best athletes I played university football with never dressed a game for our team because our DC could not trust him with all the defensive assignments and checks. He transferred, was a league all-star, and CFL draft pick. He is now onto his second contract with the Stampeders.

Point is that some coaches value assignment precision over athleticism, and others, vice-versa. I have a feeling (just a feeling) Marrone was the former and GMC will be the latter.

Broyld will be on the field and contributing this fall, just not at QB.

You talking about Deron?

If he couldn't learn the playbook and they weren't going to cut it down greatly for him, why would they not redshirt him? What a waste of a year.

VT was more than happy to cut down the playbook and RS Michael Vick and that seemed to work out well.

I know Broyld isn't Vick, but RS the kid and tie the playbook to his belt.

This is like watching Pitt totally mess up using Dorin Dickerson until late in his career.

I think that the reason is that the coaches didn't necessarily expect the offense to take off like it did. The perception going into last season was that we lacked playmakers and had unproven RBs, and that Ashton's athleticism would make him one of our top playmakers.

Well, Nassib / Lemon / Sales emerged as playmakers, and the RBs while they started slow ended up being great, so Ashton wasn't needed like it was envisioned. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish they would have found a way to redshirt him, as well.

The real bottom line is that SU needs to find a way to get the ball in his hands and get him headed up the field. If they can implement him into the offense, getting him the ball in any way shape or form, they will be a better team because of it.

I had him in my mix of three possible players.

Karl McCartney

Demetri Stewart

Deron Mayo

Nice detective work.

As a Canadian, I'm always curious to see how much our neighbours to the south follow the CFL (if at all).

Obviously football in the U.S. is a completely different animal, but the game is growing big time in Canada with 12 Canucks signing to play FBS football last season.

The CFL is also slowly turning into a decent developmental league for the NFL. 14 ex-CFLers currently on NFL rosters with several more already signed to head to mini camps this spring.

Quebec has aboot the same number of kids playing minor football as they do playing minor hockey.

Not trying to hijack this thread (not that this topic even could), just feel that the Canadian game and players don't get nearly the respect they deserve.

That's not true at all. It was his inability to learn the playbook. Our staff wanted him out there and couldn't trust him to make the right play.
Bnoro -- you were replying to my point that Nassib was set at QB (no need to spot Broyld there); and Smith and PTG earned their spots as #1 and #2 RBs. Marrone and crew proved over and over that they ride their vets at RB. Consider Marrone's history with Carter and Bailey. How many carries do you suggest they wanted to take away from Smith & PTG? I am not saying that play-book knowledge (or the fumble against Minny for that matter) weren't also factors. The fact is that Smith & PTG, by ball security and results, deserved their roles.

Look -- Marrone didn't play other frosh at skill positions either. In his 4 year history. The fact that Broyld got his chances in half of the games puts him at the top of the list in Marrone's tenure.

Bnoro -- you were replying to my point that Nassib was set at QB (no need to spot Broyld there); and Smith and PTG earned their spots as #1 and #2 RBs. Marrone and crew proved over and over that they ride their vets at RB. Consider Marrone's history with Carter and Bailey. How many carries do you suggest they wanted to take away from Smith & PTG? I am not saying that play-book knowledge (or the fumble against Minny for that matter) weren't also factors. The fact is that Smith & PTG, by ball security and results, deserved their roles.

Look -- Marrone didn't play other frosh at skill positions either. In his 4 year history. The fact that Broyld got his chances in half of the games puts him at the top of the list in Marrone's tenure.
I was responding to the fact you said he didn't play for three reasons, Nassib, Smith, and Gulley. That's not true. Our staff wanted him to play all over the field. He could have gained a lot more touches by knowing the playbook, and he would have got snaps at RB and Slot WR. If we could have put him and Smith/PTG in the same backfield that would be dangerous, and we might do that this year. The best players play, and this kid has the talent.

Carter and Bailey played because we didn't really have any other options when they were there, either. Not a great example.