Great start benchmarks | Syracusefan.com

Great start benchmarks

GoSU96

Living Legend
This is not intended to throttle enthusiasm at all. Just adding some context, I thought this was interesting.

First two games this year 480, 515 total yds - 995 total; 38 and 31 pts, 69 total. Passing, 354 & 4, 381 & 4 - 735 & 8

Last year first two, much easier pair to start, 677 65pts, 496 48 pts, 1073 113 pts totals. First four 1932 178 pts. Passing 406 & 7, 343 & 1 - 749 & 8. That was Colgate, West Mich, then @ Purdue, Army

Next two this year Stanford and Holy Cross - Average 472 and 55 pts to beat last year’s statistical start.

Two years ago the first four were Louisville, @Uconn, Purdue, UVA - a more comparable schedule 1577 and 132 pts.

The last two years have featured excellent starts on offense, and they do look better than those teams so far, with no gimmicks, just straight up execution, need to sustain and extend that to games 5-12 and it will be a great season

This is not intended to throttle enthusiasm at all. Just adding some context, I thought this was interesting.

First two games this year 480, 515 total yds - 995 total; 38 and 31 pts, 69 total. Passing, 354 & 4, 381 & 4 - 735 & 8

Last year first two, much easier pair to start, 677 65pts, 496 48 pts, 1073 113 pts totals. First four 1932 178 pts. Passing 406 & 7, 343 & 1 - 749 & 8. That was Colgate, West Mich, then @ Purdue, Army

Next two this year Stanford and Holy Cross - Average 472 and 55 pts to beat last year’s statistical start.

Two years ago the first four were Louisville, @Uconn, Purdue, UVA - a more comparable schedule 1577 and 132 pts.

The last two years have featured excellent starts on offense, and they do look better than those teams so far, with no gimmicks, just straight up execution, need to sustain and extend that to games 5-12 and it will be a great season
Unrelated to this but I would say that was the best pass protection I have ever seen at Syracuse. I go back to the early 1970s. Have you ever seen it that good ?

Unrelated to this but I would say that was the best pass protection I have ever seen at Syracuse. I go back to the early 1970s. Have you ever seen it that good ?
Over 84 pass attempts, probably not.

Marrone gave Nassib excellent protection in 2012, but with backs and TE’s helping much of the time. I think it was 13 or 14 sacks allowed in 13 games. A lot of 3 receivers in the pattern.

The time McCord has had on 4 wide and empty has been impressive.

Over 84 pass attempts, probably not.

Marrone gave Nassib excellent protection in 2012, but with backs and TE’s helping much of the time. I think it was 13 or 14 sacks allowed in 13 games. A lot of 3 receivers in the pattern.

The time McCord has had on 4 wide and empty has been impressive.
Flat out dominant ! Let’s hope it continues

Didn’t Flannery get drafted as a center eventually?
Concensus AA as a senior. Drafted in the second round. Ended up playing mostly guard because Bruce Matthews was the starting center. He had knee injuries that derailed his career. I wonder if he played today if he would've had more success with modern sports medicine.

The most encouraging reasons that we can sustain it this year, vs the past few seasons, and similarities to 2012 when we also sustained it:

1. Not asking the QB to take hits as part of the design.
2. A left tackle that's playing well and will only make the QB feel more comfortable in the pocket.
3. Multiple weapons at all skill positions

Exciting times. The defense and specials will improve as we go along. Looks like the interior of the OL could use some improvement as well. They'll either get that by continuing to work together as the first group, or by potential reinforcements when, say, Wohlabaugh is healthy.

The most encouraging reasons that we can sustain it this year, vs the past few seasons, and similarities to 2012 when we also sustained it:

2. A left tackle that's playing well and will only make the QB feel more comfortable in the pocket.

Exciting times. The defense and specials will improve as we go along. Looks like the interior of the OL could use some improvement as well. They'll either get that by continuing to work together as the first group, or by potential reinforcements when, say, Wohlabaugh is healthy.
Good point was there any update on Wohlabaugh's status?

I would add that a pass-heavy system reduces the likelihood of a linemen getting injured. No stats to back that up, but I feel like O-line injuries happen when they're trying to move the pile and backs push into them, or they're asked to pull and smash into a flurry of bodies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom