Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
canine-flatulence-x.jpg

Welcome to Dog Farting Awareness Day!

Let's talk about farts. Like humans, all dogs fart. It doesn't matter their age, size, or breed. Sometimes people blame their own farts on dogs, but sometimes dogs really are to blame. Those who are thinking about adopting a dog must be aware of this.

What is behind dog farts? The main culprit is the swallowing of air, which often happens when dogs eat too quickly. This frequently happens when dogs eat together, as they often are competing for food. A respiratory disease that increases the breathing rate may also cause the swallowing of air, as will feeding a dog directly after exercise, before their breathing rate has slowed down. Other culprits causing dog farts include having a sedentary lifestyle and eating difficult to digest food such as soybeans, beans, spoiled food, high-fat food, high-fiber food, milk products, and spices. More serious problems such as gastrointestinal diseases may also be to blame. Other symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite and weight often accompany the farting of dogs with diseases. Inflammatory bowel disease, the inflammation of intestines because of a virus, irritable bowel syndrome, and neoplasia—the excessive growth of tissue in the bowel—also may be the cause. Parasites and a non-functioning pancreas are two more possibilities of why a dog is farting.

The more hydrogen sulfide in a fart, the smellier it is. Thankfully, the smelliness can be combated. A study found that charcoal and zinc acetate, as well as yucca schidigera, may reduce the smell of dog farts, although these things will not decrease the number of farts. Dog farts can also be fought with bismuth subsalicylate, simethicone, and pancreatic enzyme supplements. A veterinarian should be consulted before giving these supplements to a dog.

SU News

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Four-Star Wide Receiver Michael Thomas III Visits Syracuse Football | Clip from 3/8/24

Is Syracuse Football Top-80 Commit Demetres Samuel the NEXT TRAVIS HUNTER? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Premieres at 9 AM 4/8/2024)

Interview with HS coach of Demetres Samuel

Syracuse football currently has top 10 ranked 2025 recruiting class (247sports; McAllister)

Syracuse
football has been on fire on the recruiting trail early in the 2025 cycle. The Orange has 12 commitments before the first week in April is completed. For reference, Syracuse typically has a handful or less at this point in a cycle. That shows the kind of work the coaching staff has been doing. But it is not all quantity either. There is quality in Syracuse's class to date.

While 11 of the 12 commits are three stars per the 247Sports individual ranking (Malachi Coleman has yet to be evaluated), Syracuse does have one four star per the 247Sports Composite (a combination of the major recruiting services). That would be edge Sharlandiin Strange. Looking at the class in totality, however, remember that not all three stars are created equal. The range of three stars on 247Sports is 80 to 89. Anything 90 or above is a four or five star. Of Syracuse's 11 three star commits, seven are 86 or above. Six are 87 or above and four or 88 or above.

Compare that to the 2023 recruiting class, the last of the Dino Babers era. Syracuse had 18 total commits with only six 86 or above, one 87 or above and none 88 or above. In 2024, with Fran Brown taking over very late in the cycle, Syracuse landed nine recruits that were 86 or above, eight that were 87 or above and six that were 88 or above. That does not even take into account the transfers.

So even with the number of three star commitments, there is a drastic improvement in the quality of recruits (in terms of rankings) Syracuse is landing. That is something that should excite Orange fans.

In 2024, with limited time in the cycle, Brown and staff led Syracuse to the 38th ranked recruiting class by 247Sports and 37th by the Composite (for just recruits not transfers). In 2025 to date, Syracuse has the ninth ranked class by 247Sports and 10th ranked by the Composite. That is good enough for the second best class in the ACC by both 247Sports and the Composite.

Syracuse Football: Talented 3-star WR Jalil Hall from Pa. sets ‘Cuse official visit (itlh; Adler)

Jalil Hall, a three-star wide receiver in the 2025 class who hails from Pennsylvania, will make a trip to Syracuse football this June.

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Hall, who says he plays both wide receiver and defensive end, noted in a recent post on X that he has locked in an official visit to the Orange for June 7 to June 9.

Hall is a standout junior at the Monsignor Bonner & Archbishop Prendergast Catholic High School in Drexel Hill, Pa.

CUSE June 7th-9th DART pic.twitter.com/ECx5gtaDF5
— Jalil Hall (@Jalil1Hall) March 25, 2024
He said via his X page in late February of this year that he had received a scholarship offer from the new ‘Cuse staff, led by head coach and ace recruiter Fran Brown.

Three-star junior WR/DE Jalil Hall will officially visit Syracuse football in June.
According to recruiting services, besides the Orange, Hall’s offer sheet includes college squads such as Connecticut, James Madison, Nebraska, Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Duke, Pittsburgh and Maryland.

When I wrote this article, the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rated Hall at No. 653 overall, No. 108 at wide receiver and No. 19 in Pennsylvania.
0064764-xeow-1280x720.jpg

Irishsportsdaily

Syracuse football scores visit from 4-star from Virginia, elite top-10 defensive back (itlh; Adler)
Four-star Andre Clarke Jr., an elite defensive back in the sophomore cycle who hails from Virginia, plans to visit Syracuse football later this month.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Clarke, a top-60 national prospect in the 2026 class according to 247Sports, recently said on his X page that he will visit the ‘Cuse on April 20, which is the date of the team’s annual spring game.

Clarke is a standout athlete/defensive back at Hermitage High School in Henrico, Va., near Richmond. When I wrote this article, it was unclear to me whether he has received a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff.

Per , he holds more than 20 offers from teams including Appalachian State, Duke, East Carolina, Florida State, James Madison, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ole Miss, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Washington, West Virginia and SMU, among others.

Later this month, Syracuse football will get a visit from 4-star DB Andre Clarke Jr.

At the time of this writing, Clarke checked in at No. 52 overall, No. 6 at cornerback and No. 4 in Virginia within the 2026 cycle, according to 247Sports.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite, when I penned this piece, placed him at No. 92 nationwide, No. 8 at cornerback and No. 5 in Virginia.

Over at the industry-generated On3 Industry Ranking, Clarke was No. 162 nationally, No. 15 at safety and No. 8 in Virginia.

By extension, rates him at No. 244 around the country, No. 20 at safety and No. 8 in Virginia within his class.

Not too long ago, the Orange got on the board with its 2026 cycle when four-star athlete/defensive back and top-80 national prospect Demetres Samuel Jr. out of Heritage High School in Palm Bay, Fla., verbally pledged to the ‘Cuse.

LeQuint Allen eyes big 2024 season (spectrumlocalnews.com; MacWilliam)

2023 was a breakout season for Syracuse running back LeQuint Allen. He amassed over 1000 rushing yards in his first full season as a starter, he’s ready for an even bigger year this fall.

What You Need To Know

• After a 1,000 yard season on 2023, running back LeQuint Allen has his eye set on a more productive 2024 season
  • He's growing as a leader in the locker room
  • He says the work in the offseason getting bigger, faster and stronger has gone a long way so far this spring

“[It is] definitely exciting, you know," Allen said of the vibes around spring practice. "I'm just getting better every day. Having a, 'Not thinking about yesterday mindset or last year mindset,’ just getting bigger, just knowing the goal for the team and just being a role to help the team go in the right direction”

Even in the face of change across the board with the coaching staff, Allen says the last four months have been met with optimism.

“It's been a good transition, you know, getting everybody on the right path, paving the right direction for the goal that we want as a team," Allen said. "Just holding each other accountable at end of the day, you know, not getting mad about it. You know, we all grown men in here. So, you know, you want to build your brother.”

Telling it how it is and leading by example. Two of the biggest things Allen has worked on in the offseason.

“Being more vocal, you know, and leading by example and stuff like that on and off the field," Allen said. "I'm older guy now. I have to show the younger guys what it is and what it isn't. And just bringing all the guys together, you know, and just helping us connect to get that, that championship. That's what we want.”

“I really like the way he practices his mindset," offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon said of Allen. "He takes everything that is playing running back seriously. I think he's a three down back where, again, he can run the ball on first and second down and he can pass protect. He's really smart, he's physical and his pass protection and really underrated. Catching the ball in the backfield, he probably has some of the best hands on the team.”

At the end of the day, Allen’s play does the talking. He, like many of the Orange, looking noticeably bigger and stronger this spring. Weighing in around 200 pounds with the goal of getting even bigger. A tip of the hat to the work put in this offseason.

Shrader on the road to recovery ahead of NFL Draft (specturmlocalnews.com; MacWilliam)
Garrett Shrader will go down as the Syracuse football quarterback who left everything out on the field, a guy who played with his heart on his sleeve, fighting through injuries throughout his time in Orange. Injuries that also forced him to sit out of Syracuse’s Pro Day.

But as he now preps for the NFL, he wouldn’t change his Syracuse career for the world.

What You Need To Know

• Garrett Shrader says he is on the path to recovery after numerous injuries last season
  • He was dealing with shoulder and foot problems during the back half of 2023
  • He says he wouldn't change his SU career for anything as he eyes a spot in the NFL

For the back half of the season, Shrader was dealing with an injury to his shoulder which severely limited his ability to throw. But that wasn’t the only ailment facing the former Orange quarterback.

“I had another one on my foot from a game during the season, so I had to sit out a couple of games and all that I was dealing with and getting over the hump," Shrader said. "It's been good for me, just rehabbing. First time in my life, it's been really weird, not on a team, not working towards anything, just trying to get healthy. So it's all been good, though. I've been very grateful.”

Time away from taking snaps on the field is not easy for Shrader, but he still finds ways to keep busy.

“I've been doing a lot of reading and doing some, you know, self-help things," Shrader said. "Whatever I can work on my end ... but it's been good. It's been refreshing to get some rest, but after about two weeks, I'm ready to be up doing something again. So it's been good.”

His collegiate career was filled with twists and turns, navigating coaching change after coaching change — something this year's Orange team is facing under first-year head coach Fran Brown.

But Shrader still finds a way to impact the team, even if he’s not on it.

“Even watching the guys now with the new staff and how they're turning things around, you know, bodies are changing," Shrader said. "There's a lot of energy in the locker room. So there's some, it's been good to see. But yeah, I wouldn't trade last year for anything.”

As Shrader continues his rehab, he says he should be full go by June, hopefully finding his way onto an NFL roster as well.

“A lot of guys are looking at me, obviously quarterback," Shrader said of what position some NFL teams are looking at him for. "With the rule change they have, they have a lot more guys looking for athletic quarterbacks. They can add value in other places, you know, like Taysom Hill was doing it for a while. Now, he's completely converted. And some guys see me as a pure quarterback. So it just depends on finding the right fit; wherever I can add value and then eventually grow into a larger role.”

Shrader says he's taking more of a cerebral approach, waiting for an opportunity to showcase his athleticism as he looks to make it in the NFL.

“I've already been talking to a bunch of teams and navigating that, and Zoom calls coming up next week," Shrader said. "That process for me, especially with not being able to do a whole lot for the combine and then not be able to do Pro Day. So it'll be interesting to see where I end up, but you know, I'm excited and looking forward to it. I know whenever I get an opportunity, to take advantage of it.”

Players Only 4-7-24 (ESPN; radio; Players Only)
Ryan Storie and Jordan Capozzi start today’s show recapping their Section III games of the week. Then, they’re joined by CBA offensive lineman Matthew Hawn to discuss his commitment to play for Syracuse and more. Later, the guys preview some games to watch coming up this week before discussing the emergence of Section III girls flag football and naming the Oswego County Mutual Player of the Week.

Trebor Pena "The 315" 4-5-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Syracuse WR Trebor Pena chats with Brian about the spring season so far, playing for new coach Fran Brown and with new QB Kyle McCord. Plus, how excited he is to play as himself in the new NCAA Football video game.

New WWE Hall of Fame member shouts out Syracuse University in acceptance speech (PS; Owens)

One of the newest members of the WWE Hall of Fame gave a shoutout to Syracuse University, his alma mater, during his induction speech Friday night in Philadelphia.

Mike Rotunda, inducted as part of the U.S. Express tag team with his partner and real-life brother-in-law Barry Windham, grew up in Upstate New York and went on to wrestle and play football at Syracuse University before going on to fame as a professional wrestler.

Rotunda and Windham, who faced the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff at the first WrestleMania in 1985, were inducted into the Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2024 along with Paul Heyman, Bull Nakano, Thunderbolt Patterson, Lia Maivia and boxer Muhammad Ali.

Rotunda and Windham were introduced by Rotunda’s son Taylor — who wrestled for the WWE under the names “Bo Dallas” and “Uncle Howdy” — and Rotunda’s daughter Mika.

“Barry grew up in the wrestling business, with his dad being (WWE Hall of Fame member) Blackjack Mulligan,” Rotunda said in his induction speech. “Totally the opposite for myself. I look at it like I would never have gotten into the wrestling business if not for Syracuse University.

“I played football and wrestled there. The coach that recruited me, which Philly probably doesn’t like, is a gentleman named Tom Coughlin, who had a couple Giants Super Bowl teams. It also led to me meeting a gentleman by the name of Dick Beyer, ‘The Destroyer.’ He spoke at our wrestling banquet my last year there and asked me if I was interested in getting into pro wrestling. Long story short, I ended up going to Germany with him and I wrestled there for four months after I trained with him for two weeks.”

Beyer was a fellow Syracuse University graduate who had a long and successful pro wrestling career in the United States and Japan, holding world championships as the masked wrestlers “The Destroyer” and “Dr. X.” Beyer, who was co-captain of the 1952 football team that played in the Orange Bowl, died in 2019.

ACC News

Florida State Dragging the ACC Into the Mud (youtube; podcast; Kurtz)

Great insight from Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times on the FSU and Clemson lawsuits.

Can Florida State Football Win Their Lawsuit With The ACC? (youtube; podcast; Ruffino & Joe)

Joe DeLeone and Blake Ruffino discuss if Florida State football can win their lawsuit with the ACC with recent news surrounding the case

College football expansion: ACC gets small win vs. Florida State (SI; Parks)

A judge in North Carolina has denied two motions that were filed by Florida State to dismiss or stay a lawsuit from the ACC, giving the conference a minor win in the legal battle between itself and the school, which is looking to change leagues in a realignment move of its own.

The ruling means the lawsuit will go ahead in North Carolina, where the ACC office is located, rather than in the state of Florida, as the university had hoped, in effect allowing the conference a kind of home field advantage in the legal battle to come.

On the line in the suit is an estimated $500 million that Florida State could be ordered to pay the ACC in an exit fee and other costs should the school leave for another conference before 2036, when the league's grant of rights agreement expires.

"We are pleased with today's decision, which confirms North Carolina courts are the proper place to enforce the ACC's agreements and bylaws," the ACC said in a statement.

The conference added: "We remain committed to acting in the best interests of the league's members and will see this process through to protect and advance the ACC."

Florida State's board of trustees voted unanimously to file suit against the ACC to challenge its grant of rights agreement, but the ACC filed suit against the school the day before by accusing Florida State of breaching its contract with the conference.

ACC v FSU Lawsuit: Opinions 2024 Apr 7 (RX; HM)

ACC v FSU Lawsuit: Opinions 2024 Apr 7

In the CSNBBS thread "Seminoles versus ACC: the ongoing saga" I found some interesting comments...

From FrankTheTank (yeah, that one, who is a practicing lawyer):

(1) No one *wants* to go to court, but when the delta between the parties is literally several *hundred* million dollars, that is an economic circumstance where a protracted court battle becomes more likely. The stuff about parties wanting to prevent discovery is an “Internet lawyer” concern - that’s very rarely the issue in this type of case. As I’ve said repeatedly throughout this analysis is that breaking the GOR is an economic decision as opposed to a legal decision. When the parties are $10 million apart, then sure, there’s a realistic incentive for the parties to get a deal done because you might eat up that difference in legal fees trying to fight over that amount. I wouldn’t say the same when there appears to be $200-300 million or more difference between the parties. Litigants are more likely to go to the mat over that type of delta.

(2) There is no such thing as a number that FSU and Clemson can afford but the other ACC schools can’t afford. FSU is at the bottom of the ACC in terms of institutional wealth and Clemson is near the bottom. (This is very different compared to, say, Texas compared to the rest of the Big 12 or USC compared to the rest of the Pac-12 where those schools were legitimately the wealthiest schools as *institutions* in those leagues, not just merely the top athletic brand names.) That is another factor that would rationally point to the ACC fighting this as long as possible. It is a 100% fallacy that there’s a situation where only FSU and Clemson leave if allowed because the ACC would be granting an exit to two of the schools that have the *least* wealth. By extension, any exit price agreed to with FSU and Clemson is going to be by its very nature affordable to any other ACC school that is able to get an invite to the Big Ten or SEC. The ACC knows this, which is why it’s a disingenuous argument that the ACC can supposedly set a price that only FSU and Clemson can afford (as they’re two of the poorest schools in the league). The ACC knows full well that UNC and Miami can even more easily afford any exit payment that FSU and Clemson could pay. This isn’t just about the ACC being outright stupid (in a true breach of its fiduciary duties to its members) that somehow only FSU and Clemson leave - they know that any exit price is going to mean at least 2 other schools are going to be able to afford that exit price and that means the ACC is going to rationally set its price (or fight for that price via the courts) accordingly.

From TerryD (Notre Dame fan and retired lawyer) posted this opinion:

If you want to settle for the highest amount possible, you push this matter hard to trial, ask for tight discovery and other deadlines and stress the other side with your apparent eagerness to try this case.

You also wait until you are on the courthouse steps or getting ready to pick the jury. That is when serious settlement talks begin...on the spot.

You let the other side bring up the topic of settlement, every time.

You certainly didn't not discourage them from approaching to discuss settlement and you listen, take the offer to your client and counteroffer, but don't initiate.

You present a posture of being unconcerned about discovery or the upcoming trial, taking everything in stride and showing a complete poker face, no matter what.

That is what I would expect from the ACC lawyers going forward.

There is no good legal strategy reason for the ACC to settle this case any time soon, in my opinion.

From XLance (UNC fan):

ESPN needs to have this settled by the courts. It is the foundation of every contract that they currently have with multiple conferences. Without a legal understanding of what a GOR means financially, ESPN's whole concept of accumulated inventory is moot.
XLance later added:
It is unlikely, however, that those conversations [about FSU leaving and perhaps a settlement] ever took place. If they did they did those conversations would probably be the "centerpiece" of the FSU argument because it would show the ACC's unwillingness to negotiate.

UPDATE, ACC v FSU: Some Docs Remain Sealed (RX; HM)

UPDATE, ACC v FSU: Some Docs Remain Sealed

Highlights from Noles247 article "ACC vs. FSU Lawsuit: ACC's and ESPN's joint motion to seal documents is approved by NC court":

The North Carolina business court hearing the ACC vs. Florida State case ordered that some documents will remain sealed in part and others in totality. Largely, this appears to be another development that favors the ACC...

The court granted the ACC's motion to seal four exhibits in its initial complaint, keeping Exhibits 3, 5, and 6 accessible only to the Court and counsel of record.

The court denied the ACC's motion to seal the monetary amount in this paragraph of the initial complaint: "Following the ACC's acceptance of Florida State's Grant of Rights in 2013 and the implementation of the Second Amendment to the 2010 Multi-Media Agreement in 2014, Florida State received its pro rata share of the Rights Fee payments from ESPN, totaling _____ dollars..."

The court denied the ACC's motion to seal the terms "Grant of Rights Fee(s)/Payments" and "Rights Fee(s)" in several paragraphs of its complaint.

Any way FSU gets out early now? Maybe... (RX; HM)

Any way FSU gets out early now? Maybe...

I don't like FSU's chances in this case - I never have - but that 2027-36 contract option gives them a glimmer of hope... what do I mean? The language in the GoR says it's purpose is to allow the ACC to meet it's obligations under the ESPN contract. If, for whatever reason, ESPN doesn't extend it past 2027, it really looks like the GoR ends with the contract (most likely; after all, IANAL).

I don't think this is a case of FSU misreading the GoR, either. Obviously, I don't have a copy of the latest Grant of Rights document, but I do have a copy of the 2013 version (it appears to be the UNC copy, downloaded from WRALSports). This snippet should make it clear what I'm talking about:

1. Grant of Rights. Each of the Member Institutions hereby (a) irrevocably and exclusively grants to the Conference during the Term (as defined below) all rights (the "Rights") necessary for the Conference to perform the contractual obligations of the Conference expressly set forth in the ESPN Agreement... the right to produce and distribute all events of such Member Institution that are subject to the ESPN Agreement... Works that are created under the ESPN Agreement... events of such Member Institution during the Term which are reserved to the Conference and the Member Institution under the ESPN Agreement and which may be exercised as permitted by the ESPN Agreement...

Did you notice a trend there? The Grant of Rights (at least, the 2013 version) was all about rights needed to satisfy the ESPN Agreement. Again, IANAL, but it looks to me like there's no GoR without "the ESPN Agreement"!

JHowell's Picks for Weeks 0 and 1, 2024 (RX; HM)

JHowell's Picks for Weeks 0 and 1, 2024

JHowell.net has already posted projections for Week #0 and Week #1 of the 2024 college football season. Below are JHowell's ACC football game projections through the games of 9-2-24; let's see if his computer can pick the "dogs"...

Saturday, August 24, 2024

#14-Florida State (-14.5) vs. #71-Georgia Tech (TP=55 Odds=.716) @ Dublin, Ireland
#26-Southern Methodist (-19) @ #123-Nevada (TP=58 Odds=.761)

Thursday, August 29, 2024

#52-Minnesota (-0.5) vs. #38-North Carolina (TP=55 Odds=.506)

Friday, August 30, 2024

#37-Texas Christian (-11.5) @ #106-Stanford (TP=58 Odds=.662)

Saturday, August 31, 2024

#1-Georgia (-19) vs. #10-Clemson (TP=53 Odds=.784) @ Atlanta, GA
#7-Notre Dame (-8) @ #29-Texas A&M (TP=53 Odds=.624)
#44-Florida (-4) vs. #50-Miami (Florida) (TP=55 Odds=.559)
#71-Georgia Tech (-4.5) vs. #79-Georgia State (TP=57 Odds=.569)
#73-Pittsburgh (-16.5) vs. #127-Kent State (TP=53 Odds=.746)
#76-Virginia Tech (-6.5) @ #119-Vanderbilt (TP=54 Odds=.605)
#80-Syracuse (-0.5) vs. #69-Ohio (TP=50 Odds=.504)

Monday, September 2, 2024

#14-Florida State (-18.5) vs. #84-Boston College (TP=53 Odds=.777)

COMMENTS:

• ACC Underdogs, more than 14: GT (to FSU), Clemson (to UGA), BC (to FSU)
  • ACC Underdogs, 4 to 14: Stanford (to TCU), Miami (to Florida)
  • Too Close to Call: UNC (vs Minnesota), Syracuse (vs Ohio)
  • ACC Favorites, 4 to 14: Notre Dame (over Texas A&M), GT (over GA State), VT (over Vandy)
  • ACC Favorites, more than 14: FSU (over GT), SMU (over Nevada), Pitt (over Kent St), FSU (over BC)
I expect GT/FSU and Clemson/UGA to be closer than these predictions. I do not expect Stanford to lose to TCU at home by 11.5. This line is an insult to Syracuse!

Miami football ACC ranking in returning starters (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The Miami football team returns six starters on offense and six on defense in 2024. Miami returns 79 percent of its offensive production and 53 percent of its defensive production per Steven Lassan's article "ACC Football: Which Teams Return the Most Starters, Production and Talent for 2024?" for Athlon Sports.

Miami is tied for ninth in the ACC with Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest in returning starters. Clemson, California and Miami are tied for sixth in the ACC with 79 percent of their offensive production returning in 2024. Boston College, Miami and North Carolina State are tied for 12th with 53 percent returning defensive production.

The numbers do not include transfers. Miami is one of multiple ACC teams to bring in transfer quarterbacks in 2024. Cam Ward is the best of the ACC transfer QBs. Duke, Louisville, North Carolina State and Syracuse also signed high-profile transfer QBs during the 2024 offseason.

Miami returns starter guard Anez Cooper, tackles Francis Mauigoa and Jalen Rivers, tight end Cam McCormick and wide receivers Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo on offense. Miami has brought in center Zach Carpenter in addition to Ward, as projected starters on offense. Left guard will likely be open through August training camp.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/porta...ll-3-impactful-transfers-for-the-mountaineers (mikefarrellsports.com; Thomas)

Going into his sixth season at the helm of the West Virginia football program, head coach Neal Brown has produced just two winning seasons, which led to speculation about his job security going into last season.

Brown responded by coaching the Mountaineers to a 9-4 record, winning the Backyard Brawl 17-6 over Pitt and a three-game winning streak to finish the 2023 season, including a 20-point win victory in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl over the Tar Heels of North Carolina.

The Mountaineers return several key starters and contributors on both sides of the ball. On the defense, WVU returns nine of their top defenders across all three levels of the defense, with the defensive line and the linebackers being the strength for a unit that led the Big XII in sacks in 2023.

On offense, the Mountaineers return all three of their leading rushers that led the Big XII (and 4th in the FBS) in that category. QB Garrett Greene (2,406 yards passing, 772 yards rushing, 29 total TDs), RB Jaheim White (842 yards, four TDs), and RB CJ Donaldson (798 yards, 13 TDs) all return to the WVU backfield.

And, the Mountaineers return three starters on the offensive line, while Kole Taylor (35 catches, 444 yards, four TDs, 3rd on team) returns at tight end. However, the wide receivers will be young for the most part and will have to increase their production from last year.

Dividing the 80-Team Super League into Divisions | College Football | Big 10 | SEC | Big 12 | ACC (youtube; podcast; Saturday's Warrior)

With news of a group trying to form an 80-team super league in college football, we go through how we think those 8 divisions of 10 should be organized. We do our best to revert to traditional conferences to focus on regionality and reestablishing long-standing rivalries. We also decide which Group of 5 schools would get to compete the first year.

A Sunday Conversation: Scrimmage Summary, Position Battles, and Alliance 412 Effect! Lets Discuss! (youtube; podcast; Talking CFB with JJ)

On this episode of Talking College Football with JJ Kitchen, JJ discusses Spring Scrimmage Summary, Position Battles, and Alliance 412 Effect! Let’s discuss!

Grayson McCall Will Be The BEST Quarterback In The ACC (CFB H0T Takes) (youtube; video; TotallyTmanCFB)

Grayson McCall Will Be The BEST Quarterback In The ACC (CFB H0T Takes)

Spring Ball Nears Halfway Mark - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

The California football team held its seventh of 15 spring practices on a gorgeous Saturday at California Memorial Stadium. The full-padded workout included officials for a pair of 11-on-11 team sessions with the Golden Bears running 50 plays over two sessions.

The lone touchdown scored during the 11-on-11 work came on a four-yard run by Kadarius Calloway on the second of seven offensive drives. Calloway also had a 27-yard run on the same possession that was the longest run of the day and finished with six carries for 41 yards. Byron Cardwell, who missed all of last season due to injury, was on the field for the 11-on-11 sessions and had one rush for eight yards. Jaydn Ott got three carries for six yards and also caught two passes for nine yards.

Fernando Mendoza (10-of-16, 84 yards) and Chandler Rogers (6-of-9, 90- yards) saw all of the quarterback reps with a 30-yard connection from Rogers to Isaac Torres the longest pass play of the day. Mendoza (11 yards) and Rogers (7 yards) were each credited with four rushes.

Mikey Matthews (2-26), Jack Endries (2-20) and Marquez Dorth (2-19) had two receptions each to match the pair by Ott.

Defensive plays for negative yards included Nate Burrell's six-yard sack, a five-yard tackle for loss by BJ Jones, and a split 1-yard tackle for loss from Elijah Diaz and Collin Gamble. Eze Osondu and Marcus Scott had one pass breakup apiece.

"The effort was really pretty good, the energy at practice was good," Cal's Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox said after the workout.

Cal will practice each Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday over the next two weeks and wrap up spring workouts with the Cal Football Spring Showcase on Saturday, April 20 (2:30 p.m.).

All sessions are scheduled to be open to the public, free of charge and held at California Memorial Stadium. Attendees can enter the venue via Gate 2 in the northwest corner of the stadium and proceed to the concourse level through Stairwell 6 to available seating on the west side of the stadium. All other sections of the stadium including the field and North Tunnel are closed to public access.

Additional information regarding the Cal Football Spring Showcase will be announced soon.

Visit CalBears.com to place a 2024 Cal football season-ticket deposit. Season-ticket holders receive benefits such as access to exclusive experiences and events, priority for purchasing additional single-game, away games, and postseason tickets, special offers towards merchandise or sponsors, and much more.

Fans can also support the Cal football program by making a gift to the Cal Athletic Fund's Cal Football Championship CALiber initiative. Gifts help ensure Cal student-athletes have success at the highest levels of competition and academics.

2024 California Football Remaining Spring Practice Schedule

DAY, DATE – START TIME
Monday, April 8 – 8:45 a.m.
Wednesday, April 10 – 8:45 a.m.
Friday, April 12 – 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, April 13 – 11 a.m.
Monday, April 15 – 8:45 a.m.
Wednesday, April 17 – 8:45 a.m.
Friday, April 19 – 8:45 a.m.
^Saturday, April 20 – 2:30 p.m.
Unless otherwise noted all events at California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, Calif.; All times Pacific Daylight; Schedule subject to change; ^Cal Football Spring Showcase (Pac-12 Network coverage begins at 2:30 p.m. PDT)

Other

T7IQSY5RKBGOPORGCKFBSC3KKI.jpg

The path of the total solar eclipse will cross Western and Central New York, and the Adirondacks, on April 8.NASA

The solar eclipse forecast for Upstate NY is getting gloomier (PS; Coin)

In much of Upstate New York, the sun may be obscured by more than just the moon during the total solar eclipse on Monday.

National Weather Service forecasts are painting an increasingly gloomy picture of clouds Monday afternoon while cautioning that we might not know until Monday morning exactly where and how thick the clouds might be.

The main message so far is that clouds will be heaviest in the west and scarcest in the east of Upstate New York. The Adirondacks appear to be the best bet, but forecasters have backed off from their prediction on Saturday of “near-ideal” conditions in the Adirondacks on Monday afternoon.

“Cloud forecast during the Monday afternoon eclipse continues to remain uncertain at this point and may not even be fully known until just a few hours before the event starts,” cautioned the weather service office in Buffalo. “Exact placement of clouds may not be known until Monday morning.”

Predicting exactly what the sky will look like even more than a few hours in advance is perilous, particularly when, as now, a big storm system is on its way toward Upstate New York. It’s tricky to determine when that storm will reach Upstate New York, and to estimate when the vanguard cirrus clouds will move in ahead of the storm.

We might still be able to see the eclipse through a veil of high, thin cirrus clouds, but if the puffy, denser cumulus arrive early, that will block the view.

Upstate New York isn’t alone: Clouds are likely across much of the eclipse path, which in the U.S. runs from southwestern Texas to northern Maine.

All is not lost, however: Some of the clouds might be thin, cirrus clouds, which won’t completely block the eclipse. And even in areas with heavy cloud cover, there could be breaks of sunshine, hopefully at the right times.

Here’s what the three main weather services offices in Upstate New York are saying just over 30 hours before the eclipse starts about 2:08 p.m. Monday. Totality, when the moon completely blocks the sun, arrives about 3:23 p.m. We’ll break it down by region:

Western New York and counties along Lake Ontario: “Confidence remains HIGH that a wealth of cirrus will be over the entire region, though possibly still thin east of Lake Ontario,” the Buffalo weather service office said. “The uncertainty for sky conditions will be the mid level clouds, as to how much alto-cumulus will be in place. By mid afternoon these alto-cumulus clouds will likely be from the Genesee Valley and points westward, with less obscuring alto-cumulus towards the east.”

Clouds are likely to block 75% to 90% of the sky in Western New York, and 60% along the eastern Lake Ontario shore, including Oswego and Watertown.

Finger Lakes, Central New York, Southern Tier: “Across the Finger Lakes Region and points further west, the latest model guidance has a greater potential for those midlevel clouds to start pushing in during the mid to late afternoon hours,” the Binghamton weather service office said. “The timing of this midlevel layer of clouds will be critical for eclipse viewers, as chances for sky obscuration will be greater.”

Air should be drier and thus less cloudy in Central New York to the east of I-81, the weather service said, although not all of that area is in the path of totality.

Clouds are expected to cover 50% to 70% of skies during the eclipse in the middle of the state.

After a sunny day, clouds return to Upstate NY just in time for the solar eclipse (PS; Coin)
The big day has arrived -- and so have the clouds.

The first total solar eclipse over Upstate New York since 1925 happens this afternoon, and heavy cloud cover appears to be almost certain.

Virtually all of New York state is expected to have more than 50% cloud cover at 3 p.m. today, during the eclipse. In Western New York, the odds of clouds is nearly nine in 10. The best bet for some clear skies remains the Adirondacks, although the National Weather Service forecasts have gone from “near-ideal” to 50-50.

The tone of weather service forecasts over the past few days has dropped from cautiously optimistic to crestfallen.

“Just some minor changes to the overall forecast for today, but unfortunately it requires increasing cloud cover a bit more yet,” the weather service office in Binghamton wrote early this morning. “With this being the day of the solar eclipse, the focus of this forecast remains to be heavily weighted towards forecasting clouds.”

If only the eclipse had been Sunday, a brilliantly sunny day, with clear skies and soul-restoring springtime sunshine. But today, a storm system moves in from the Midwest. Ahead of that system is a warm front, which will, at least, give us pleasant temperatures in the 50s and 60s. But it will also deliver the dreaded clouds.

You can watch the cloud cover from the sky through NASA’s satellites, which refresh every five minutes.

We might still be able to see the eclipse through a veil of high, thin cirrus clouds. But if the puffy, denser cumulus arrive early, that will block the view.

Upstate New York isn’t alone: Clouds are likely across much of the eclipse path, which in the U.S. runs from southwestern Texas to northern Maine.

Syracuse University, city prepare for solar eclipse (DO; Luther)
For the first time in nearly 100 years, the city of Syracuse will experience a total solar eclipse Monday afternoon.

The partial eclipse will begin at approximately 2:09 p.m. with the total eclipse lasting nearly one and a half minutes, occurring from 3:23 p.m. to 3:24 p.m. The darkness will gradually lighten over the next hour and conditions will return to normal around 4:34 p.m.

The city and county have been preparing for over three months, said Syracuse Chief of Police Joseph L. Cecile. He said the city will set up a unified command post with representatives from the Syracuse Police Department, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police Department and will be in contact with the Syracuse Fire Department, Department of Public Works and the Department of Parks, Recreation and Youth.

Gov. Kathy Hochul’s Interagency Task Force – which is comprised of over 20 state agents and authorities — has focused on spreading awareness and safety information in preparation for New York as a “prime location” to experience the eclipse, according to a Sunday press release from Hochul. The task force has been working since October 2022 to anticipate public safety challenges, such as traffic management, communications capabilities and public health and safety.

Syracuse University has adjusted transportation and planned several on-campus events for students, faculty and staff in preparation for the eclipse.

“It’s a historical event and we’re hoping that these astronomical events really are a great opportunity for people to see a phenomenon they’re not going to ever see again in their lifetime,” Cecile said. “We’re hoping that folks will do it and think about not only their own safety, but the safety of others.”

Traffic

Traffic is the “biggest concern” for SPD, Cecile said.

Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office predicted about one million people will pass through Onondaga County over the weekend and Monday to get to and from their eclipse destinations, syracuse.com reported.

In a university-wide email, SU’s Department of Public Safety Chief Craig A. Stone urged campus community members to prepare for increased traffic, especially in areas more north toward the middle of the path of totality. Students may need to adjust travel plans if planning to travel before or immediately after the eclipse, Stone wrote.

The majority of people will head to Watertown, Cecile predicted, as it is where the darkness will last the longest.

“We think a lot of folks that are in Syracuse who rented the hotels will jump on the highways and thruway and head out to Watertown to see the eclipse,” Cecile said.

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing my dog can do
It's a total eclipse of the fart