Grantland Clown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Grantland Clown

"because I was reared in upstate New York "

oh great, another BF victim..
This is him crying out for attention... outside the line breaking news in 3...2...1...

Out west there are a lot of cities with fantastic downtown areas.

I am not going to say that Syracuse is great, nor am I going to talk about the 4 seasons.
I would however like to know what sparked the disdain for Syracuse (city)?
Was this guy beat up a few times? Couple too many wed-geezs?
Or is he just soft like baby s#!+ ?

Out west there are a lot of cities with fantastic downtown areas.

That's great. It's not really the point. Most cities have bad areas, and he's used one of Syracuse's worst areas to paint a picture of what the entire city is like. Not fair and it's things like this that give Syracuse the bad rep it has with the common person who's never been there.

I gotta admit, I felt the same way about Cuse when I went to school there.

After being out of the city for a few years though, I long to go back. Much worse cities out there.

Not true at all.

very true. all "downtowns" have good and bad streets some have both depending on where you are. only difference is size. s. salina street has the section with shops, stores, galleries etc, just like a lot of downtown streets in other cities. there are also bad ends to s salina st, just like other cities.

Hey, listen, I'm not saying I agree. I'm New Berlin > Johnson City > Syracuse (undergrad and grad) > NYC.

I get that he is cherry picking. Syracuse has some great spots, no doubt about it. But who gives a crap if some dude on a pop culture/sports journalist site gives Syracuse some unsubstantiated crap?

Yes, picking S. Saline is BS, but his overall point holds relatively true, that Syracuse isn't the greatest place in the world. Did he go overboard, sure. But you can say a lot of that crap about all of upstate NY.

Upstate NY isn't defined by its beauty and wonderful weather and unlimited industry. It's defined by the people. Syracuse may not be postcard material compared to other places, but it's got great (albeit grumpy) people. My larger point is that people are really defensive when someone takes a shot at Syracuse. My response is, "who cares?" - this dude is just playing a part and getting a rise out of people.

I know. I don't care if someone writes an article on why su will lose or that type of thing. but the s salina thing was stupid. every city has a s salina st that leads to a bad part of town.

Upstate NY isn't defined by its beauty and wonderful weather and unlimited industry. It's defined by the people. Syracuse may not be postcard material compared to other places, but it's got great (albeit grumpy) people. My larger point is that people are really defensive when someone takes a shot at Syracuse. My response is, "who cares?" - this dude is just playing a part and getting a rise out of people.

I understand your larger point but I disagree about a lack of beauty in upstate NY. I'm working on a huge expansion in Oswego (I live outside Syracuse though). We have contractors from all over the country and I mean all over. Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana etc. A number are shocked by the multitude of lakes, the fishing, the Adirondacks, the wine country, the gorges, waterfalls and even the apple season and what Southern Onondaga County offers all within 2 hours. In fact, it's made me appreciate more what we have here. Just last weekend a number of the younger ones went to Syracuse for St Patricks then Tipp hill and some from Louisiana were laughing that it was like a mini Mardi Gras for "normal" people (that's sometimes debateable -lol). I overheard a conversation between about 6 contractors some who were bringing their wives up for a visit and hoped they could perhaps buy a camp/waterfront property because it's so reasonable and plentiful around here. They were saying it would be a great investment for fishing/hunting (I know nothing of either) and a second home to escape the unsufferable summers in Texas, Louisiana etc. So there's many different perspectives and people from Syracuse are probably the areas harshest critics and no doubt that I personally would love to see a revitalized city and more industry in the area too. Our natural surroundings are pretty top notch though.

No, you guys are all correct... Syracuse is a utopia.

Geez, some of you need to get a grip...

Grantland pieces are written with a high level of sarcasm and snark to attract a specific demographic - Young guys 18-34.

They're humorous editorials that blend sports with pop culture and bend the truth for comedic effect - Not factual in a literal sense.

I'm shocked some of you can get by day-to-day with the thin skin you exhibit in here.

I am not going to say that Syracuse is great, nor am I going to talk about the 4 seasons.
I would however like to know what sparked the disdain for Syracuse (city)?
Was this guy beat up a few times? Couple too many wed-geezs?
Or is he just soft like baby s#!+ ?

I am going with the option in boldface. He is clearly a massive pu$$y.

I understand your larger point but I disagree about a lack of beauty in upstate NY. I'm working on a huge expansion in Oswego (I live outside Syracuse though). We have contractors from all over the country and I mean all over. Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana etc. A number are shocked by the multitude of lakes, the fishing, the Adirondacks, the wine country, the gorges, waterfalls and even the apple season and what Southern Onondaga County offers all within 2 hours. In fact, it's made me appreciate more what we have here. Just last weekend a number of the younger ones went to Syracuse for St Patricks then Tipp hill and some from Louisiana were laughing that it was like a mini Mardi Gras for "normal" people (that's sometimes debateable -lol). I overheard a conversation between about 6 contractors some who were bringing their wives up for a visit and hoped they could perhaps buy a camp/waterfront property because it's so reasonable and plentiful around here. They were saying it would be a great investment for fishing/hunting (I know nothing of either) and a second home to escape the unsufferable summers in Texas, Louisiana etc. So there's many different perspectives and people from Syracuse are probably the areas harshest critics and no doubt that I personally would love to see a revitalized city and more industry in the area too. Our natural surroundings are pretty top notch though.
I love JB's comment about Syracuse (roughly paraphrased): "Syracuse is the most beautiful place on earth 6 months out of the year...the other 6 months are basketball season". I live in Virginia now, but upstate New York is as majestic as anyplace I've been, even if the economy has been rough for a long time.

I think this type of reporting is reflective of the ESPNization of the sports culture. Both in print and TV you have people that are always stylin' and looking to talk smack as a way of trying to get attention. Everyone has a rap now and just the straight discussion of the sport is now deemed to be too boring. It sucks.

I know. I don't care if someone writes an article on why su will lose or that type of thing. but the s salina thing was stupid. every city has a s salina st that leads to a bad part of town.

Fair point.

Pick a city, any city. Now pick the downtown of that city. They are basically the same. Why would he compare South Salina Street to anything? "Syracuse" isn't just South Salina St. What.
He could have at least made it Shonnard St. I would gladly walk down Salina St over Prospect Ave in Kansas City 8 days a week and twice with Cali.

Gotta fill space, feed the beast, etc.

It's just weak. If you're a local, you should have something better than zomg South Salina Street! You couldn't sound like more of a sheltered puss. CNYers aren't above laughing at themselves, you just have to bring it.

A number are shocked by the multitude of lakes

The lakes are what I miss most. I now live in the mountains of western NC so I have almost everything else outdoor related but the lack of lakes is painful. Most of the lakes we do have down south are all man made and muddy. We have plenty of rivers and streams to raft, fish and swim in but having grown up on Seneca Lake I am simply more of a lake person at heart.

This guy probably didn't get outside much when he lived in Syracuse. There are a lot of beautiful areas in and around Syracuse. You have to get out and see them. It's not like some other cities where the main hub is the most impressive area of town. Additionally, my guess is that places like Armory Square weren't even developed when this guy lived here. That's a pretty nice feature right there.

No, you guys are all correct... Syracuse is a utopia.

Geez, some of you need to get a grip...

Grantland pieces are written with a high level of sarcasm and snark to attract a specific demographic - Young guys 18-34.

They're humorous editorials that blend sports with pop culture and bend the truth for comedic effect - Not factual in a literal sense.

I'm shocked some of you can get by day-to-day with the thin skin you exhibit in here.
I'm right in the middle of that demographic and I have a firm grasp of snark and wit. Grantland is failing miserably at whatever it is that they're trying to do. Also, that same kid trashed the city of Syracuse in a preseason top 25 or some other article earlier in the year so apparently he's not too fresh or witty. From what I remember, he never lived in Syracuse either.

I've lived in Baltimore, trust me, the worst part of Baltimore is 3x worse than the worst part of Syracuse

I've lived in Buffalo and Dallas. Syracuse is Oz in comparing the inner cities of these 3.

I've lived in Buffalo and Dallas. Syracuse is Oz in comparing the inner cities of these 3.
225px-Ozposter.jpg

I've been to far more depressing cities in my life than Syracuse, NY. Great analysis though, basing the whole city off of what is one impoverished street. I'm fairly sure you could say the same thing about literally every city in the world.
Drive into Syracuse from the south on I-81 and I defy anyone to call it a dump. Hilly parts of the city are fantastic, flat parts, not so much.