Good presser from JB | Syracusefan.com

Good presser from JB

I think its in response to the teams flat start, our #4 ranking and the countdown to 900.

He's right though we have a lot of work to do.

question :" jim...when is this team gonna play a road game?"

question :" jim...when is this team gonna play a road game?"
I haven't watched the presser, so I hope either you're making that up or the person asking did so in jest.

Did someone really ask him that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Really cracked me up when someone asked him who/what that rant was directed at. Was wondering myself. Guessing it was the old early season wake up to the team. Definitely not the first time he's done it

Not that I heard, but boy did he express his opinion about where the team is at right now. Keeping it real, great stuff.

I think there will be more than one opportunity to reference the presser to some of our more overly optimistic posters as the week goes on.

I think its in response to the teams flat start, our #4 ranking and the countdown to 900.

He's right though we have a lot of work to do.

Yep, that whole rant was directed at the team. It was a "you're not as good as you think you are" gut check. Praise them when they're down, challenge them when they're up.

JB is right on the money about this team. And about some of the fans who are calling this one of the premier teams--if not the best--in the country. This team has a ton of work to do to get to that level. Can they? Probably. Do we have the talent? No doubt. It goes back to old rule about writing prose: show don't tell.

Yep, that whole rant was directed at the team. It was a "you're not as good as you think you are" gut check. Praise them when they're down, challenge them when they're up.

Agreed and he kind of said as much that they are kids and they hear the things being said about them. I agree he need to keep them focused and working hard. All the pieces to the puzzle are there, but we still have a number of inexperienced players. Potential doesn't win games and as JB noted, if they attack the season the right way as coaches as players they will be well prepared in March. Guys like Cooney, DC, etc. just starting to tap into their potential, cj is in a bit of a funk and scary to say but MCW can get a lot better. Besides sending a message at team, he made a effort to make a point tough early games do little to help you come March...while I somewhat agree, that argument isn't quite as black and white as saying anyone who thinks a tough game in Nov/Dec helps you for the tournament knows nothing about basketball as was stated.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

What I got out of that presser.

1) JB will be shortening his bench soon

2) JB is not happy with the play of DC2, Rak, and CJ

Really cracked me up when someone asked him who/what that rant was in directed at. Was wondering myself. Guessing it was the old early season wake up to the team. Definitely not the first time he's done it

That's exactly what it was. He wants to keep this team anchored in reality. Don't believe the hype. You ain't ready yet. We have a big hill to climb and a lot of work ahead before we get there. I love those presssers.

That's what I kind of got out of it too, but they conflict. How do you shorten the bench if the guys you are not happy with are starters? If he shortens the bench those starters are going to get more minutes......unless he changes the starting lineup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It was good, he was calm and articulate. It was sort of a rant, but done well. He clearly thinks the team is susceptible to reading their own press clippings. Kind of a roundabout approach though to tell the media to stop praising them!

That's what I kind of got out of it too, but they conflict. How do you shorten the bench if the guys you are not happy with are starters? If he shortens the bench those starters are going to get more minutes......unless he changes the starting lineup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

or your starters play 5 mins a game.....I think Rak and DC2 are going to battle it out for minutes and Grant is going to get a long look if CJ doesn't pick it up.

How does he shorten his bench when the youngest players played as well as they did? Who drops out of the rotation?

Agreed and he kind of said as much that they are kids and they hear the things being said about them. I agree he need to keep them focused and working hard. All the pieces to the puzzle are there, but we still have a number of inexperienced players. Potential doesn't win games and as JB noted, if they attack the season the right way as coaches as players they will be well prepared in March. Guys like Cooney, DC, etc. just starting to tap into their potential, cj is in a bit of a funk and scary to say but MCW can get a lot better. Besides sending a message at team, he made a effort to make a point tough early games do little to help you come March...while I somewhat agree, that argument isn't quite as black and white as saying anyone who thinks a tough game in Nov/Dec helps you for the tournament knows nothing about basketball as was stated.

" he made a effort to make a point tough early games do little to help you come March...while I somewhat agree, that argument isn't quite as black and white as saying anyone who thinks a tough game in Nov/Dec helps you for the tournament knows nothing about basketball as was stated."

Well, I'd say that you and Boeheim disagree.

I don't want to be impolite, but I suggest you re-think your position.

JB tries to educate people on what he has learned in 50 years of doing this at a very high level. Its a hard job. I sometimes wonder why he bothers.

How does he shorten his bench when the youngest players played as well as they did? Who drops out of the rotation?

The first problem with this is that Gabjon's first point about JB's plan to shorten his bench is not what JB said. JB was making a general point about the number of people who play meaningful minutes on the great majority of teams. He was addressing the press and others, who have fixated on the number of people who play as some sort of meaningful measure of a team.

JB will play those all those that can help him win games. That could be 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9.

" he made a effort to make a point tough early games do little to help you come March...while I somewhat agree, that argument isn't quite as black and white as saying anyone who thinks a tough game in Nov/Dec helps you for the tournament knows nothing about basketball as was stated."

Well, I'd say that you and Boeheim disagree.

I don't want to be impolite, but I suggest you re-think your position.

JB tries to educate people on what he has learned in 50 years of doing this at a very high level. Its a hard job. I sometimes wonder why he bothers.

Well there are coaches who go out of their way to play tough early schedules to prepare their teams for the season. Are you implying these coaches who have combined experience beyond JBs 50 yrs and get paid millions of dollars know "nothing" about basketball?

that was JB at his best. Good stuff. Man I'm gonna miss him when he decides to hang em up.

The great thing about this presser is that it shows what can happen when a coach gets past fearing for his job and starts telling people the truth. JB has been at that point for a while now.

It also shows just how sensitive JB is to criticism.

He tried to educate the press on the actual value and likely result of playing lots of players.

He dispelled the myth of the value of early tough games.

He tried to educate the masses on the quality of the SU team as it stands today. This team is not close to last year's team at this point.

He railed against the idea that there are any easy games and automatic wins. There is more parity now than ever. If Southerland doesn't shoot the lights out in Arkansas, that would have been a loss.

Well there are coaches who go out of their way to play tough early schedules to prepare their teams for the season. Are you implying these coaches who have combined experience beyond JBs 50 yrs and get paid millions of dollars know "nothing" about basketball?

You are changing your story here.

Which is it?

Do coaches play tough games to prepare them for the season (Jan - Feb) or do they play tough early games to prepare the team for the tourney (March)?

Which coaches routinely schedule tough games to prepare themselves for the season? How successful are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom