Grantland college hoops preview | Syracusefan.com

Grantland college hoops preview

jekelish

Living Legend
Today's installment includes Syracuse:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ge-basketball-team-previews-the-title-snipers

1) How misinformed do you have to be to believe JB and Pitino hate each other?

2) Who are these people who expect MCW to be turnover prone? He had a 3.4 to 1 ratio last year, and while some of that was against bad competition early in the year, I don't remember him making any really bad decisions with the ball at all last year.

The Pitino owns Boeheim comment at the end apparently ignores last year's results. And no Trevor Cooney mention in the whole thing.

"If anyone rivaled North Carolina for disappointment in 2011-12, it was Syracuse, who had to endure the Bernie Fine scandal and Fab Melo's academic misadventures as they vied for a national title. Like the Heels, they fell in the Elite Eight."

Hmm...let's look at the preseason Top 25. Yes if only North Carolina and Syracuse could've equaled Duke and Uconn's seasons. What a disappointment. Look, we did underachieve to a degree, but to call that season a disappointment shows such a lack of perspective.

AP Top 25 Preseason Poll
RK TEAM REC PTS Previous
1 North Carolina (62) 0-0 1,620 7
2 Kentucky 0-0 1,501 11
3 Ohio State (1) 0-0 1,482 1
4 Connecticut (2) 0-0 1,433 9
5 Syracuse 0-0 1,338 12
6 Duke 0-0 1,301 3

Grantland sucks for anything college. They should just stick to the NBA

Yeah Zack Lowe is a good addition to their NBA coverage, and Simmons knows what he is talking about most of the time. But their college hoops? Eh.

2) Who are these people who expect MCW to be turnover prone? He had a 3.4 to 1 ratio last year, and while some of that was against bad competition early in the year, I don't remember him making any really bad decisions with the ball at all last year.

Yeah, MCW also had a lower TO rate than Scoop. And also don't forget PG generally cut down on their TO rate's after year 1. Scoop for instance went from a 29% TO rate to a 21% in year 2, though he did sit out a year so the comparison isn't perfect.

Today's installment includes Syracuse:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ge-basketball-team-previews-the-title-snipers

1) How misinformed do you have to be to believe JB and Pitino hate each other?

The writer also misrepresented Southerland's game (ignoring his development defensively and his improved shooting from inside the arc) and failed to acknowledge Coleman's physical transformation (suggesting he's a pudgy kid who will lumber up and down the court).

They would have done better if they had hired orangefan13 to write their preview.

The Pitino owns Boeheim comment at the end apparently ignores last year's results. And no Trevor Cooney mention in the whole thing.
Yes, the Pitino owns Boeheim comment was annoying enough last year when the fine print said "not including time at Providence". But now, to not include recent results, it makes no sense, and just reflects poorly on the writer.

Last year's sweep improved Boeheims record vs Pitino to 3-7 since Louisville joined the Big East.

So you're probably wrong.

Last year's sweep improved Boeheims record vs Pitino to 3-7 since Louisville joined the Big East.

The statement was Pitino owns JB. I believe JB actually has the lifetime lead in wins over Pitino. I believe JB swept Pitino during his time at Providence, at least twice yearly, with one year taking him 3 times.

So, really, the statement is just wrong. You need to start add your qualifiers to give it any punch, and to do that now after SU swept LVille last year just seems silly.

To say Pitino owns Boeheim the year after SU went 2-0 against Louisville, including a major beatdown at the Dome, is wrong, especially when that appears to be the full basis for picking Louisville over SU to win the conference.

I think that is a pretty fair superficial / scratch the surface assessment. We DID lose a lot of key players, and it remains to be seen how some of the former role players / younger guys step up as they ascend into more prominent roles.

That said, I am confident that a lot of those question marks will get answered positively, but I don't expect hacks from Grantland for not knowing the team / personnel as well as we do.

To say Pitino owns Boeheim the year after SU went 2-0 against Louisville, including a major beatdown at the Dome, is wrong, especially when that appears to be the full basis for picking Louisville over SU to win the conference.

3-7 over the last ten years, 3-9 going back to 1996.

Facts are facts.

The statement was Pitino owns JB. I believe JB actually has the lifetime lead in wins over Pitino. I believe JB swept Pitino during his time at Providence, at least twice yearly, with one year taking him 3 times.

So, really, the statement is just wrong. You need to start add your qualifiers to give it any punch, and to do that now after SU swept LVille last year just seems silly.

I guess it would be more accurate to say that Pitino dominates the series from theearly nineties on, but once you go back to the late to mid eighties, the series is more even.

Why aren't you all copy editors for Grantland??

I was just hoping for an analysis that demonstrated an above average understanding of the SU program and its prospects for the upcoming season. In my opinion, the writer failed in that regard, as did his editors.

Many posters here could do a better job, including you.

I was just hoping for an analysis that demonstrated an above average understanding of the SU program and its prospects for the upcoming season. In my opinion, the writer failed in that regard, as did his editors.

I know, but imagine if you had to put together a bunch of capsules on Missouri and Kansas? You might not be the most informed...

Hard to take any of this pre-season stuff seriously from average fan/columnist types.

I know, but imagine if you had to put together a bunch of capsules on Missouri and Kansas? You might not be the most informed...

Hard to take any of this pre-season stuff seriously from average fan/columnist types.
But its not his profession.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

2-0 over the last year. Facts are facts.

You have to be pretty myopic to come to any conclusion other than Pitino has dominated Boeheim since Lville joined the BE. One blowout in the dome and a one point victory in the YUM just made the record a little less embarrassing.

Just like one bad night in the Dome two years ago doesn't mean we haven't flat out dominated Seton Hall.

It's not even that big a deal. No one would ever say that Jamie Dixon is a better coach.

Your expectations are way too high.

If I were being paid for my writing, I'd make an effort to be informed on my subject matter. Also, this guy mentioned watching Coleman in high school, so my assumption is that he has more than a superficial familiarity with him (and perhaps the SU program).

And you're correct about not taking any of this stuff seriously.

College basketball is about as important to Grantland as NHL hockey is on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom