Great shooting covered atrocious execution | Syracusefan.com

Great shooting covered atrocious execution

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I think it was 44-37 us in the first half and then our offense went to sleep until 6 minutes left in the game. It worked out thankfully but our O was fools gold last night. To ease those droughts we need to force it to Lydon inside when he is covered by a small. He also needs to be more of a man in asking for the ball and finishing over the small.

I think it was 44-37 us in the first half and then our offense went to sleep until 6 minutes left in the game. It worked out thankfully but our O was fools gold last night. To ease those droughts we need to force it to Lydon inside when he is covered by a small. He also needs to be more of a man in asking for the ball and finishing over the small.
A ray of sunshine on a cloudy day

Absolutely great, fun game last night!! But, yeah I don't expect Gillon to single handedly drag us to victory against UVA. Hopefully we get something out of Battle and Robey and a bit more out of TT and have a more balanced effort. Love how clutch he has been at the free throw line down the stretch in the last two games. That was one of the big characteristics I was looking for from him when we signed him. Nothing like having a 85% free throw shooter handling the ball when you are trying to hold the lead!!

Absolutely great, fun game last night!! But, yeah I don't expect Gillon to single handedly drag us to victory against UVA. Hopefully we get something out of Battle and Robey and a bit more out of TT and have a more balanced effort. Love how clutch he has been at the free throw line down the stretch in the last two games. That was one of the big characteristics I was looking for from him when we signed him. Nothing like having a 85% free throw shooter handling the ball when you are trying to hold the lead!!
Seems to me he is 100% FT shooter in the clutch when we are holding the ball.

...To ease those droughts we need to force it to Lydon inside when he is covered by a small. He also needs to be more of a man in asking for the ball and finishing over the small.

I don't see that as a magic bullet. Lydon does his better work at the high post, drawing the opposing center away from the basket, finding a little space for his 3 point shot. When he does that, there can be open lanes for White or Battle. How much damage has Lydon ever done inside -- maybe 3 baskets in the paint per game?

For sure, this team can't rely on Gillon and White to carry the load every time out. Battle and Lydon need to lift their games.

Lydon wants the ball. We can't pass it in the post well.

Our offense is not fools gold. We are a 40% three point shooting team 23 games into the season. We are one of the most efficient offensive teams in the ACC. White and Lydon are two of the best shooters we have EVER had here. Gillon and Battle have had their moments. If you don't like shooting, this isn't the team for you.

Our offense is not fools gold. We are a 40% three point shooting team 23 games into the season. We are one of the most efficient offensive teams in the ACC. White and Lydon are two of the best shooters we have EVER had here. Gillon and Battle have had their moments. If you don't like shooting, this isn't the team for you.

It's true. The odd thing is Lydon was wide open a lot inside, or with great post position being guarded by a smaller defender. We ignored him. It was bizarre.

Last edited:

We shot close to 60% from 3 last night - that is out of the norm. If we shoot our usual percentage last night we lose.

Lydon also has avg hands and drops a ton of passes, and he isnt strong enough to always finish off the plays he does get. but at least he doesnt travel most of the time.

It's true. The odd thing is Lydon was wide open a lot inside, or eith great post position being guarded by a smaller defender. We ignored him. It was bizarre.
I do agree, but at the same time, for a guy like Gillon to throw post passes, he needs a wide open lane for the pass. He can't go over a defender with the pass and it's tough to throw a bounce pass at bad angles. If you have Battle or AW throwing those post passes, they should be getting it to Lydon more. But I can't blame Gillon, whose size impacts his passing ability.

If I recall when we had that lead, JB subbed Gillon and think Thompson out for Howard and TRob. The offense took a serious crapper at that point. I really don't think Howard has a clue on what a PG needs to do.

We shot close to 60% from 3 last night - that is out of the norm. If we shoot our usual percentage last night we lose.

It's easy for our team to make threes if they are going to give us 3 feet of cushion at the line. What else should they have done? Force the ball inside where all the NC State players were standing?