Great read on 3rd Tier rights | Syracusefan.com

Great read on 3rd Tier rights

Excellent article. Perhaps Mr. Haggard needs to recite this paragraph over 100 times.

"What FSU additionally must offset any potential increase in money from third-tier against is the exceptional distribution platform and exposure the ACC deal provides. All FSU football and men’s basketball games (all ACC football and men’s basketball games) are presently available for viewing at least on ESPN 3 – which is available in 75 million homes nationwide. That allows FSU fans everywhere, and recruits, to easily view Seminole games on-line and on mobile devices and tablet computers. Additionally, with ESPN producing these games, FSU incurs no production costs and the quality of the broadcast is assured."

I don't know if I would consider ESPN3 to be of quality?

This, combined with the earlier article that stated FSU didn't have Tier 3 rights in the last contract signed in 2010 makes Haggard look like a moron.

I don't know if I would consider ESPN3 to be of quality?
I don't know. I guess I'd have to be able to access it in Cincinnati in order to determine that. ;)

espn3 still irks me.

is it tier 3 or tier 2??
what is tier 1?? abc & espn? is espn2 and the U tier 2?

scooch, little help...

:noidea:

First-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games broadcast nationally.

Second-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games not selected by the first-tier rights holder.

Third-tier rights are any games not selected by the first- or second-tier rights holders and rights for all sports other than football and basketball. These rights are often sold on a per-school basis (not negotiated by the conference as a whole) and often go to regional networks (Comcast Sports Southeast, Raycom, or SportsNet New York, for example). They can also be reserved for networks like the Big Ten Network and the Texas Longhorn Network.

Deals are now being done for multiple tiers, though. For example, the Pac-12's new deal with ESPN and FOX covers first- and second-tier rights. And the ACC's deal covers football, men's and women's basketball, Olympic sports and all conference championship games. Basically, it's an all-inclusive package with a sublicensing arrangement in place with Raycom for games not broadcast by ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/705/

First-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games broadcast nationally.

Second-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games not selected by the first-tier rights holder.

Third-tier rights are any games not selected by the first- or second-tier rights holders and rights for all sports other than football and basketball. These rights are often sold on a per-school basis (not negotiated by the conference as a whole) and often go to regional networks (Comcast Sports Southeast, Raycom, or SportsNet New York, for example). They can also be reserved for networks like the Big Ten Network and the Texas Longhorn Network.

Deals are now being done for multiple tiers, though. For example, the Pac-12's new deal with ESPN and FOX covers first- and second-tier rights. And the ACC's deal covers football, men's and women's basketball, Olympic sports and all conference championship games. Basically, it's an all-inclusive package with a sublicensing arrangement in place with Raycom for games not broadcast by ESPN.

ok, so regarding the 'new' ACC.

-all games on abc and any of the espns is tier 1.

-what then is tier 2? FOX and its property? for us NYers that means the MSGs

-so the leftovers then can be sold to SNY?

am i getting close?

production quality of espn3 is not the same as how it looks depending on your ISP connection.

Rutgers is going to make a fortune off of third tier rights. They have more crappy games than anyone! Pure genius.

While it may be unachievable for FSU to create its own network, it would seem as though the ACC as a whole would have enough content and resources to start up an ACC network for those third tier games.

ok, so regarding the 'new' ACC.

-all games on abc and any of the espns is tier 1.

-what then is tier 2? FOX and its property? for us NYers that means the MSGs

-so the leftovers then can be sold to SNY?

am i getting close?

Any FB or BB that ESPN wants is Tier 1. Game will end up on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN3

Any FB or BB that ESPN doesn't want is Tier 2. Should end up in CNY on either TW or CW6. I don't know who has the ACC rights in NYC.

Everything else is Tier 3 (LAX, Baseball, Women's sports, etc...)

How will the ACC agreement with EPSN for the sale of all Tier 3 rights affect Syracuse fans? Specifically regarding all the content Time Warner televises from home Syracuse homes. The unpopular home men's basketball games, the women's home basketball games, home games for SU lacrosse, softball, soccer, crew, volleyball, tennis, etc?

My understanding is that ESPN will have the rights for all home SU athletic events, and they can either broadcast them on one of their stations (or ESPN3), or produce a broadcast/sell it to the highest bidder who wants to televise it (typically locally/through NYS) or not produce a broadcast and collect a rights fee if someone else wants to televise an event and is willing to produce it themselves.

We won't have broadcasts of every SU athletic event, but the ones ESPN will do will be available throughout the country. Time Warner/other groups can bid on and televise the dregs ESPN does not want.

In addition, there will be an equivalent of the Big East game of the week type package that Time Warner has typically picked up that focuses on the ACC, along with a This Week in the ACC show, etc. True?

While it may be unachievable for FSU to create its own network, it would seem as though the ACC as a whole would have enough content and resources to start up an ACC network for those third tier games.

Swofford commentary on an ACC network...

Partnering with ESPN ends talk for now about the ACC following the lead of the Big Ten by creating its own television network. Commissioner John Swofford said the league did its "due diligence" by researching the issue, but said the ACC opted to avoid the upfront startup costs and the financial risk in favor of utilizing ESPN's in-place broadcast and multimedia outlets.
"When you go with somebody for that kind of money with no financial risk and they have the extensive platforms they have to distribute your games -- plus they have the technology and the desire to be on the cutting edge with new media -- it really begs the question: Why would you need your own network?" Swofford said.

How will the ACC agreement with EPSN for the sale of all Tier 3 rights affect Syracuse fans? Specifically regarding all the content Time Warner televises from home Syracuse homes. The unpopular home men's basketball games, the women's home basketball games, home games for SU lacrosse, softball, soccer, crew, volleyball, tennis, etc?

My understanding is that ESPN will have the rights for all home SU athletic events, and they can either broadcast them on one of their stations (or ESPN3), or produce a broadcast/sell it to the highest bidder who wants to televise it (typically locally/through NYS) or not produce a broadcast and collect a rights fee if someone else wants to televise an event and is willing to produce it themselves.

We won't have broadcasts of every SU athletic event, but the ones ESPN will do will be available throughout the country. Time Warner/other groups can bid on and televise the dregs ESPN does not want.

In addition, there will be an equivalent of the Big East game of the week type package that Time Warner has typically picked up that focuses on the ACC, along with a This Week in the ACC show, etc. True?

CW6 currently has the ACC GOTW package for Central NY.

Just off the phone with very large advertising agency president, friend and his media people. If FSU and anyone else chooses to leave the ACC, it would not be for the 3rd tier rights. Let me pass on what was explained to me:
1. FSU regardless of conference would have either 1 or 2 football games they themselves could package and sell--but these games would not be good ones; most likely against low lever D1 or D 2A (even Texas has this problem with football)
--FSU makes about $5million a year on coach's shows and other sports now and will continue to do so under ESPN contract
2. Tier 1 and Tier 2 contracts take all the good football games...all of t
3. Texas LHN is doing okay but is actually in less than 25% of homes in Texas...cable companies do not want to pay for the LHN and then charge customers
--even though Texas has a larger number of UTX alumns than FSU in Florida
--Target Market of general population is younger and more native to state of TX
--note that ESPN picked up most of the upfront cost for LHN and it cost Texas little to execute...and ESPN continues to contribute to the LHN to bring in $$$
--however, LHN does sell Univ Tx other sports like Bball, baseball, etc
--Univ TX has a brand name in state that is unrivaled and people will watch their other sports
4. Florida State is #2 Fl university behind the Gators...are the Gators making large dollars from a Gator network...NOPE
--demographics in Fl, the oldest state in the nation with most people coming from up north, cares little about Florida State University sports...lack of Target Market
5. The ACC contract is perhaps a bit light on dollars and maybe will be bulked up a bit by ESPN, but ESPN will televise nationally all football and most basketball games from ACC on one of its major networs: ESPN, ESPN 2 etc...other sports will reach nearly 75 million hh through ESPN 3
--this is nationally branding that gets loads of viewership and should help Flordia State and ACC get more recognition
6. According to Nielson ratings, ACC had more viewers of its football games than the Big 12...in fact it was the number 2 conference in eyeballs even though its football isnt as good as some of the other conferences
--did ACC take too little $$$; probably yes but then it was not an open negotiation
7. Florida State in last 10 years has been about as relevant as 'Cuse has in Football...in fact, Wake Forest has beaten FSU 3 of last 4 years

If FSU leaves, I will wave good-bye and not even sigh...oh well, life has its ups and downs. I am sure that FSU alumns, that are mostly found in the state of Florida and the southeast will be happy with their team now having a central to midwestern bent...bottom line, it is not 3rd tier rights that drive this decision. It may be a STRAW MAN that some think is real...but it is not.

Just off the phone with very large advertising agency president, friend and his media people. If FSU and anyone else chooses to leave the ACC, it would not be for the 3rd tier rights. Let me pass on what was explained to me:
1. FSU regardless of conference would have either 1 or 2 football games they themselves could package and sell--but these games would not be good ones; most likely against low lever D1 or D 2A (even Texas has this problem with football)
--FSU makes about $5million a year on coach's shows and other sports now and will continue to do so under ESPN contract
2. Tier 1 and Tier 2 contracts take all the good football games...all of t
3. Texas LHN is doing okay but is actually in less than 25% of homes in Texas...cable companies do not want to pay for the LHN and then charge customers
--even though Texas has a larger number of UTX alumns than FSU in Florida
--Target Market of general population is younger and more native to state of TX
--note that ESPN picked up most of the upfront cost for LHN and it cost Texas little to execute...and ESPN continues to contribute to the LHN to bring in $$$
--however, LHN does sell Univ Tx other sports like Bball, baseball, etc
--Univ TX has a brand name in state that is unrivaled and people will watch their other sports
4. Florida State is #2 Fl university behind the Gators...are the Gators making large dollars from a Gator network...NOPE
--demographics in Fl, the oldest state in the nation with most people coming from up north, cares little about Florida State University sports...lack of Target Market
5. The ACC contract is perhaps a bit light on dollars and maybe will be bulked up a bit by ESPN, but ESPN will televise nationally all football and most basketball games from ACC on one of its major networs: ESPN, ESPN 2 etc...other sports will reach nearly 75 million hh through ESPN 3
--this is nationally branding that gets loads of viewership and should help Flordia State and ACC get more recognition
6. According to Nielson ratings, ACC had more viewers of its football games than the Big 12...in fact it was the number 2 conference in eyeballs even though its football isnt as good as some of the other conferences
--did ACC take too little $$$; probably yes but then it was not an open negotiation
7. Florida State in last 10 years has been about as relevant as 'Cuse has in Football...in fact, Wake Forest has beaten FSU 3 of last 4 years

If FSU leaves, I will wave good-bye and not even sigh...oh well, life has its ups and downs. I am sure that FSU alumns, that are mostly found in the state of Florida and the southeast will be happy with their team now having a central to midwestern bent....bottom line, it is not 3rd tier rights that drive this decision. It may be a STRAW MAN that some think is real...but it is not.

Completely agree with your bottom line. But to say FSU has been as relevant as Syracuse has the last 10 years is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. FSU has the longest active bowl streak at 30 years. Also, the 2011 Chick-fil-a bowl set a record as the highest rated non-bcs bowl game. I'll be the first to admit that these were down years for FSU. But come on man...

This (in red) is similar to the BE's present deal with CBS, ESPN/ESPN regional and TW. What concerns me is how much I'll be able to see here in NY when SU moves over to the ACC. Hopefully, TW will put in a bid to buy our ACC third tier rights; or, if Raycom takes over as our 3d tier provider, I'm praying that we can still get content up here similar to what we've been used to from TW -- e.g., Syracuse Sidelines and LAX games, along with FB and MBB fall games not picked up by a CBS, ESPN or ESPN regional.

i cant believe chuckoliver.net was just linked on this website. if anyone on here lives in atlanta and listens to 680thefan, they will agree with my chuckle.

i guess we will be getting more of that with the acc move. i likey.

i cant believe chuckoliver.net was just linked on this website. if anyone on here lives in atlanta and listens to 680thefan, they will agree with my chuckle.

i guess we will be getting more of that with the acc move. i likey.
Note that both recent articles were penned by Chad Scott, not The King himself.

Chuck'll will be mostly fair toward the Orange. Matt, on the other hand, will be rough.

Rutgers is going to make a fortune off of third tier rights. They have more crappy games than anyone! Pure genius.

can you imagine if cuomo becomes big east commish,rutgirls would fall under the tier 6 format

Thanks for posting this article. Very educational. I've been pretty confused about this whole 1st tier, 2nd tier, 3rd tier thing (it's not my industry) but I have a better idea now.

I can't help but think Haggard was confused by it too. Someone probably had to explain the whole thing to him. Unfortunately it was after he made his comments.

My guess is that before he made the comments, someone a bit uninformed probably mentioned that Texas makes loads of money off of LHN and they get to keep all of it! They don't have to share it with the Big 12, who negotiated your stupid deal? If you've ever met an FSU fan, especially one who was an adult in the late 80's and 90's, you'd know all about the inflated view they still maintain of their place in the college football hierarchy. If Texas can do it, we can do it. We're a better football team that Texas!