Good to hear his voice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good to hear his voice

I watched another recent interview he did in his new position and it didn't sit with me well.

He made some comment about how it's good to be in sunshine again and how "where he was before" didn't have much sunshine. It felt like an unnecessary, petty jab. Tell me how you felt about Syracuse.
Really !!!! He mentioned that the weather in CNY wasn’t great…… Wow he should be locked up for that outrageous comment !!
The guy got fired , I’m sure he feels some anguish, that was a nothing burger if I ever saw one.

lol wait until Fran starts doing more interviews, wait when he has some controversial losses. People will start getting tired of him too.

He will start being more selective with his words as well. Get more snippy in his responses. Everything is great when its new and fresh.

Last edited:
lol wait until Fran starts doing more interviews, wait when he has some controversial losses. People will start getting tired of him too.

He will start being more selective with his words as well. Get more snippy in his responses. Everything great when its new and fresh.

#TruerWordsHaveNeverBeenSpoken

At least Fran doesn't talk about "belief without evidence" in his 8th year.

I'm anticipating turning up the volume to hear Fran. I'm wondering if he'll have Dino's sense of humor, story telling ability and interest in things other than football.
Steve we grew up with Ben who wasn't what you call a great interview.
But he went out and built a program.
That's what Fran is, and at this stage of our lives that's what I want.
One more ride on the Ferris Wheel, or Merry Go Round.

I'm anticipating turning up the volume to hear Fran. I'm wondering if he'll have Dino's sense of humor, story telling ability and interest in things other than football.
I don't care if my coach has a sense of humor, story telling ability, and interest in things other than football.

I care if my coach is a good human, a good leader, and a good coach.

He will start being more selective with his words as well. Get more snippy in his responses. Everything is great when its new and fresh.

Wise words

What's done is done but I'll miss Dino's interviews and his show. Here's an interview he recently did at Arizona. I love Coach Brown but he's got kind of a Bill Belichick mumble.

I will not miss Dino at all. In my opinion, the Peter Principle applies to him. He put out a lot of rah rah. and was paid well. Sorry, the "eyes closed" belief crap will be my memory of him. He did not produce.

I like Dino and I really do hope he does well back in Arizona.

At the same time, hearing him respond with so many non-answer answers brought me right back to HCDB days.
I have been following SU football avidly since the 1970s. Any chance to hear a coach talk, I was there.

Heck, I even kept listening to coaches shows in the days of GRob.

I liked Dino and hoped he would succeed. Really enjoyed listening to him tell stories. But when it came time to talk about games, strategy, post game breakdowns, etc, I found him unlistenable.

He is good at speaking and saying nothing. And yes, I agree he has not changed now that he is in Arizona. It is too bad because he would be interesting if he chose to be.

Good luck to him there. Hope he has enough class to stop talking badly about a place that gave him such a great opportunity (and where he failed repeatedly to get the job done).

I will not miss Dino at all. In my opinion, the Peter Principle applies to him. He put out a lot of rah rah. and was paid well. Sorry, the "eyes closed" belief crap will be my memory of him. He did not produce.

So - the Clemson upset & 2018 season didn’t happen?

Mmmkay.

We did get to 3 bowl games during his tenure.

Were ranked in the Top 25 for the first time since 2001.

Which none of his three predecessors achieved.

That’s not nothing.
It’s not what we’d hoped for, and I absolutely agree that it was best to move on from him.

He did not produce consistently enough, is more accurate.

(And his recruiting the last year or 2 was turrible, so it wasn’t gonna improve had he remained.)

Mmmkay.

That’s not nothing.
It’s not what we’d hoped for, and I absolutely agree that it was best to move on from him.

(And his recruiting the last year or 2 was turrible, so it wasn’t gonna improve had he remained.)
5th in overall wins. He's not the best or the worse coach in SU history

Mmmkay.

That’s not nothing.

Not nearly enough. I hardly consider his tenure as money well spent. Too many bad losses and way too few great wins.

It was, "belief without evidence," that was the last straw with me. If I've learned anything important over my 77 years it's that I don't accept anything without evidence. These are words that you would expect from a con-man.

Not nearly enough. I hardly consider his tenure as money well spent. Too many bad losses and way too few great wins.

True.

Which is 721's point. He did some good things, and didn't win consistently enough, which is why he was let go.

But he's hardly the supervillain some posters are now portraying him as, and he wasn't as incompetent as some "remember."

He was pretty good, and had some amazing highs -- just not enough of them. He also had some really bad circumstances with injuries, which sunk a couple of promising seasons. One or two of those 5 win seasons that got derailed due to key injuries [and I'm thinking specifically of Dungey's junior year / Shrader's sophomore year, when both teams were bowl-caliber] unfold differently, and his track record might look totally different.

But in the main, I'm excited about the Fran Brown situation, and happy with where we are.

Feel no need to throw shade on Dino, he was a good guy, a good ambassador for our program, and he's gone.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to say that doing an interesting interview made up for on the field failures. I just enjoyed listening to the guy and will miss that. From what I've heard in interviews with Coach Brown I think the Coach's show may be a bit duller next season, even if there's more candor, (initially). But, hey, if we can finish seasons as strongly as we start them, I'll be a happy guy.

I watched another recent interview he did in his new position and it didn't sit with me well.

He made some comment about how it's good to be in sunshine again and how "where he was before" didn't have much sunshine. It felt like an unnecessary, petty jab. Tell me how you felt about Syracuse.
Well it is pretty dreary up there. Just saying…

He is good at speaking and saying nothing. And yes, I agree he has not changed now that he is in Arizona. It is too bad because he would be interesting if he chose to be.

Very Tony Robbins-esque

What makes him a good guy?

Just curious what he exactly did that makes him a good guy?

I’m not saying he isn’t, but looking for an example
I’m not the fan that did not want a change. Especially with what we have seen with Coach Brown so far. However HCDB did seem to hold his players accountable when they made dumb decisions and got into trouble. He was also honest with the parents by telling them that their sons would grow up to be good honest men if they attended SU for football.

His in game decision making was atrocious and his recruiting was sub par. This does not make him a bad person just a bad coach.

I have been following SU football avidly since the 1970s. Any chance to hear a coach talk, I was there.

Heck, I even kept listening to coaches shows in the days of GRob.

I liked Dino and hoped he would succeed. Really enjoyed listening to him tell stories. But when it came time to talk about games, strategy, post game breakdowns, etc, I found him unlistenable.

Good luck to him there. Hope he has enough class to stop talking badly about a place that gave him such a great opportunity (and where he failed repeatedly to get the job done).

I wasn't even going to post in this thread, but I think this does a good job of summing up how I feel.

By all accounts, he's a good man and he's a good football coach. But he left this job a different person than how he entered it. And he left as one that I just can't bring myself to listen to anymore about football.

I wish him all the best at Arizona and beyond.

What makes him a good guy?

Just curious what he exactly did that makes him a good guy?

I’m not saying he isn’t, but looking for an example
In no particular order.

He treated members of the press with courtesy.

He treated me and folks I know with courtesy and good humor.

From what I understand, he served as a solid role model for his players.

As a coach he gave me one of the great thrills of my life - the upset of Clemson.

He got us to three bowl games.

He made changes in his staff and in his system to try to advance the program. I liked the 3-3-5 defense. I liked Coach White, Coach Beck, Coach Campanile and others.

I liked a lot of the players he recruited including Tommy DeVito, Garrett Shrader, Andre Cisco and many others.

I still think he was victimized by COVID - programs like ours simply could not handle the fall out from the pandemic.

I wasn't one of the cheerleaders on this board when he was hired, but I grew to like him and I rooted for him and his program to the end.

Last edited:
In no particular order.

As a coach he gave me one of the great thrills of my life - the upset of Clemson.

He made changes in his staff and in his system to try to advance the program. I liked the 3-5-3 defense. I liked Coach White, Coach Beck, Coach Campanile and others.

I liked a lot of the players he recruited including Tommy DeVito, Garrett Shrader, Andre Cisco and many others.

I still think he was victimized by COVID - programs like ours simply could not handle the fall out from the pandemic.

I wasn't one the cheerleaders on this board when he was hired, but I grew to like him and I rooted for him and his program to the end.
Covid hurt us worse then most schools, because of the state. And not having an open air facility also hurt us. One case where having a Dome was a disadvantage.

Mmmkay.

That’s not nothing.

He won 30% of conference games. He’s a bum.

In no particular order.

He made changes in his staff and in his system to try to advance the program. I liked the 3-5-3 defense. I liked Coach White, Coach Beck, Coach Campanile and others.

I wasn't one the cheerleaders on this board when he was hired, but I grew to like him and I rooted for him and his program to the end.
100% agree , by the way my daughter met him by chance, and he is indeed a nice guy, as is his family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom