Got to figure out run D | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Got to figure out run D

The good news other than BC not many teams will have the run game that Clemson and Pitt had. Plus now that we know it is our weak spot I expect it to be addressed during the bye week. I don't know how, but something must be done.

As bad as the rush defense has been I still think if our QB has played the way he has through his first 3 years they would be 6-0. I think that's just as important of an issue to address. Nobody thought we would win with defense. If our defense was average, which I think it is, they should be able to have a good amount of success. If he is banged up (which i think he must be) these 2 weeks could go a long way in helping him heal up.
He has to be hurt don’t ya think

Dungey doesn't look hurt to me. He looked rattled trying to deal with the pressures they were showing. Same thing that happened against MTSU.
I thought Whit played well against lesser comp but has clearly struggled against bigger athletes and more physical fronts. I'm not encouraged if they stick with him at the will. I actually think Guthrie would be a better fit with Richard's or Williams at the mike. I'd be curious to see what Williams looked like at the will. Either way, I don't think a change is likely.
I also think Cisco and Foster have alot of stepping up to do in run defense, some really bad angles and whiffs on tackles that we shouldn't see.

teams are all over the place. other than ALA everyone is luck to not have a loss to someone they are probably better than.

Prior to our game, Pitt's kicker was 1/2 on FG's. Both were from 31-39 yards. How is that even possible, only 2 attempts in 5 games?

Now he's 4/5, so 1/1 from 41-49, and 2/2 from 51-59.

There's some ****ing luck for ya.

Sports fans... I don't think it's likely we get better against the run.

I think it's more likely that the offense performs better and our opponent's have to choose keeping the clock running while they play catch up running the ball.

Bingo. As soon as it got to 14-14 we were in for a war.

I miss that Ellison kid. Small and struggled in coverage but man that young man hit like a ton of bricks.

We not lose that fumble , and score again ... they are not jamming it down our trought !!! Dungeys is as much the reason we lost to Pitt and any place on our team !!!! He sucked last week and was the reason we lost !! When we needed him he failed .

We not lose that fumble , and score again ... they are not jamming it down our trought !!! Dungeys is as much the reason we lost to Pitt and any place on our team !!!! He sucked last week and was the reason we lost !! When we needed him he failed .

Wat

I don't know if anyone keeps track of YAC for ball carriers, (Yards After Contact), but Ollison and Hall must have set some kind of record. What makes it worse is that Ollison was obviously banged-up and running on fumes in the 4th Qtr., and he still consistently gashed us.
A lot of criticism has been aimed at our LBs, but it seemed to me that the Pitt ball carriers had little difficulty making it to the second level, often with a full head of steam. As good as our DL has been pressuring opposing QBs, I think they need to work on stuffing the run. Our DL are not undersized, but they didn't react well to the Clemson and Pitt blocking schemes (in particular, the same play Pitt repeatedly ran off left tackle).

Ollison is really tough.

He has hurt us a lot these past two years.

Still don't understand why he's not wearing a Syracuse uniform.

I don't blame him for that fumble.

At some point - in that kind of pile up - the official has to blow the whistle.

It was ridiculous to allow the play to continue at that point.

Prior to our game, Pitt's kicker was 1/2 on FG's. Both were from 31-39 yards. How is that even possible, only 2 attempts in 5 games?

Now he's 4/5, so 1/1 from 41-49, and 2/2 from 51-59.

There's some ****ing luck for ya.

I had no doubt he'd make both 50+ FGs on Saturday.

This is my fault ... I was not blaming the fumble on him, i'm blaming the rest the game on him(like last week) If we score on that fumble d drive , we start to force Pitt to air it out more . Then they cant ram running at us. I believe it changes the game.

They seemed to blow it too early before when SU still had the pile moving forward. Kind of bit SU in the butt twice on those 2 plays, one a heck of a lot more than the other.

dungey didnt suck, he just didnt play well the whole game. he did a bunch of good things, but the fumble and a few bad passes did come at bad times.

dungey didnt suck, he just didnt play well the whole game. he did a bunch of good things, but the fumble and a few bad passes did come at bad times.
yea he did (and i love him) as a say in another thread he can't throw anyone open and is off to much on open throws

A "few" bad passes? FWIW, Damien Rhoades is on local TV now talking about how poorly Dungey played the whole game, including decision making and waiting too long to throw when receivers were open.

I'm not trying to dogpile on Dungey. The Pitt game had to be as poorly as he has played in his career here.

sure, but when we say he held it too long that also means you have to know which WR he was supposed to be coming off of first.. this offense is much different in that you still throw to "covered" guys if they make the right read. perhaps he held it because WR didnt run the routes they were supposed too? I am more worried about not throwing to some guys more than holding it too long because they are not always the same issue. and missing open guys is even a bigger deal as thats just a play thrown away.

sure, but when we say he held it too long that also means you have to know which WR he was supposed to be coming off of first.. this offense is much different in that you still throw to "covered" guys if they make the right read. perhaps he held it because WR didnt run the routes they were supposed too? I am more worried about not throwing to some guys more than holding it too long because they are not always the same issue. and missing open guys is even a bigger deal as thats just a play thrown away.

Grasping for reasons. I think the larger point here is that Rhoades is pro SU and yet he is publicly pointing out how poorly Dungey played. Rhoades in tuned in to this offense. He has pointed out multiple examples on tape to back up his opinion, including the INT in OT.

To me, it seemed obvious this was a very poor game by Dungey (and I am a Dungey fan).

None of us has any clue whether he is or isn't. If he is, none of us has any clue about what it is, or the severity.
I think there are clues, the tape on the shoulder, the way he has held his arm, passes that look worse than we've seen in the past. What we don't have is confirmation or details.

watching the replays i think some his holding onto the ball is that guys are not that open, he doesnt trust that they will get open. he had that same problem 3-4 yrs ago, but he learned to trust Ish/Erv would make the play anyway last year.

the Int in OT, good call, no safety help, but Johnson was not that open, a good throw makes its fine.. my question again, if you take that inside release and there is no safety then the proper route should be a post not a corner, its then a simple throw and catch. So the question is, is there no post option on the play? if there isnt then its a bad throw late, if there is and he held it because the WR didnt run it then its a different issue.

its a question of the News guys to ask, this is where years ago many teams had the mid week lunches with fans and reviewed film this stuff was great to discuss.

Defensive linemen’s job is to eat up blocks and open gaps for linebackers to make tackles. Sure, there are times lineman blow up their counterparts and get in the backfield but that’s not their main responsibility. I agree our tackles can be better but it’s almost exclusively a linebacker issue.

Exactly. I've said that, like, a billion times. =D

out LBs take the wrong gaps at times, but you also see undersized guys trying to avoid contact instead of taking it on and that leads to wrong shoulder and easier blocks for the oline. sometimes you can make a play like that, but more often it causes gap issues

out LBs take the wrong gaps at times, but you also see undersized guys trying to avoid contact instead of taking it on and that leads to wrong shoulder and easier blocks for the oline. sometimes you can make a play like that, but more often it causes gap issues

Add to that the secondary not even slowing the runner down (poor tackling technique/angles) and you have some huge gains going on.

I think most of it comes down to assignment football were getting gashed by over biting on the jet sweep fake. OLB on the sweep towards side is assigned to to run straight free of the OT and make a backfield tackle regardless the rest of the D Plays like a nickle with the corner or safety that was left by the sweeping player playing a weak side spy/middle spy for help defense against run or pass. It's less aggressive than having the corner rush or go in motion with the sweep but it removes over pursuit that often causes such huge runs out of that set

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom