Good...not Great | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good...not Great

If 'ville didn't shoot themselves in the foot with 4 consecutive turnovers inside their 30, this one is probably a lot closer.
Yes, and if Dan Marino was their quarterback we wouldn't have stood a chance! :rolleyes:
Seriously, I hear what you're saying- but this falls into the "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle"-type category.
We blew out a bad team, who played like, wait for it...a BAD team.
A couple of years ago, we lose this game because we KNOW what bad teams are capable of.
Let's just be glad that our C game produced a 31 pt blowout, and get ready to bring it versus the Domers.

It was frustrating how the refs only saw holds when we scored TDs
Dungey was really trying to get Custis a TD as Elmore was wide open on that INT
This game could have easily been a 70 pointer

Agree on this Louisville was holding on the majority of their pass plays, sometimes very obviously and with the white cap staring right at it, but no flags.

We played a team that had given up on their coach. It’s like the UCONN win in terms of value.

We’re the same team we’ve been - capable of winning the one of the next two or both - if we play our A game.

We are capable of beating a Clemson or a Notre Dame if we play our A game and they play their B- games.

As we progress in this system and get more depth and better recruits, it will develop into us being able to beat Top 5 teams by us playing our A game and them playing their A- game.

LGO!!!

Cheers,
Neil

"Good not great" is exactly the right perspective, and a far better assessment than some of the crap thrown out after the game last night.

I'm sorry if pointing that out hurt your feelings - if so, maybe you're the one who needs the Snickers.

Well, I wasn't spewing any crap, but only attempting to point out that we'll have to clean up our sloppiness and be sharper to stand a chance next week in the Bronx against ND. But yet you felt the need to be antagonistic in response, and coming after me where I wasn't even communicating with you to begin with. Go revisit them, if you wish, and you'll see for yourself. You clearly won't be able to quote anything of mine in there that was anything more. Go revisit Lefty's post and Sobe's as well. I'll stand by what I said last night, however, that you have this way about you in being truculent, it really isn't anything new.

Moreover, it's a game thread, where emotions are always high and in the moment, etc. Jeez, I recall the UNC game thread a few weeks back where some 'well respected' posters could've really used a Snickers, but hey, again, it's the game thread, and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

You don't have to agree with them or their viewpoint, but you don't have to be antagonistic or belittling, which is another tendency of yours. Your response to my post(s) is just an example, actually, you changed your one post/response 3 separate times! First, with a condescending "Wowza" and then deleting that, and substituted it with the screaming character attachment. Then, yet again, removed that and substituted it with the belittling "objectiveness" "LMFAO!" Completely unnecessary. But hey, kudos to you though, you managed to do it within the 4 minute allotment window, so the 'edited' message didn't show up in your response dialog.

The score indicates a blowout and we played well, but Louisville certainly helped us with a continuance of their poor play.

I would have loved to see a well-oiled machine put up 70+ points on Louisville, and they were there to be had. To see everything clicking and as perfect as could be would be one of two ways I'd have liked to see us enter next weekend's game.

But with this outcome, we are poised to be confident but not over confident. There are a lot of things for the coaches to clean up and demand focus from the team if we are going to beat ND. And because there is clearly improvement to be had, and a tremendous opportunity to make a HUGE statement on the national stage, I think the team will continue to make strides and fulfill Dino's vision and this teams destiny as the team that turned it around for SU Football.

Let's Go Orange! Beat Notre Dame!

You make good points and sure, we beat the Ville with our C game. they are a recent powerhouse that has become as insignificant as FSU. shows you just how important a QB is.

The game gives the coaches plenty of teaching points for the ND practice week. Again, God love Cuse FB bc the schedule sea has parted for us this year after multiple recent years of brutal schedules.

I just thought we had a C to C+ kind of game. Basing that off what I know we're capable of. I didn't really break it down though.

I'm probably a harsh grader.

C game is my grade also and its uncanny how we have pulled off most or all of our wins vs decent teams playinI g their C or D games. i will give NCST a B averaging the O's A game and the D's C game and that's being nice.

Don't think the LB and secondary can get better than Cs. They constantly were out if their lanes, missed assignments and tailed to get off blocks. When we get gashed for huge runs by QBs including second stringer. THREE times hard to give them a better grade.
Offensive failure in the red zone is problematic.

Again, good win with what I think was our C game. A game gets us 80.

I will premise this with saying i am tickled pink and floating around work and anywhere else the last 3 weeks about us being not only ranked, but ranked 13.

That said, given the way the schedule has broke for us in terms of timing and good programs just being historically bad; i am still not sure just how good we are. i mean are just a few spots from OSU and better than UF?

C+. We left way too many points on the board. Eric wasnt sharp passing, fumbles... Still this team crushed them. Unreal that we play just ok and crush Louisville.

I know, AGAIN, the "on paper " thing just didn't apply to our schedule this year. FSU, unc, ville, uconn, and even wake were monumentally bad this year. This was our year luck wise. we are still doing this wo a running game, questionable receiving corps, and a D that still gets carved up.

Well, I wasn't spewing any crap, but only attempting to point out that we'll have to clean up our sloppiness and be sharper to stand a chance next week in the Bronx against ND. But yet you felt the need to be antagonistic in response, and coming after me where I wasn't even communicating with you to begin with. Go revisit them, if you wish, and you'll see for yourself. You clearly won't be able to quote anything of mine in there that was anything more. Go revisit Lefty's post and Sobe's as well. I'll stand by what I said last night, however, that you have this way about you in being truculent, it really isn't anything new.

Moreover, it's a game thread, where emotions are always high and in the moment, etc. Jeez, I recall the UNC game thread a few weeks back where some 'well respected' posters could've really used a Snickers, but hey, again, it's the game thread, and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

You don't have to agree with them or their viewpoint, but you don't have to be antagonistic or belittling, which is another tendency of yours. Your response to my post(s) is just an example, actually, you changed your one post/response 3 separate times! First, with a condescending "Wowza" and then deleting that, and substituted it with the screaming character attachment. Then, yet again, removed that and substituted it with the belittling "objectiveness" "LMFAO!" Completely unnecessary. But hey, kudos to you though, you managed to do it within the 4 minute allotment window, so the 'edited' message didn't show up in your response dialog.

When you intentionally mock the words of others in not one but two separate threads, then you're the one being antagonistic and you give up the right to whine about others being mean.

Personally speaking, I couldn't care less what you think about my posts or me as a poster. If you don't agree with what I post, or believe me to be antagonistic and truculent, there's a simple solution -- instead of getting your panties in a bunch just skip over my posts, avoid my threads, or put me on ignore. Problem solved.

But don't condescend to throw the first [an in this case, second] stone and then complain when someone responds - especially in a fairly benign manner.

Edit -- I took your advice and went back through that Louisville game day thread, and found two exchanges between us -- neither of which was especially pointed [in one, you made fun of the words used in my post, and in another you basically lashed out with the same criticisms as above. The most "antagonistic" thing I can see "coming at you" was me quoting your use of the term "objective" with a "lmao" after it -- hardly very inflammatory. I have no idea what you are talking about re: screaming character attachment - the only thing I can find in that thread is the meme of Jennifer Lawrence giving the sarcastic OK thumbs up.

And not that this is any of your business, but SoBe and I have been "friends" on this forum for several years. We've had numerous off-line conversations, gotten to know each other fairly well, and we're on great terms. There are many topics that we don't agree upon -- and we have great dialogues that are respectful... as was the very one you are complaining about. SoBe doesn't need you coming to his defense, nor did that exchange between us warrant that hysterical overreaction.

Last edited:
In looking back we have not really come close to reaching our potential. If Tommy steps up and if we can replace Slayton next years team is going to be very strong. Im not worried about the Oline as much as others as i think that Serve steps up at LT Heckle will be strong at Center and the Davus boys are beast. Wr and Rb are going to improve significantly. Same at LB and our secondary will be our strongest position group. Specials lights out.
We are going to be a very tough out.

When you intentionally mock the words of others in not one but two separate threads, then you're the one being antagonistic and you give up the right to whine about others being mean.

Personally speaking, I couldn't care less what you think about my posts or me as a poster. If you don't agree with what I post, or believe me to be antagonistic and truculent, there's a simple solution -- instead of getting your panties in a bunch just skip over my posts, avoid my threads, or put me on ignore. Problem solved.

But don't condescend to throw the first [an in this case, second] stone and then complain when someone responds - especially in a fairly benign manner.

Edit -- I took your advice and went back through that Louisville game day thread, and found two exchanges between us -- neither of which was especially pointed [in one, you made fun of the words used in my post, and in another you basically lashed out with the same criticisms as above. The most "antagonistic" thing I can see "coming at you" was me quoting your use of the term "objective" with a "lmao" after it -- hardly very inflammatory. I have no idea what you are talking about re: screaming character attachment - the only thing I can find in that thread is the meme of Jennifer Lawrence giving the sarcastic OK thumbs up.

And not that this is any of your business, but SoBe and I have been "friends" on this forum for several years. We've had numerous off-line conversations, gotten to know each other fairly well, and we're on great terms. There are many topics that we don't agree upon -- and we have great dialogues that are respectful... as was the very one you are complaining about. SoBe doesn't need you coming to his defense, nor did that exchange between us warrant that hysterical overreaction.

I don't respond to your posts for the reasons I have cited. I've been around these boards since the AOL days, and your antagonistic, snarky remarks to others is a common thing with you, when their viewpoint differs. As I stated, you have a way about you in that regard.

I didn't respond to any of your posts in the game thread until after you engaged me. I did respond to others though who were getting ridiculed by you, and how they needed better 'perspective.' I also did so with a wink emoticon to keep it light. But, of course, as you do, you couldn't help yourself and felt the need to engage me, and, as accustomed.

You've done this for years in these forums. A matter of fact, the first time you ever engaged me was with truculent, condescending crap. It was after a mass shooting where many were innocently killed. I simply offered my opinion that something needed to done about all of these automatic weapons and you went on to lecture me in such a belligerent manner, attempting to spell out for me the difference between automatic weapons and semi-automatic. Mind you, I didn't need an education in this matter as my father is a veteran (Korean War) and I have other Uncles & relatives whom served.

Here's the screaming character you have no idea about that you posted. Again, you altered your post 3 separate times until you got (in your mind) the largest affect you were looking to achieve.

1541972351552.png

Last edited:
In looking back we have not really come close to reaching our potential. If Tommy steps up and if we can replace Slayton next years team is going to be very strong. Im not worried about the Oline as much as others as i think that Serve steps up at LT Heckle will be strong at Center and the Davus boys are beast. Wr and Rb are going to improve significantly. Same at LB and our secondary will be our strongest position group. Specials lights out.
We are going to be a very tough out.

Spot on, i love our young guys in multiple positions. Funny, we are 8-2 and our wrs and lbs are still a huge question mark this year and going forward. ED has masked alot of our weaknesses as the schedule has.

That said i an super excited about TD, thu he will be a superstar and the way DINO has managed his PT is important and perfect fir his development. The Oline has depth with alot of versatility, and the Dline is young and exciting.

I don't respond to your posts for the reasons I have cited. I've been around these boards since the AOL days, and your antagonistic, snarky remarks to others is a common thing with you, when their viewpoint differs. As I stated, you have a way about you in that regard.

I didn't respond to any of your posts in the game thread until after you engaged me. I did respond to others though who were getting ridiculed by you, and how they needed better perspective. I also did so with a wink emoticon to keep it light. But, of course, as you do, you couldn't help yourself and felt the need to engage me, and, as accustomed.

You've done this for years in these forums. A matter of fact, the first time you ever engaged me was with truculent, condescending crap. It was after a mass shooting where many were innocently killed. I simply offered my opinion that something needed to done about all of these automatic weapons and you went on to lecture me in such a belligerent manner, attempting to spell for me the difference between automatic weapons and semi-automatic. Mind you, I didn't need an education in this matter as my father is a veteran (Korean War) and I have other Uncles & relatives whom served.

Here's the screaming character you have no idea about that you posted. Again, you altered your post 3 separate times until you got (in your mind) the largest affect you were looking to achieve.

View attachment 144091/QUOTE]

So you got upset about a clip of Captain Kirk shouting "Khan?" Okay...

I probably invoked that to poke fun at how indignantly confrontational your post to me was, but must have deleted it to keep things friendly. Contrast that with you taking screen shots and apparently keeping tabs on what I post -- bizarre.

Here's what all of these seems like orangecuse -- you don't like me as a poster, so you feel justified in making ad hominem attacks. There was some fairly innocuous stuff that was tossed around during the game thread, but you overreacted to it because -- as you've painstakingly pointed out -- you don't like me. You chose to get offended by my posts to others, and then repeatedly make mocking posts poking fun of what I said. And then you did it again the following day.

And while you lecture me about how different ideas can get exchanged in a game thread that is often heated and emotional, you take offense to me expressing an opinion in that thread--an opinion that lots of posters I respect agreed with in that thread, by the way--because, again, you aren't predisposed to like anything that I post. So for others, it's fine to express their opinions and disagree in the game thread. But with me, you're justified hypocritically deriding and calling me names, all while condemning me for being truculent like you're being.

For the record to point out that these past two days, it's been YOU who's been antagonistic, and smarmy, and truculent, and condescending whatever other thesaurus words you'd like to go with.

Orangecuse, I remember that mass shooting thread, and I actually remember that exchange you reference. I also remember being surprised with your overreaction -- then as now -- over me asking you whether you knew the difference between semi-automatic versus automatic weapons. It wasn't a belligerent exchange, it was you reading into my post and making a false attribution about my intent, again because you were already predisposed to dislike me. Actually, thank you for explaining -- that makes a lot of sense now. I'm anti-gun, by the way -- maybe that fed into your negative reaction. Whatever. I'm not going to get into politics on the football board -- this is a pointless exchange with someone who isn't looking for common ground, just trolling for an argument that has been largely unspoken and apparently one sided, apparently for many years. I reread that Louisville game thread after your last post, and the "engagement" between us you are complaining about was not remotely heated and barely confrontational -- you just chose to view it that way. Ditto my post earlier in this thread to you.

Put me on ignore, and I'll do the same -- problem solved.

So you got upset about a clip of Captain Kirk shouting "Khan?" Okay...

I probably invoked that to poke fun at how indignantly confrontational your post to me was, but must have deleted it to keep things friendly. Contrast that with you taking screen shots and apparently keeping tabs on what I post -- bizarre.

Here's what all of these seems like orangecuse -- you don't like me as a poster, so you feel justified in making ad hominem attacks. There was some fairly innocuous stuff that was tossed around during the game thread, but you overreacted to it because -- as you've painstakingly pointed out -- you don't like me. You chose to get offended by my posts to others, and then repeatedly make mocking posts poking fun of what I said. And then you did it again the following day.

And while you lecture me about how different ideas can get exchanged in a game thread that is often heated and emotional, you take offense to me expressing an opinion in that thread--an opinion that lots of posters I respect agreed with in that thread, by the way--because, again, you aren't predisposed to like anything that I post. So for others, it's fine to express their opinions and disagree in the game thread. But with me, you're justified hypocritically deriding and calling me names, all while condemning me for being truculent like you're being.

For the record to point out that these past two days, it's been YOU who's been antagonistic, and smarmy, and truculent, and condescending whatever other thesaurus words you'd like to go with.

Orangecuse, I remember that mass shooting thread, and I actually remember that exchange you reference. I also remember being surprised with your overreaction -- then as now -- over me asking you whether you knew the difference between semi-automatic versus automatic weapons. It wasn't a belligerent exchange, it was you reading into my post and making a false attribution about my intent, again because you were already predisposed to dislike me. Actually, thank you for explaining -- that makes a lot of sense now. I'm anti-gun, by the way -- maybe that fed into your negative reaction. Whatever. I'm not going to get into politics on the football board -- this is a pointless exchange with someone who isn't looking for common ground, just trolling for an argument that has been largely unspoken and apparently one sided, apparently for many years. I reread that Louisville game thread after your last post, and the "engagement" between us you are complaining about was not remotely heated and barely confrontational -- you just chose to view it that way. Ditto my post earlier in this thread to you.

Put me on ignore, and I'll do the same -- problem solved.

Not bizarre. You stated you didn't know what I was talking about. Since you deleted that post (after I had already quoted it in the thread) I just went back to the game thread and screen shot and pasted it here so that you could see what you claimed you had no idea about.

In regards to the rest, interpretations vary...so I'll end my exchange here by leaving it there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom