Good observation re: paying players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good observation re: paying players

Kobe got a deal as #17 pick.

Kobe went to his high school prom with Brani (sp?). I agree, he didn't need any help with his profile but the Kobes and Lebrons are rare (and by the way should be able to skip college). But almost every other kid, that's not the case.

Yeah. Using Bagley as an example here isn't a great one. Bagley would have gotten a shoe deal if he were prep to pro. Bagley's exposure actually may have hurt him a bit (he's a tweener; his defense stinks, etc). Puma had to reach to sign someone. They got Bagley.

It hurt his draft position (potentially) not his profile to the general public. Again, we know these things are true:

-- Shoe companies want a name with upside
-- Some very rare recruits are so big they end up being big names before college (kobe, lebron, etc.)
-- A bunch of kids every year could get deals without going to college
-- We all know the top recruits better than some of our family members (or at least we think we do)

But the last point that seems difficult to convey is just how little the general public knows about recruiting. Obviously Zion Williamson has a huge following on YouTube, but even for him, his profile will absolutely blow up if he starts coming in and dunking all over dudes at Duke. He's known, he could get a shoe deal yesterday -- that we all agree on. But if he windmills a dunk against Carolina at Cameron and the announcers and the place are going insane and it's all over the internet all that stuff -- it legitimizes his stardom. That adds leverage to a contract negotiation for a shoe deal.

Don't disagree to a large extent but I've yet to see a model that lays out a clear way to determine the value. In other words, CJ Fair clearly has marketing value b/c he's CJ Fair at Syracuse. But Syracuse gives cache to CJ Fair and accounts for a big part of the value he has. The two are almost inextricably intertwined b/c CJ Fair at CW Post is still a great player and a potential pro prospect but he has very little marketability.

I don't know -- tough question. I tend to think coming up with a percentage of marketing dollars generated specifically with that players' likeness and a payout of some sort for promotional materials featuring the player would be a solid compromise. I'm not dying for these kids to be at Bill Rapp selling autographs for $10 a pop every saturday. Not sure that really benefits either party all that much.
I forgot to mention, I do see your point about the autographs. It probably doesn't help the player's image too much but I could see kids jumping at any chance to make some cash. On the other hand, I think players are entitled to make some money if other entities are. Not sure what the ideal solution is.

It hurt his draft position (potentially) not his profile to the general public. Again, we know these things are true:

-- Shoe companies want a name with upside
-- Some very rare recruits are so big they end up being big names before college (kobe, lebron, etc.)
-- A bunch of kids every year could get deals without going to college
-- We all know the top recruits better than some of our family members (or at least we think we do)

But the last point that seems difficult to convey is just how little the general public knows about recruiting. Obviously Zion Williamson has a huge following on YouTube, but even for him, his profile will absolutely blow up if he starts coming in and dunking all over dudes at Duke. He's known, he could get a shoe deal yesterday -- that we all agree on. But if he windmills a dunk against Carolina at Cameron and the announcers and the place are going insane and it's all over the internet all that stuff -- it legitimizes his stardom. That adds leverage to a contract negotiation for a shoe deal.

Williamson likely needs it more than Bagley. Williamson is a 6'6" power forward. Bagley is 6'11". I mean, to my original point, a guy like Bagley didn't need Duke.

Williamson, as it pertains to his NBA potential, at his size, regardless of his skill and ranking right now, has more questions to answer.

are we talking paying college players and funding full tuition costs ? let's make it either or at least.