Grad Transfers A Necessity Next Year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Grad Transfers A Necessity Next Year?

My fear is that most grad xfers will come from M2M teams and will not immediately gel with the rest of the team and our 2-3 zone. For some of our players, it took over a year to get it down. That is why JB used to like developing his kids from scratch. Just my $00.02

Yeah, in hindsight it really looks like getting transfers up to speed with our D is an issue, or at least has seemed that way with Gillon, White, and Chukwu. A lot of us think back fondly on when Wes Johnson transferred in and how he made an immediate impact on the defensive side the first year he played, but he also had a year to learn the system (and he was also worlds better athletically than either JG, AW, or Chukwu). Transfers may be a bit more problematic to integrate into our system, as they're just not plug 'n' play types when they have to learn a type of D thats mostly new to them and is very nuanced.

I like Battle, but not sure why he'd be on the NBA radar right now. He's had one good game all year, against North Florida. So far he's been a spot up shooter and that's about it.

If he gets to the NBA's radar, that's probably a good thing for our team this year.
yep

yeah, at the moment I don't think we have a single NBA player on the roster. Lydon, Battle and White are second rounders at best.

We signed Oshae Brissett already.

Do none of you long time posters know how to click on the recruiting board?

It's not about reading the recruiting board, though that board is exceptionally clunky and needs to be better organized/summarized.

I'm aware that we have the 48th best prospect committed, and a verbal from a 3 star kid. But those guys are not typically first year impact players. Chukwu was similarly highly rated IIRC, and he may take 4 years in college before he can get out of his own way.

Who on next year's roster, including the two recruits, can you say with 100% confidence is ready for NCAA level competition? Let's assume all 6 possible players return (which would defy history, but whatever).

Howard - Yes
Battle - Yes
Lydon - Yes
Chukwu - No
Moyer - No
Brissett - No
Sidibe - No
Thompson - Maybe/Probably

That was more toward the person who started the thread. If Lydon is here next year, I bet he or Thompson start at the 5 unless Chuwku shows dramatic improvement.
I was hoping that Chukwu would be a Keita clone this year and then improve offensively over the next 2 years. Let's just say I'm very disappointed at how raw he is after being with the SU program for a full year after his transfer.

It's not about reading the recruiting board, though that board is exceptionally clunky and needs to be better organized/summarized.

I'm aware that we have the 48th best prospect committed, and a verbal from a 3 star kid. But those guys are not typically first year impact players. Chukwu was similarly highly rated IIRC, and he may take 4 years in college before he can get out of his own way.

Who on next year's roster, including the two recruits, can you say with 100% confidence is ready for NCAA level competition? Let's assume all 6 possible players return (which would defy history, but whatever).

Howard - Yes
Battle - Yes
Lydon - Yes
Chukwu - No
Moyer - No
Brissett - No
Sidibe - No

I would upgrade Thompson to a yes, and Chukwu to a maybe.

The other 3, who knows. Easier to lean towards no based on what we know. But sometimes guys surprise us and are more ready to contribute than expected. CJ Fair and Baye Keita are good examples of that.

Last edited:

Howard - Yes
Battle - Yes
Lydon - Yes
Chukwu - No
Moyer - No
Brissett - No
Sidibe - No

I don't think Sidibe or Brissett are ranked.

I don't think Sidibe or Brissett are ranked.

Yeah, looks like they are not by most publications. Something called 247sports has him at 48th.

But if neither are top-100 recruits, they are more likely to need a year or two to develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom