Great quote in Tucson paper about SU-UK | Syracusefan.com

Great quote in Tucson paper about SU-UK

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
If the college basketball season were the BCS we could just assign Kentucky and Syracuse to the men’s title game and then wait 45 days for them to play.

I have often wondered if those who favor the BCS system really think it should be used in other sports.

I have often wondered if those who favor the BCS system really think it should be used in other sports.

No, they don't, which even gives more discredit to their stance.

What if we had a BCS type system in basketball and two teams were simply chosen to play for the title at the end of the season? I thought it might be fun to look at the match-ups. I’ll use the weekly poll information in the ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia beginning in the first year of polls, (1948). From 1991, I go with the RPI ratings.

1949 BCS: Kentucky vs. Oklahoma A&M (State) That’s what we got, (WWG) Kentucky won
1950 BCS: Bradley vs. Ohio State. WWG: CCNY beat Bradley
1951 BCS: Kentucky vs. Oklahoma State WWG: Kentucky beat Kansas State
1952 BCS: Kentucky vs. Illinois WWG: Kansas beat St. John’s
1953 BCS: Indiana vs. Seton Hall WWG: Indiana beat Kansas
1954 BCS: Kentucky vs. La Salle WWG: La Salle beat Bradley
1955 BCS: San Francisco vs. Kentucky WWG: San Francisco beat LaSalle
1956 BCS: San Francisco vs. NC State WWG: San Francisco beat Iowa
1957 BCS: North Carolina vs. Kansas WWG: North Carolina beat Kansas
1958 BCS: West Virginia vs. Cincinnati WWG: Kentucky beat Seattle
1959 BCS: Kansas State vs. Kentucky WWG: California beat West Virginia
1960 BCS: Cincinnati vs. California WWG: Ohio State beat California
1961 BCS: Ohio State vs. Cincinnati WWG: Cincinnati beat Ohio State
1962 BCS: Ohio State vs. Cincinnati WWG: Cincinnati beat Ohio State
1963 BCS: Cincinnati vs. Duke WWG: Loyola (Chicago) beat Cincinnati
1964 BCS: UCLA vs. Michigan WWG: UCLA beat Duke
1965 BCS: Michigan vs. UCLA WWG: UCLA beat Michigan
1966 BCS: Kentucky vs. Duke WWG: Texas Western (UTEP) beat Kentucky
1967 BCS: UCLA vs. Louisville WWG: UCLA beat Dayton
1968 BCS: Houston vs. UCLA WWG: UCLA beat North Carolina
1969 BCS: UCLA vs. North Carolina WWG: UCLA beat Purdue
1970 BCS: Kentucky vs. UCLA WWG: UCLA beat Jacksonville
1971 BCS: UCLA vs. Marquette WWG: UCLA beat Villanova
1972 BCS: UCLA vs. North Carolina WWG: UCLA beat Florida State
1973 BCS: UCLA vs. Long Beach State, (NC State was on probation) WWG: UCLA beat Memphis (State)
1974 BCS: NC State vs. UCLA WWG: NC State beat Marquette
1975 BCS: Indiana vs. UCLA WWG: UCLA beat Kentucky
1976 BCS: Indiana vs. Marquette WWG: Indiana beat Michigan
1977 BCS: Michigan vs. UCLA WWG: Marquette beat North Carolina
1978 BCS: Kentucky vs. UCLA WWG: Kentucky beat Duke
1979 BCS: Indiana State vs. UCLA WWG: Michigan State beat Indiana State
1980 BCS: DePaul vs. Louisville WWG: Louisville beat UCLA
1981 BCS: DePaul vs. Oregon State WWG: Indiana beat North Carolina
1982 BCS: North Carolina vs. DePaul WWG: North Carolina vs. Georgetown
1983 BCS: Houston vs. Louisville WWG: NC State beat Houston
1984 BCS: North Carolina vs. Georgetown WWG: Georgetown beat Houston
1985 BCS: Georgetown vs. Michigan WWG: Villanova beat Georgetown
1986 BCS: Duke vs. Kansas WWG: Louisville beat Duke
1987 BCS: UNLV vs. North Carolina WWG: Indiana vs. Syracuse
1988 BCS; Temple vs. Arizona WWG: Kansas beat Oklahoma
1989 BCS: Arizona vs. Georgetown WWG: Michigan beat Seton Hall
1990 BCS: Oklahoma vs. UNLV WWG: UNLV beat Duke
1991 BCS; UNLV vs. Arkansas WWG: Duke beat Kansas
1992 BCS:: Kansas vs. Duke WWG: Duke beat Michigan
1993 BCS: Indiana vs. North Carolina WWG: North Carolina vs. Michigan
1994 BCS: Purdue vs. Missouri WWG: Arkansas vs. Duke
1995 BCS: UCLA vs. Arkansas WWG: UCLA beat Arkansas
1996 BCS: Kentucky vs. Massachusetts WWG: Kentucky over Syracuse
1997 BCS: Kansas vs. Kentucky WWG: Arizona beat Kentucky
1998 BCS: North Carolina beat Duke WWG: Kentucky beat Utah
1999 BCS: Duke vs. Michigan State WWG: Connecticut over Duke
2000 BCS: Cincinnati vs. Kentucky WWG: Michigan State beat Florida
2001 BCS: Duke vs. Stanford WWG: Duke beat Arizona
2002 BCS: Kansas vs. Cincinnati WWG: Maryland beat. Indiana
2003 BCS: Kentucky vs. Arizona WWG: Syracuse beat Kansas
2004 BCS: Kentucky vs. Duke WWG: Connecticut beat Georgia Tech
2005 BCS: Kansas vs. Illinois WWG: North Carolina beat Illinois
2006 BCS: Duke vs. Villanova WWG: Florida beat UCLA
2007 BCS: Ohio State vs. North Carolina WWG: Florida beat Ohio State
2008 BCS: Tennessee vs. North Carolina WWG: Kansas beat Memphis
2009 BCS: Duke vs. Pittsburgh WWG: North Carolina beat Michigan State
2010 BCS: Kansas vs. Kentucky WWG: Duke beat Butler
2011 BCS: Kansas vs. Ohio State WWG: Connecticut beat Butler

It’s more than a question of which result you like better. It’s the teams that were left out of the 1 vs. 2 format that were included in the comprehensive tournament. I think the public would be very upset if we ditched the tournament format for a 1 vs. 2 game and the schools that would be left out, (including Syracuse) would have rebelled against it.

I do think the tournament format has done an increasingly poor job of producing the match-ups we’ve waited all season to see. That Connecticut- Butter game still bothers the heck out of me. But I don’t see switching to a 1 vs. 2 game as any kind of an answer. If I had my druthers, I’d prefer to pick the top 16 teams in the country and put them in four regionals. Then each regional would be like an Olympic pool: a round robin but instead of two teams advancing, I’d have extra games to break ties. Then the four regional champions advance to the Final Four, with the National Championship being decided the same way. The best teams would have a better chance, (but not an automatic one) of advancing and producing better match-ups in the Final Four and a champion who was more clearly the best team in the country.

If the college basketball season were the BCS we could just assign Kentucky and Syracuse to the men’s title game and then wait 45 days for them to play.

Moreso than any season I can remember. I really don't think there is a 3rd team even worthy of a #1 seed, at this point...

Moreso than any season I can remember. I really don't think there is a 3rd team even worthy of a #1 seed, at this point...
Who do you think are the top four teams in the country?

44cuse

I love that for the next month, that's what people are going to be talking about - whether the 2 of us can reach the finals. We are the dream match-up this year. I don't think we've ever been in this position before, and personally, I am LOVING it.

Saw this on the UK board and rather than start another thread I thought I'd just put it here

"I can't believe dickie v thought syracuse would go undefeated all the way into the tourney. All it takes is a good shooting team/rebounding team to beat them. The big east just sucks this year. Top 4 SEC teams are better than the top 4 big east teams. I am not worried about any big east team. I want to beat the crap out of them and shut the tards up."

Missouri is worthy, only 2 losses

Saw this on the UK board and rather than start another thread I thought I'd just put it here

"I can't believe dickie v thought syracuse would go undefeated all the way into the tourney. All it takes is a good shooting team/rebounding team to beat them. The big east just sucks this year. Top 4 SEC teams are better than the top 4 big east teams. I am not worried about any big east team. I want to beat the crap out of them and shut the tards up."
In the Big East-SEC Challenge this year, the Big East won 8-4. Outside of UK and Florida, the SEC is pure dung this year. Haven't you noticed all the ranked SEC teams this year ...oh yeah outside of those 2 there aren't any.

Wouldn't a good shooting and rebounding team win just about every game against anybody?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Wouldn't a good shooting and rebounding team win just about every game against anybody?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

No silly, shooting and rebounding are not assets against m2m teams.

I do think the tournament format has done an increasingly poor job of producing the match-ups we’ve waited all season to see. That Connecticut- Butter game still bothers the heck out of me. But I don’t see switching to a 1 vs. 2 game as any kind of an answer. If I had my druthers, I’d prefer to pick the top 16 teams in the country and put them in four regionals. Then each regional would be like an Olympic pool: a round robin but instead of two teams advancing, I’d have extra games to break ties. Then the four regional champions advance to the Final Four, with the National Championship being decided the same way. The best teams would have a better chance, (but not an automatic one) of advancing and producing better match-ups in the Final Four and a champion who was more clearly the best team in the country.

I think your idea for crowning a champion is best. In a perfect world we would see that as well as big single elimination tournament (though this could only happen if the big schools separate from the rest of the NCAA).

Personally I like the idea of having a big single elimination tournament (I think the NBA should do one mid season in addition to their regular playoffs) but it is clearly not the way to identify the best team and people need to understand that. The best team last year was Kansas. None of the teams that made the final 4 were among the 15 best teams in the country. If you want exciting television (which is what I like) a single elimination tournament is the way to go. But pretending the tournament crowns the best team is silly. Especially when you have an increasingly watered-down college product where nobody stays 4 years and every team has its flaws, and the 3 point line is so very close to the basket. Its unrealistic to expect the best team to go through the entire tournament without losing most, or even some of the time. In the real world the best team winning is a rare thing, and it usually happens for the same reasons a lesser team wins, they get favorable match-ups, lucky breaks, and never run into a team that is red hot shooting the ball.

I thought it was 8-4 in the Big East Challenge this year...

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - Queen Gertrude (Hamlet)

None of this bothers me, because the infatuation that the Kentucky fans have with convincing themselves Syracuse is way overrated is only demonstrating (to me at least) that we are pretty much the only team they are worried about.

Not a bad position to be in, methinks.