Good presser from JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good presser from JB

jb desipes when a grant dors well. he determined who'd play and not during the olympics

jb desipes when a grant dors well. he determined who'd play and not during the olympics
Grant has now officially been boeheimed. :rolleyes:

You are changing your story here.

Which is it?

Do coaches play tough games to prepare them for the season (Jan - Feb) or do they play tough early games to prepare the team for the tourney (March)?

Which coaches routinely schedule tough games to prepare themselves for the season? How successful are they?

I'm not changing, my use of word season was inclusive of post season. Duke has better non-conf power ranking than us 9 of 10 last years, and Kentucky is 8 of 10 last years. As I said, I partially agree with him, but don't agree that coaches who routinely schedule difficult early season games know nothing about basketball. Strength of non-conf schedule is one of top-5 criteria for the committee, so coaches should it a minimum know the teams they schedule will have some impact on getting their team in the tourney, which qualifies as more than nothing in my mind at least.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

He always tells the truth (About his Team) in his press conference's and then later on in the year Pressers ask the same ?'s over and over without paying attention to what he says. You wonder why he has a hard time with the press/:rolleyes:

The first problem with this is that Gabjon's first point about JB's plan to shorten his bench is not what JB said. JB was making a general point about the number of people who play meaningful minutes on the great majority of teams. He was addressing the press and others, who have fixated on the number of people who play as some sort of meaningful measure of a team.

JB will play those all those that can help him win games. That could be 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9.

He might for with 6-7 players in a particular game but it might not be the same 6-7 players. Jerami Grant is the "9th guy" and he looked like he could win some games for us this year. In another game, he might show in a mintue or two that that is not going to be one of those nights and that will be all he'll get that night.

I'm not changing, my use of word season was inclusive of post season. Duke has better non-conf power ranking than us 9 of 10 last years, and Kentucky is 8 of 10 last years. As I said, I partially agree with him, but don't agree that coaches who routinely schedule difficult early season games know nothing about basketball. Strength of non-conf schedule is one of top-5 criteria for the committee, so coaches should it a minimum know the teams they schedule will have some impact on getting their team in the tourney, which qualifies as more than nothing in my mind at least.

You are attempting to straddle here.

I'm not sure what "partial agreement" is, exactly. Is it that you both agree and disagree?

Because Duke and KY are so routinely good and stacked with talent, they can afford to play anyone at anytime. How about some other examples?

Besides, JB's point here is that in his opinion these early season test does NOTHING for you when it gets to be tournament time. The real way to test this is to compare early season tough OOC schedules to tourney performance across a large sample of teams not named Duke or Kentucky.

SU --- like just about every other team in the country --- doesn't have the luxury or a bunch of lottery picks every year like DU or UK. Just look at this year's "work in progress" team. Without a super-human (and unlikely effort) by Southerland and a lesser extent Triche, we lose at Arkansas. (according to JB, that is)

And there's a huge difference between scheduling good OOC opponents in February versus November, when you are trying to put your team together.

He might for with 6-7 players in a particular game but it might not be the same 6-7 players. Jerami Grant is the "9th guy" and he looked like he could win some games for us this year. In another game, he might show in a mintue or two that that is not going to be one of those nights and that will be all he'll get that night.

Let's see if you agree with this thesis.

SU has recently had more quality players on the roster than we have had in the past. While we are a little thin at guard this year, we have more guys like Christmas and Southerland and Grant than we have had in the past. And having more quality bench players allows you to do things you couldn't do when the fall-off between the 7th and 8th players isn't so great.

I love to listen to a genius talk about things they know well. Listening to JB talk about basketball reminds me of listening to Bill Clinton talking about world politics.

You are attempting to straddle here.

I'm not sure what "partial agreement" is, exactly. Is it that you both agree and disagree?

Because Duke and KY are so routinely good and stacked with talent, they can afford to play anyone at anytime. How about some other examples?

Besides, JB's point here is that in his opinion these early season test does NOTHING for you when it gets to be tournament time. The real way to test this is to compare early season tough OOC schedules to tourney performance across a large sample of teams not named Duke or Kentucky.

SU --- like just about every other team in the country --- doesn't have the luxury or a bunch of lottery picks every year like DU or UK. Just look at this year's "work in progress" team. Without a super-human (and unlikely effort) by Southerland and a lesser extent Triche, we lose at Arkansas. (according to JB, that is)

And there's a huge difference between scheduling good OOC opponents in February versus November, when you are trying to put your team together.

I really have no huge angst over him comments. Is a game in nov/dec necessarily going to help you in the tourney, no probably not. But if you lose a few early tough games, you can focus your team more, get them to practice harder, etc. Further, if you are facing tourney quality teams early in the season, there is a chance you see that same team come tourney time and I can understand how seeing a teams tendencies, or if you win, building your confidence going into the 2nd game wouldn't be helpful. Had he said it helps you little, but absolutely no help whatsoever playing good teams? Sounded like hyperbole to me at least, something JB is known for.

IMHO, part of the problem is vocal senior leadership. Bradon and James have to take up the role of Scoop and be more vocal. Quiet leadership only goes so far. Especially with younger players. MCW seems the type but lacks the experience.

But if you lose a few early tough games, you can focus your team more, get them to practice harder, etc.
According to John Wooden, the same lessons can be learned, win or lose. And which is the better way to go?

A good coach can get his team to focus, play harder, etc., after a win, as well as following a loss. That's part of the job description.

I really have no huge angst over him comments. Is a game in nov/dec necessarily going to help you in the tourney, no probably not. But if you lose a few early tough games, you can focus your team more, get them to practice harder, etc. Further, if you are facing tourney quality teams early in the season, there is a chance you see that same team come tourney time and I can understand how seeing a teams tendencies, or if you win, building your confidence going into the 2nd game wouldn't be helpful. Had he said it helps you little, but absolutely no help whatsoever playing good teams? Sounded like hyperbole to me at least, something JB is known for.

Can't say I agree with this part.
In those back-to-back NIT seasons there was absolutely no redeeming quality in losing to the likes of UMass, IMO.
All it proved was that we weren't good enough. I'm sure the players practiced just as hard and gave maximum effort, but the team's make-up, coupled w/ injuries and other issues, meant that EVERY game was a battle.
Over the last few years we've gotten used to easily beating the Arkansas' and EMU's of the world, but those 2 seasons especially showed that in this age of parity you can't overlook anyone, even those team's you're (cough cough) "supposed" to beat.
If the BE wasn't the monster league that its been, I could see a better argument for tougher scheduling. But a coupla of preseason tourney's and a ranked team sprinkled in, are more than enough to start a season.
Tom Izzo schedules tougher than anyone in the country, and that's fine when he's had a good, veteran team. But Michigan State has struggled the last coupla years mostly because of over-scheduling, IMO.
The BEast will sort out the contenders and the pretenders...it always does.

How does he shorten his bench when the youngest players played as well as they did? Who drops out of the rotation?

I think DC2 or Rak will lose minutes, and Cooney will play under 10 minutes a game. Grant will start to play more. CJ needs to hit that mid-range shot.

ACC and SEC have been pretty so Duke and Kentucky had to schedule harder than us who play in the Big East

Ironically I thought we played a really good early and mid season schedule the year we won it all...Memphis, Valparaiso, Georia Tech, Missouri and Michigan State. I remember thinking to myself we seemed battle tested. I am not saying that I don't agree with him, because I don't proclaim to be a basketball guru, but as a fan it sure did give seem to look to me that we were confident enough to beat those big 12 teams in the dance because we already had beat some good teams both in, and out of conference.

Ironically I thought we played a really good early and mid season schedule the year we won it all...Memphis, Valparaiso, Georia Tech, Missouri and Michigan State. I remember thinking to myself we seemed battle tested. I am not saying that I don't agree with him, because I don't proclaim to be a basketball guru, but as a fan it sure did give seem to look to me that we were confident enough to beat those big 12 teams in the dance because we already had beat some good teams both in, and out of conference.
We were confident because we had the best player in the country, a once in a generation-type stud in Melo. Couple that with an uncanny frosh named GMac, a wily vet for leadership in Kueth, a stalwart in the middle in Forth, and Hak Warrick starting to blossom. Add the bench parts and you have a "confident" team on your hands.

This is hardly a binary issue..., e.g. that an early season tough schedule is irrelevant to preparing a team for March vs. it is absolutely mandatory for success in March?

It's like the 'winning' vs. 'development' arguments I hear every day related to youth sports. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts, and understanding the amount of each (intense competition vs. technical & tactical repetition under less pressure) to apply IS ultimately what distinguishes good coaches from bad ones.

I love to listen to a genius talk about things they know well. Listening to JB talk about basketball reminds me of listening to Bill Clinton talking about world politics.

I'm not sure if this sarcasm or you truly believe what you said about Clinton.

Let's see if you agree with this thesis.

SU has recently had more quality players on the roster than we have had in the past. While we are a little thin at guard this year, we have more guys like Christmas and Southerland and Grant than we have had in the past. And having more quality bench players allows you to do things you couldn't do when the fall-off between the 7th and 8th players isn't so great.

Yes. We have 9 guys who can play. In the past we had 6-7 and 2-3 projects or disappointments. There are no Mookie Joneses on this team.

I think we'd all be wise to remember that Boeheim, within the past twelve months mind you, has actually mounted a legal defense completely predicated upon the fact that what he says in these press conferences is total BS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom