Class of 2016 - Grad Transfers still available... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grad Transfers still available...

We need bodies, especially if they're 1-2 year players. Grabbing 1-2 of these guys just for depth and practice purposes can't hurt at all.

Exactly. The reason I posted was to see who was still immediately available for this coming season. Otherwise, we are looking at a bunch of walk-ons to rely on for practice, let alone we need someone in a pinch during a game (foul trouble, injury, etc.).

We need bodies, especially if they're 1-2 year players. Grabbing 1-2 of these guys just for depth and practice purposes can't hurt at all.

Ideally you want another body, so you can go 5-5 and have a more competitive practice, I'm not sure if any of those guys we have an interest in.

Exactly. The reason I posted was to see who was still immediately available for this coming season. Otherwise, we are looking at a bunch of walk-ons to rely on for practice, let alone we need someone in a pinch during a game (foul trouble, injury, etc.).

What makes you think these guys are better than our walk ons??

pfister1 said:

Guess I don't think it hurts to find out if we have the open scholarships and we do. Now I don't want to take a chance on a guy for more than one year unless we're sure he can help but if they just have one year of eligibility, why not?

We are talking about the 9/10/11th spots on our upcoming roster. I'm still hopeful one of those three available scholarships is filled by TT. I am saying I would rather give a chance/scholarship to one/two of the guys I mentioned specifically (Mathews, McCormick, Chatman, Price) than let it go to waste or ride it out with just walk-ons.

We are talking about the 9/10/11th spots on our upcoming roster. I'm still hopeful one of those three available scholarships is filled by TT. I am saying I would rather give a chance/scholarship to one/two of the guys I mentioned specifically (Mathews, McCormick, Chatman, Price) than let it go to waste or ride it out with just walk-ons.

TT will be a really good recruit to get. I like his low post moves. We definitely need more players.

Yeah no reason to not pick up a few of these one year guys if at all possible. Nothing risk if your grabbing a solid character kid. Instant upgrade in practice for scrimmaging and potential for some much needed depth, as others have mentioned, in case of injury or sickness etc which happens every year to teams. Hopefully you can convince a kid or two that a masters degree, playing in the ACC, and the potential of making the ncaa tourney is worth their time.

Besides Matthews, LJ Rose is the best player on that list. He would be a fine pickup too.

Besides Matthews, LJ Rose is the best player on that list. He would be a fine pickup too.

Rose is BYU- bound to hang with the Mormans but I agree with your assessment of his game.

Its been said above, but I don't understand why we wouldn't take a flier, especially on players with only one year of eligibility remaining. If nothing else, an extra body in practice, as someone else said. Even if Thompson ever commits, we still have room for a couple players. I understand the hesitancy more on players with multiple years of eligibility left .

List from Jeff Goodman (I deleted commits so we can see who is left.)...

A.J. Astroth, 6-6, SF, Jr., Towson
Charles Buggs, 6-9, F, Jr., Minnesota
J.J. Butler, 6-3, G, Sr., Lipscomb
Jordan Chatman, 6-5, G, Jr., BYU
Daquan Cook, 6-2, G, RS Jr., UNLV
Evans Ganapamo, 6-5, SG, Jr., New Orleans
Khaliq Ghani, 6-5, G, Jr., Yale
Savon Goodman, 6-6, F, Jr., Arizona State
P.J. Hardwick, 5-10, PG, RS Jr., Arkansas State
DeAndre Harris, 6-4, SG, Jr., North Texas
Christopher Ikuenobe, F, Jr., UTRGV
Marvin Jones, 6-10, C, RS Jr., Kent State
Dusan Langura, 6-2, G, RS Jr., Mississippi Valley State
Jordan Mathews, 6-4, SG, Jr., California
Kellen McCormick, 6-8, F, Fr., Western Michigan
Reggie Patterson, 6-4, G, Jr., Mississippi State
Jodan Price, 6-7, SF, Jr., Eastern Michigan
L.J. Rose, 6-3, G, Jr., Houston
Chad Rykhoek, 6-11, C, Jr., Baylor (2 years left)
Skylar Scrivano, 6-10, F, Jr., Saint Joseph's
Scott Sill, 6-9, F, Jr., Delaware State
Justus Stanback, 6-9, F, Jr., IUPUI (two years remaining)
Tristan Thomas, 6-2, G, Jr., USC Upstate
Parker U'u, 6-4, G, Jr., San Diego State
Karon Waller, 6-4, SG, Sr., Binghamton
Johnny Zuppardo, 6-8, F, Jr., Mississippi State

whoa... jordan matthews is legit!

Rose is BYU- bound to hang with the Mormans but I agree with your assessment of his game.
Oh, foo.

So there's nothing more than practice bodies at this point, at least at Guard. We know Matthews isn't coming here.

I haven't heard anything further on Jordan Chatman, the grad transfer from BYU. I do know that he was accepted into BYU's law school upon his graduation, but then they said he couldn't also play basketball. Hence the reason why he is transferring. I wonder if this common in that department at other schools. Might be too demanding in their eyes. Have we had any players that were also in law school?

I haven't heard anything further on Jordan Chatman, the grad transfer from BYU. I do know that he was accepted into BYU's law school upon his graduation, but then they said he couldn't also play basketball. Hence the reason why he is transferring. I wonder if this common in that department at other schools. Might be too demanding in their eyes. Have we had any players that were also in law school?

Apparently BC does...

No clue if there'd be mutual interest. If so, maybe Hop uses his West Coast connections? He can shoot and play the 2.

No clue if there'd be mutual interest. If so, maybe Hop uses his West Coast connections? He can shoot and play the 2.

The school said Wednesday that Paras has withdrawn from school after failing to meet academic conditions that were part of his admittance.

Does Hop have a magic transcript wand that he can wave? ;)

The school said Wednesday that Paras has withdrawn from school after failing to meet academic conditions that were part of his admittance.

John Montgomery, principal at Los Angeles Cathedral High, where Paras recently graduated, said the standout basketball player was an honors student who had met all of his NCAA requirements, but added, “There was an SAT scoring issue.

I believe that his SAT score was not up to snuff for UCLA but from what I've read is good enough to meet NCAA requirements. He's a very good student in general allegedly.

I believe that his SAT score was not up to snuff for UCLA but from what I've read is good enough to meet NCAA requirements. He's a very good student in general allegedly.

True. Read above. His scores weren't up to the UCLA standards, but he'll be good go elsewhere.

True. Read above. His scores weren't up to the UCLA standards, but he'll be good go elsewhere.

I reached out to Francis03 to see what he thinks. No clue if he'd be interested in playing on the east coast or if he's even on our radar at all. He has a rep as a shooter and we certainly need another shooter.

Bruins are selling this news as a good thing...

Kobe Paras was a key recruit for Steve Alford to get the Compton Magic connection rolling. He was also the least of all the Compton Magic players and really it was hard to see Kobe playing any meaningful minutes the next few seasons. It is not just this year that he would be buried on the depth chart behind Bryce Alford, Lonzo Ball, Isaac Hamilton, Aaron Holiday and Prince Ali but next season as well. Next year, Jaylen Hands is coming in with Holiday and Ali likely still around and maybe even LiAngelo Ball playing in front of him. Really it was hard to see where Kobe gets on the court.

So in a strange way this works out for Steve Alford. Kobe helped open the Compton Magic pipeline but was arguably the least of the group that includes TJ Leaf, Jalen Hill, and Jaylen Hands. Alford and staff look good in that they fought all the way to the end for Kobe so the Compton Magic people should be happy. Kobe probably was not going to be a factor for the team.

However, I find it hard to believe this was intentional. Bottom-line is the Paras withdrawal can be viewed through whatever prisms you want to decide if it was ultimately good. I do think it safe to assume though that Alford and staff have still not figured out UCLA admission standards. IMHO, I find that troubling

Sounds like he would've been a numbers casualty there.