Good survey of the team | Syracusefan.com

Good survey of the team

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Im going with 12. Will lose in playoffs cause our bigs arent good enough yet. wWill be but not yet. Yes i am a orange homer but only saying it cause of our schedule and chance we could beat f st in Acc Championship to get to playoffs. Then we lose but i got faith and our o if stupid in talent with our d being really good.

If the coaches get these players ready for each and every game, there's a good chance they'll have a solid season. We've seen the injury bug often and odd calls by refs plus extremely bizarre bounces of the ball and often those determine close games.

I'm also incredibly curious when the first thread will come saying "What the heck was Brown thinking when he...". Ain't no coach perfect ever and when this honeymoon period ends, we'll see what we have on the field standing on the sidelines and in the booth. I really think he'll be fine but every and I mean every new coach makes a head scratching move or more in the beginning, He seems like a smart guy and I have no doubt his learning curve will be less than most.

I expect that this staff will be extremely well prepared. Fran attention to detail will ensure that we are solid.
How we adjust at half time is what I'm interested in.
I'm predicting 8 wins as a floor. There is a punchers chance that we run the table.

I see 7 wins as the floor but 8 wins as the most likely outcome. Really think we should have a solid season. There is a chance we can get to 9+ as well. Our schedule doesn't have many really tough games. Out of conference is as easy as you can hope for but in conference none of them will be easy. We've improved through the portal very nice but so have other teams but maybe to a bit lesser of a degree hopefuly.

On offense I have some concerns mainly with the OT's being able to pass block for McCord. Can we keep him healthy, give him time to pass and also not have him rushed a lot to the point where he is throwing too many picks. For as good as McCord looked in the spring game he threw two passes that should have been INT's. And that was against a defense that wasn't bringing the heat. The first to Devin Grant who should have caught it and taken it to the house and the second was one to Barron that appeared to just go through his hands. If one or two of those is caught people are a little less high on him. I do think adding Savion Washington should help us at OT in regards to pass pro quite a bit. Really like the potential of our rushing attack with both Lequint and Willis and we seem to have a solid run blocking unit. And what we saw in the spring game without OG, Meeks and JRS.

Defensively I really like what we bring back and a lot of the additions we made in the portal. Seems like it should be really solid. But in the spring game the first team defense surprising looked just terrible against the run. We have some guys still trying to figure out corner a bit and we are a little thin at safety depth. Seemed like the DL couldn't get too much penetration and shed blocks and the LB's jumped in the holes even before the RB's got there leaving our defensive front in a straight line. Seemed to me like the LB's need to learn to be more patient and attack less.

Depth wise we should have the ability to withstand some injuries better than I can remember with McCord obviously being the exception.

Last edited:
For entertainment purposes only, I wonder what the o/u line will be for Cuse wins this year in football.

I see 7 wins as the floor but 8 wins as the most likely outcome. Really think we should have a solid season. There is a chance we can get to 9+ as well. Our schedule doesn't have many really tough games. Out of conference is as easy as you can hope for but in conference none of them will be easy. We've improved through the portal very nice but so have other teams but maybe to a bit lesser of a degree hopefuly.

On offense I have some concerns mainly with the OT's being able to pass block for McCord. Can we keep him healthy, give him time to pass and also not have him rushed a lot to the point where he is throwing too many picks. For as good as McCord looked in the spring game he threw two passes that should have been INT's. And that was against a defense that wasn't bringing the heat. The first to Devin Grant who should have caught it and taken it to the house and the second was one to Barron that appeared to just go through his hands. If one or two of those is caught people are a little less high on him. I do think adding Savion Washington should help us at OT in regards to pass pro quite a bit. Really like the potential of our rushing attack with both Lequint and Willis and we seem to have a solid run blocking unit. And what we saw in the spring game without OG, Meeks and JRS.

Defensively I really like what we bring back and a lot of the additions we made in the portal. Seems like it should be really solid. But in the spring game the first team defense surprising looked just terrible against the run. We have some guys still trying to figure out corner a bit and we are a little thin at safety depth. Seemed like the DL couldn't get too much penetration and shed blocks and the LB's jumped in the holes even before the RB's got there leaving our defensive front in a straight line. Seemed to me like the LB's need to learn to be more patient and attack less.

Depth wise we should have the ability to withstand some injuries better than I can remember with McCord obviously being the exception.
Re: McCord

It seems to me that McCord is similar to DeVito **disclaimer - this to not to say the results will be the same** , in that both are exceptional with clean pockets, below average against pressure, should not be looked at to be game breakers, and both have two capital letters in their last names.

I think if we use McCord the way that Illinois used DeVito, that would ensure the best results. We seem to have a similar makeup as Illinois with DeVito that year, with a (seemingly) solid defense and dangerous rushing attack. Lean on the run, keeping McCord out of harms way as much as possible, then using him to take the top off.

I believe McCord is a better player than DeVito so this is more speaking to how he’s used than his overall impact. Whereas Devito was mainly a game manager for Illinois, I’d hope McCord’s impact is more than just that.

If the coaches get these players ready for each and every game, there's a good chance they'll have a solid season. We've seen the injury bug often and odd calls by refs plus extremely bizarre bounces of the ball and often those determine close games.

I'm also incredibly curious when the first thread will come saying "What the heck was Brown thinking when he...". Ain't no coach perfect ever and when this honeymoon period ends, we'll see what we have on the field standing on the sidelines and in the booth. I really think he'll be fine but every and I mean every new coach makes a head scratching move or more in the beginning, He seems like a smart guy and I have no doubt his learning curve will be less than most.
August 31st, first quarter.

It seems to me that McCord is similar to DeVito **disclaimer - this to not to say the results will be the same** , in that both are exceptional with clean pockets, below average against pressure, should not be looked at to be game breakers, and both have two capital letters in their last names.

I think if we use McCord the way that Illinois used DeVito, that would ensure the best results. We seem to have a similar makeup as Illinois with DeVito that year, with a (seemingly) solid defense and dangerous rushing attack. Lean on the run, keeping McCord out of harms way as much as possible, then using him to take the top off.

I believe McCord is a better player than DeVito so this is more speaking to how he’s used than his overall impact. Whereas Devito was mainly a game manager for Illinois, I’d hope McCord’s impact is more than just that.
I disagree. Watching the spring game McCord went through his reads way quicker then devito. He got rid of the ball faster. When there was pressure he threw the ball away instead of holding the ball or running out of bounds. There was one play in the spring game where there was pressure and the play broke down. McCord threw the ball in the ground at the feet of a receiver in the back field instead of taking a sack or running out of bounds before the line of scrimmage.
Some posters talk about the two throws in the spring game that were almost intercepted. People need to remember McCord had only been with the team a couple of months at the time of the spring game. OG and Meeks were out even working with him for those two months. It also seemed on one McCord threw to a spot where he expected to be and the receiver ran the wrong route.
By the time of the first game mccord will have been would with the receivers other than Ross-Simon’s for almost 8 months. Ross-Simmons since probably late May.
I think mccord will be day and night from devito. Clearly his completion percentage will not be 100% but instead of taking sacks he will get rid of the ball and reset for the next play.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

They talked about Ross-Simmons as if he was there in the spring. He wasn’t.

Nor was Emmanuel Ross or Jamie Tremble, or Codie Hornsby. Or Savion Washington. So you have 5 potential 2 deep guys right there that weren’t even with the team in the Spring.

With the exception of QB2 and beyond, we have more talent on this roster heading into this season that this program has had in a long time.

I disagree. Watching the spring game McCord went through his reads way quicker then devito. He got rid of the ball faster. When there was pressure he threw the ball away instead of holding the ball or running out of bounds. There was one play in the spring game where there was pressure and the play broke down. McCord threw the ball in the ground at the feet of a receiver in the back field instead of taking a sack or running out of bounds before the line of scrimmage.
Some posters talk about the two throws in the spring game that were almost intercepted. People need to remember McCord had only been with the team a couple of months at the time of the spring game. OG and Meeks were out even working with him for those two months. It also seemed on one McCord threw to a spot where he expected to be and the receiver ran the wrong route.
By the time of the first game mccord will have been would with the receivers other than Ross-Simon’s for almost 8 months. Ross-Simmons since probably late May.
I think mccord will be day and night from devito. Clearly his completion percentage will not be 100% but instead of taking sacks he will get rid of the ball and reset for the next play.
I don’t disagree that McCord is a better QB than DeVito and therefore his decision making and results should be better. I expect McCord to be much better than DeVito. Full stop. What I am saying is that, stylistically and ability-wise, he is a similar type of QB to DeVito.

He’s not going to beat teams on broken plays, he’s not going to be a one man show a la Dungey, and he’s best aided by having a good run game established.

He should be great with a clean pocket and he’s likely to struggle if he’s going to be flushed/the o line doesn’t hold up and give him time. His ratings at Ohio St back this up.

I don’t disagree that McCord is a better QB than DeVito and therefore his decision making and results should be better. I expect McCord to be much better than DeVito. Full stop. What I am saying is that, stylistically and ability-wise, he is a similar type of QB to DeVito.

He’s not going to beat teams on broken plays, he’s not going to be a one man show a la Dungey, and he’s best aided by having a good run game established.

He should be great with a clean pocket and he’s likely to struggle if he’s going to be flushed/the o line doesn’t hold up and give him time. His ratings at Ohio St back this up.
If you get the running game going and wisely use play-action, McCord should have a very nice year.

Here's my big question on McCord:

When the going gets tough, and a play is needed, will McCord hold onto the ball too long and take a big hit? That's the scariest scenario for me this season

Here's my big question on McCord:

When the going gets tough, and a play is needed, will McCord hold onto the ball too long and take a big hit? That's the scariest scenario for me this season
So, we’re back to the DeVito comparisons?

I don’t think we can say how McCord will do out of the pocket this year or on broken plays. Last year was his first year starting. People do improve.

Exactly, dude goes 11-1 in his first year as a starter and you’d think Ohio St. fans were celebrating getting rid of dude who went 1-11. Year one to two is always the biggest jump. Go watch the highlights of the comeback against ND. Kid is a gamer. He will thrive with a fan base that actually supports him.

McCord has better decision making than Devito and is a far better college QB. As you said Devito was used as a game manager at Illinois, that is not the way we should be using McCord with the receivers we have.

So, we’re back to the DeVito comparisons?
I wasn't trying to compare him to Devito. McCord could be perfect all year, but it only takes one broken play where a QB gets indecisive in a pressure moment. That's what I fear this season. Just want our QB1 to make it through the whole year for once

I just don't get it Devito some kind of Syracuse great? Good lord. Aim higher people...
How did what I say imply that he was great? The poster referred to McCord staying in the pocket too long as it crumbles around him leading to him taking a big hit. Tommy took too many big hits when some could’ve been avoided by throwing the ball away. It was a definite weakness of his, in my opinion. If you think that’s a sign of greatness, I guess we have differing opinions on what makes a great QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom