Gottlieb Thread on the '96 Team | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb Thread on the '96 Team

So basically his entire gimmick of trolling us in the past is because he is butthurt JB didn’t recruit him.
Yes, I had heard that his whole family who reside in Orange County, CA had went there and he had wanted to go there as well. Something along those lines. It probably bothered him that Jason Hart another Socal kid ended up Orange.

Gottlieb is actually Blue Curtain, at least in spirit. Huge fan but just has unreal expectations. No hooper who is not a Hoya or a Husky is going to as much trouble to zero in on SU unless they are a huge Orange fan at heart. His family history adds in only confirmation of the obvious. Angry he wasn't recruited but can't hide how much he cares about SU.

This is one of about four games from that decade that I've never seen. Had to go to a friend's bar mitzvah that afternoon and just made it to a TV in time to see Cipolla hit the shot. IIRC it was Pearl's jersey retirement day as well.

Solid memory. March 2, 1996.

The voice-over might be Rece Davis.

A nice skip pass from JB Reafsnyder to set up Cipolla for the go-ahead basket.

I was at this game (sat in last row of 306) and if I remember correctly Wallace made a steal and a dunk on an inbound pass late to go ahead. Remember little much after except meeting Rob Konrad at 44's and telling him that this is gonna be his bar some day. Beleive me or not, true story. Also 1st time at Dinosaur after that. Great story on how I got there too.

Aside from it being Wallace’s Senior Day, what most stands out to me from this game was seeing Otto getting taken out of the Dome in handcuffs for attacking some student who was wearing a clown wig. From what I remember the clown wig student was running with the big SU flag and when we came around in front of the student section with it Otto decked him. Seeing Otto getting arrested will forever be engrained in my mind.

Aside from it being Wallace’s Senior Day, what most stands out to me from this game was seeing Otto getting taken out of the Dome in handcuffs for attacking some student who was wearing a clown wig. From what I remember the clown wig student was running with the big SU flag and when we came around in front of the student section with it Otto decked him. Seeing Otto getting arrested will forever be engrained in my mind.

Not quite, but close.

The student with the rainbow clown wig was a normal student, but got involved over the course of the year leading a number of crowd-oriented cheers every game from the student section during timeouts, getting attention because his "look" was so distinctive.

That game was the final day of the season [senior day, as you point out], and for some reason he came down out of the student section, and the cheerleaders handed him that giant flag. Carrying the flag, he did a lap around the perimeter of the court, and when he came back around, he kind of hip-checked Otto on his way past. Don't remember if whoever was wearing the Otto costume fell down or not, but Otto took immediate offense and chased him down and tackled him, precipitating a fist fight that drew the cops.

Awesome.

Not quite, but close.

The student with the rainbow clown wig was a normal student, but got involved over the course of the year leading a number of crowd-oriented cheers every game from the student section during timeouts, getting attention because his "look" was so distinctive.

That game was the final day of the season [senior day, as you point out], and for some reason he came down out of the student section, and the cheerleaders handed him that giant flag. Carrying the flag, he did a lap around the perimeter of the court, and when he came back around, he kind of hip-checked Otto on his way past. Don't remember if whoever was wearing the Otto costume fell down or not, but Otto took immediate offense and chased him down and tackled him, precipitating a fist fight that drew the cops.

Awesome.

Hahaha yep was insane to see. Surprised it didn’t get national coverage from what I remember.

Not quite, but close.

Awesome.
I was at that game with a buddy of mine. Definitely a dick move by rainbow wig guy precipitated the punching. He kind of ran toward him and jumped up into him as he turned his body, and Otto jumped on him and started pummeling him with his soft gloves and body. Saw the orange suit in the back room after the game just sitting in the corner.

So funny to see that 96 team now and how they were somehow considered so unworthy of being in the Final Four that there were calls to restructure the NCAA tournament. That team was incredibly solid and would probably be absolutely dominant in today’s game.

Wow, this just made me realize that I was at this game as well. I don’t remember much about the game (I was young at the time) but I do remember this altercation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom