Great game, Guys! | Syracusefan.com

Great game, Guys!

SpiedieGon

Walk On
Instant classic. Ennis and Fair were incredible. I can't tell you, as a Duke fan, in the heat of the moment, Ennis' made FT after made FT were SO ANNOYING! Jeepers creepers, he's a freshman. Removed from the game, it's simply and admirable performance from him.

Anyways, what a classic, great, great game. Congrats! Special atmosphere!

Hello, people!

Figured I'd just bump this, rather than start a new thread. I just wanted to say good game, again. Another classic ending, in a slightly different way. The call was definitely iffy, and most definitely would probably be a block the majority of the time. I won't say it was completely wrong, but then again, I'm biased.

I thought both teams did a great job of not letting the other play well. Syracuse's length gives Duke fits, and I thought Duke did a great job pressuring Ennis and Cooney. So different from the first game, but another good one. It's unfortunate it ended with controversy, but I hope we have a rubber match in the ACCT.

Coach K won't smite you down if you tell it like it is and say it was a horrible call. You're allowed to tell the truth.

Hello, people!

Figured I'd just bump this, rather than start a new thread. I just wanted to say good game, again. Another classic ending, in a slightly different way. The call was definitely iffy, and most definitely would probably be a block the majority of the time. I won't say it was completely wrong, but then again, I'm biased.

I thought both teams did a great job of not letting the other play well. Syracuse's length gives Duke fits, and I thought Duke did a great job pressuring Ennis and Cooney. So different from the first game, but another good one. It's unfortunate it ended with controversy, but I hope we have a rubber match in the ACCT.

Both teams played lock down defense until our bigs got in foul trouble. That was the difference, to me anyway. We basically couldn't play aggressive defense near the basket for 3/4 of the second half. Parker and Hood he their way. The fact that we were down 6 in that hostile environment AND STILL were within one controversial call of tying is an amazing feat for a team that hasn't played well for two weeks. I think they have their edge back, and to me that is more important than the win right now.

I predict 4-0 to finish the season and the top seed in the ACC tournament. The sleeping giant has been re-awakened.

See you in Greensboro...and then in North Texas. ;)

Coach K won't smite you down if you tell it like it is and say it was a horrible call. You're allowed to tell the truth.
I'm actually sincerely telling the truth, but again, I admit, I'm a Duke fan, I see it differently.

Would that usually be a block? Yes. Was it egregious? In my honest opinion, no. Not that that means anything coming from a Duke fan, JMO.

I'm actually sincerely telling the truth, but again, I admit, I'm a Duke fan, I see it differently.

Would that usually be a block? Yes. Was it egregious? In my honest opinion, no. Not that that means anything coming from a Duke fan, JMO.
The real problem with the call is it should have been no call, just like the last play in the dome. When you are in an end game situation, the game needs to be decided by the players not the officials. Unless there is such a blatant action as to give a team an unfair advantage in the last seconds, the officials should not be involved. When you have a great game coming down to the wire, incidental contact on a last second play should always be a no call. In baseball the tie goes to the runner, in this situation the players decide the game, not the official.

baggerbob eh, i think you HAVE to make a call with all that contact. imagine it was a no call and CJ missed the shot. people would have gone even more nuts. the point of why it was such a bad call, is the situation. if it is 50/50, and at that point in the game with the score being what it was, it has to be a block.

The real problem with the call is it should have been no call, just like the last play in the dome. When you are in an end game situation, the game needs to be decided by the players not the officials. Unless there is such a blatant action as to give a team an unfair advantage in the last seconds, the officials should not be involved. When you have a great game coming down to the wire, incidental contact on a last second play should always be a no call. In baseball the tie goes to the runner, in this situation the players decide the game, not the official.

Are you suggesting the end of the game should be called differently from the rest of it? That's practically a definition of "inconsistent."

This ^^^^^^^^

How does our Duke friend feel about that call?

Cowtown said:
Are you suggesting the end of the game should be called differently from the rest of it? That's practically a definition of "inconsistent."

That's exactly how every game NCAA and NBA game is called.

Just curious, what did/do you make of the blocking call on Gbinije vs Parker?

Just curious, what did/do you make of the blocking call on Gbinije vs Parker?
I thought it was a block under the new rule. Just like I said I thought the last play was a block. They'd both most likely be blocks 90% of the time, one was, one wasn't, and it worked out in Duke's favor. I'm not arguing that.

Hello, people!

Classy. Congrats on the win. Should be a helluva March.

I thought it was a block under the new rule. Just like I said I thought the last play was a block. They'd both most likely be blocks 90% of the time, one was, one wasn't, and it worked out in Duke's favor. I'm not arguing that.

Please explain why you think it was a block on Gbinije? Gbinije was set much sooner than Hood was. In fact both his feet were planted like fricking oaks before Parker bulled him over. That's right. Parker never even left his feet if I recall correctly.

Cowtown I really want to know your opinion on this. Last night about 2 hours before the SU game I was coaching my sons JV game. We were up 2 with 15 seconds left and our guy gets pushed in the back to put us on the line. No attempt at the ball. I yelled at the time that it was intentional. After the game I asked the ref how it could not have been intentional if he didn't go after the ball and the ref said he couldn't make that call because that would have been the game. What do you think of that answer?

Cowtown I really want to know your opinion on this. Last night about 2 hours before the SU game I was coaching my sons JV game. We were up 2 with 15 seconds left and our guy gets pushed in the back to put us on the line. No attempt at the ball. I yelled at the time that it was intentional. After the game I asked the ref how it could not have been intentional if he didn't go after the ball and the ref said he couldn't make that call because that would have been the game. What do you think of that answer?

CYPM's

I know you asked Cowtown and not me, but I think the ref completely screwed up. You enforce the rules the exact same whether it's 1 second into the game or 1 second left in the game. I hate that cliche of "refs shouldn't be deciding the game at the end." If they swallow their whistle when a call needs to be made, then THEY have decided the game, not the players.

The home team gets most of the calls. That's just the nature of the game.

I know you asked Cowtown and not me, but I think the ref completely screwed up. You enforce the rules the exact same whether it's 1 second into the game or 1 second left in the game. I hate that cliche of "refs shouldn't be deciding the game at the end." If they swallow their whistle when a call needs to be made, then THEY have decided the game, not the players.
That's what I tried to tell him after the game. A couple of weeks ago I tried to tell a different ref that same thing during the game and I got a Technical Foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom