great comments by the players on HCSS | Syracusefan.com

great comments by the players on HCSS

kcsu

Living Legend
Great to read the comments by the guys on HCSS. Sounds like the players really like and respect him.

I'm also a Miami alum so I worry when players love the internal hire. See Larry Coker. I have high hopes for HCSS. Go Cuse!

I'm also a Miami alum so I worry when players love the internal hire. See Larry Coker. I have high hopes for HCSS. Go Cuse!
HCSS and Larry Coker have absolutely nothing in common! I honestly feel he will take this program to the next level.

Larry Coker, like the WVU HC Bill Stewart, were nothing more than place holders that imploded.

HCSS and Larry Coker have absolutely nothing in common! I honestly feel he will take this program to the next level.

Larry Coker, like the WVU HC Bill Stewart, were nothing more than place holders that imploded.

No idea how good Shafer will be, though I'm certainly optimistic. What i like about him is that a big part of any college coach's job is finding a way to motivate and get these 19-year-old kids to eat, drink and breath football 24-7. I don't want to say used car salesman-type personality, because it's not, but you do have to get these kids to buy into t-shirt slogan axioms. Shafer sounds like a guy who can absolutely do that.

I tend to think both Coker and Stewart get a bad rap, though. I mean, Stewart won 27 games in three years and guided WVU to one of the best bowl wins in its history. Coker was 60-15 in six years, won a national title, played for another and was in contention for a third opportunity late in 2003. Yeah, they really struggled toward the end but that may have been more of a systemic issue than Coker himself, right? I mean it's not like Randy Shannon or even Golden (as of yet) have figured it out either. And Holgerson isn't tearing it up at WVU for that matter.

we had that happen here, though it took a little longer and he had help getting there (err more like he didn't get the help he needed). But SS is no such animal to any of the ones mentioned here. The future is bright my friends with SS! Take it to the bank.

we had that happen here, though it took a little longer and he had help getting there (err more like he didn't get the help he needed). But SS is no such animal to any of the ones mentioned here. The future is bright my friends with SS! Take it to the bank.

Really? You are really going there?

You do recall that the coaches you are referencing had much to do with our success starting in 1985, right?

Really? You are really going there?

You do recall that the coaches you are referencing had much to do with our success starting in 1985, right?
thought the mention of how he got no facilities support would appease "yous type guys". Ok I give PP was the greatest coach ever here. If he got decent facilities he'd still be here and we'd have another NC in our belt. You win...

thought the mention of how he got no facilities support would appease "yous type guys". Ok I give PP was the greatest coach ever here. If he got decent facilities he'd still be here and we'd have another NC in our belt. You win...
You forgot to mention that if the Good Doctor would have inked Jeff Stoutland instead of SS, we'd be one step closer to a national prominence and one of college sports great "wrongs" would be partially "righted".

Oh well...it sucks that we're stuck with a guy that has zero CT connections.

True.

But not the point.

He took the program to heights beyond where it had been when he became an assistant.

Coker and Stewart did not.

You forgot to mention that if the Good Doctor would have inked Jeff Stoutland instead of SS, we'd be one step closer to a national prominence and one of college sports great "wrongs" would be partially "righted".

Oh well...it sucks that we're stuck with a guy that has zero CT connections.

Brilliant.

Don't worry - we have lots of MAC connections.

Who needs SEC/southern HS recruiting inroads.

Hate to see where this thread is headed, but I do agree with the OP . . . it's good to see the kids are buying in. Hopefully the results are evident on the field. LGO.

I think HCSS has a chance to be great here if he continues the momentum started under Maronne. I just don't think the level of player affinity is a good measuring stick as the Miami players also loved Coker and felt the continuity would help them. It did help in the short term with a National Championship (almost multiple) but Coker wasn't the long term solution.

As an aside, one of the things I liked about Marrone early on is he was a SOB and we lost a lot of players who probably shouldn't have been here. Cuse had gotten soft during the Robinson years. Like I said, I have high hopes for Shafer. I hope he keeps that SOB HC style that helped bring Cuse back to a hard hitting motivated team that the competition dreads to play against.

Go Cuse!

Not to bring up bill Stewart but how did he implode? He won 9 games every year. I'd take that over greggy pooh any day of the week. Plus Larry Coker won a national title and had 2 appearance in title games. Granted Coker stumbled down the stretch but he still was extremely successful. Both of them were.

Plus Larry Coker won a national title and had 2 appearance in title games. Granted Coker stumbled down the stretch but he still was extremely successful.

A decapitated turkey could have equaled Coker's "success" with the roster he inherited.

A decapitated turkey could have equaled Coker's "success" with the roster he inherited.

Agree. That was my earlier point exactly. Short term gain, long term pain through mismanagement of the program. Still hasn't recovered.

Agree. That was my earlier point exactly. Short term gain, long term pain through mismanagement of the program. Still hasn't recovered.
Shafer just spent four years watching Marrone rebuild the program from ashes. If he didn't learn any lessons from that, then he's not the long-term answer. But it won't be anyone else's fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom