Great thread on the Louisville board | Syracusefan.com

Great thread on the Louisville board

Earlwolf

Walk On
I was just looking for some sour grapes today of the Louisville Board but I came across this great thread and thought it would be a good read for you guys. I thought this was a great post from unc4life

I have been saying the same thing this VPI poster is saying. And he is spot on!!!

The ACC pretty much owns the Eastern Time Zone in terms of college sports. From Syracuse; which is practically Canada; to Coral Cables; which is practically Cuba; the ACC has a presence in these Eastern Time Zone States:

1. New York State (Population 19.4 Million)
2. Pennsylvania (Population (12.7 Million)
3. Mass. (6.6 Million)
4. Kentucky (4.4 Million)
5. Indiana (6.5 Million)
6. Virginia (8 million)
7. North Carolina (9.7 million. I'd bet that surprises some of you.)
8. South Carolina (4.7 million)
9. Georgia (9.8 Million)
10. Florida (19 Millon)

Total ACC population = 100.8 Million people in the ACC footprint

Let's compare that to the States the Big 12 owns:

1. West Virginia (1 school) - Population 1.9 Million
2. Kansas (2 schools) - Population 2.3 Millon
3. Oklahoma (2 schools) - Population 3.8 Million
4. Iowa (1 school) - Population 3 million
5. Texas (4 schools) - Populaton 25.7 Million

Total Big 12 populaton = 36.7 Million in the Big 12 footprint.

Hell New York City by itself has more people than West Va. or Kansas or Oklahoma or Iowa!!!!

Now if I am an ESPN TV executive; which of these two lineups would I value the most in terms the potential number of viewers? Which of these two line ups would I be more motivated to keep in tact and help grow?

Also what are the population growth rates for the ACC states versus the Big 12 states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_b y_population_growth_rate

The average population growth rate for the whole country is 1.67%. Only one Big 12 state is above that average.

Let's start with the 5 Big 12 states.

1. #2 Texas is growing at 3.31% at year.
2. #23 Oklahoma is growing at 1.67% a year.
3. #30 Kansas is growing at 1.15% a year.
4. #34 Iowa is growing at 0.94% a year.
5. #45 West Virginia is growing at .0.13% a year. (Now who would have guessed that?)

Now let's look at annual population growth in the 10 ACC States. 5 ACC States are above the national average in terms of population growth.

1. #6 Florida is growing at 2.75% a year.
2. #9 Georgia is growing at 2.4% a year.
3. #12 Virginia is growing at 2.31% a year.
4. #13 North Carolina is growing at 2.27% a year.
5. #17 South Carolina is growing at 2.13% a year.
6. #27 Massachusetts is growing at 1.5% a year.
7. #32 New York is growing at 0.99% a year.
8. #33 Kentucky is growing at 0.95% a year.
9. #37 Indiana is growing at 0.83% a year.
10. #41 Pennsylvania is growing at 0.48% a year.

Now if you are thinking for the long term; say the next 20 years; which of these pictures looks better in terms of a growing viewership?

Basically the ACC TV contract is going to get reworked very soon because it is in ESPN's best interests to do so. They have the TV exec's wet dream; the entire Eastern Seaboard under contract with them!!!!!

Why would the TV executive want to see the ACC fracture and split up?

Between the ACC and SEC; ESPN pretty much has what they want in terms of viewership. The potential viewership added by the Big 12 is pretty much noise in comparison. And if the Big 12 went away; no one would miss it.

Also between the ACC and SEC; ESPN has the fastest growing region in the country. Yes my friend the South is going to rise again!!!! People are not moving to West Virginia or Iowa. They are leaving!!!!

The Big 12 is still in desperation mode. The GOR has postponed the inevitable. And I'd argue the GOR has made it harder for the Big 12 to attract quality schools to add. And the Long Horn Network with the revenue Texas refuses to share; would definitely rub quality schools like Clemson and FSU the wrong way.

In the end I can see the SEC, PAC-12, and Big 12 fighting over Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. And I'd see the SEC winning that fight by getting OU and Kansas. Texas is just too much of a pain in the *** to deal with.

After all which conferences have lost the most schools since this whole mess started:

1. Big East - (8) VPI, BC, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers and WVU.
2. Big 12 - (4) Missouri, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska
3. ACC - (1) Maryland
4. SEC - None
5. Big 10 - None
6. PAC 12 - None

So based on this the Big East is now pretty much toast. So which of the remaining Big 5 conferences looks to be in the weakest position? And let's base that on who they have lost and most importantly who they have been able to back fill those losses with.

1. Big 12 loses Missouri, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska and back fills with WVU and TCU. They go from 12 members down to 10 members and lose two power houses in A&M and Nebraska in the process.

2. ACC loses mediocre Maryland and not only back fills; but expands with Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, and ND. (ND still counts because they are playing basketball and everything else as an ACC member.) ACC goes from 12 to 14 full time in football and from 12 to 15 full time in basketball and everything else.

So I'd like for these rocket scientists from West Virginia to explain to me why the ACC is in a weaker position than the Big 12? The ACC people are not the ones in denial here.

Also for those who don't think the ACC has been proactive; how long ago was it that VPI, BC, and Miami were added to the league? Swafford for all of his faults; saw this coming long before anyone else did. And as the VPI poster remarked; those who have under estimated him have paid dearly for it.

Here is the link for the whole thread replace the stars with the 5 letter word you guys hate.

http://mbd.*****.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=11210401

Actually the ACC got rid of a problem child in Maryland, who has always complained about respect, back to the Lefty days, and never produced. They managed to pick up Syracuse , Pittsburgh, Louisville, and a partial in Notre Dame, you get 4 better programs, and lose an average program.

That is a great post and contains all facts so there is no arguing it.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

That is a great post and contains all facts so there is no arguing it.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3
Haha seriously, whenever a poster actually cites their sources then I get impressed. I really believe that when Louisville comes into the ACC, the league is going to be really impressive. No one will confuse it for the SEC but with a playoff on the Horizon, who is to say that a ACC team could get a upset or two? Just look at the NFL, the best team almost never wins.

UL has had 35 Fulbright Scholars in three years and WVU hasn't had a quarter of that. We are the 4th fastest growing school in the US in terms of science grant increases. We've spent 1.2 billion in facilities in ten years and have another 400 million in the next several. Every athletic facility of consequence has been updated in the last several years. All but one are totally new. From new arenas, new baseball stadiums, new practice facilities for men and the women's basketball teams. Our new baseball facility is being enlarged and has had already two NCAA regionals. Our sub-rergional soccer stadium outdrew every other one in the U S this past fall. We not only build state of the art facilities, we actually support them. Our women's team at the half way point last year was outdrawing all but five SEC men's teams. The ACC saw what we are doing here and jumped to get us. Acting like it was just some freak accident is childish at best, but probably just jealously. We support our school and all of our sports and we are not like WVA in any way shape or form. But nice try. I have no hate for WVA and it's fans, mostly just pity at your delusional behavior. Your move will hurt you in the long run. How can anyone recruit a player to spend the winter and fall flying to every little truck stop town in Texas. At the present time you should try to beat somebody in some athletic endevour. You may be in the Big12, but you haven't shown yourselves to actually be part of it.

I was just looking for some sour grapes today of the Louisville Board but I came across this great thread and thought it would be a good read for you guys. I thought this was a great post from unc4life

Here is the link for the whole thread replace the stars with the 5 letter word you guys hate.

I love the notion and it makes logical sense. Could we use the same logic, though, to highlight why espn should have push to preserve the big east when vpi, bc and Miami were there?

Louisville has a great athletics program. I'm glad we'll continue to compete against them.

I love the notion and it makes logical sense. Could we use the same logic, though, to highlight why espn should have push to preserve the big east when vpi, bc and Miami were there?

Isn't the difference that in the Big East raids by the ACC the teams were going to a conference where ESPN owned the rights & there was no real Fox/NBC/CBS competition brewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Information like this is what the ACC knows and isn't used enough. The ACC moved towards the future while the Big 12 was being reactive. The Big 12 lost quality schools, could have added TCU before when they were good but waited and then decided to pick WV over Louisville. That to me sounds like a conference that really does not know what it is doing and the ONLY thing they can do is sling mud like a scummy political campaign. It reminds me those "Friends for America" type of political ads we see when they don't put their name on it and just hide behind hillbilly posts and other misinformation laden "sources" that are spread by their own doing.

checkmate

id like to thank this unc guy for doing all the research to back up all my points for the last year or so.

checkmate

id like to thank this unc guy for doing all the research to back up all my points for the last year or so.

I remember being chastised by many here saying UL was Academic skank...when a few of us started beating the Louisville drum when it was apparent the ACC needed more athletic muscle. You were onboard at the beginning.

I remember being chastised by many here saying UL was Academic skank...when a few of us started beating the Louisville drum when it was apparent the ACC needed more athletic muscle. You were onboard at the beginning.
yep, lville was just flat out dismissed by many.

also why i thought/think rutgers was key.

the old rules are gone in every facet.

its Apollo 13, how do we make a carbon dioxide filter with this??......

how do we live??

Oh Lord

yep, lville was just flat out dismissed by many.

also why i thought/think rutgers was key.

the old rules are gone in every facet.

its Apollo 13, how do we make a carbon dioxide filter with this??......

how do we live??

Oh Lord

LOL...exactly. Any one who was good at Risk as a kid realized Rutgers was important despite their douchebag fans and horrible teams. I preferred UConn over Rutgers from a competitive viewpoint but realized Rutgers was much more valuable geographically.

LOL...exactly. Any one who was good at Risk as a kid realized Rutgers was important despite their douchebag fans and horrible teams. I preferred UConn over Rutgers from a competitive viewpoint but realized Rutgers was much more valuable geographically.

Great, now I'm trying to figure out if Rutgers is Kamchatka, Japan, or Eastern Canada.

WVU is Madagascar but the ACC and B1G own the rest of Africa.

Great, now I'm trying to figure out if Rutgers is Kamchatka, Japan, or Eastern Canada.

To the B1G they'll be North Africa...just a piece of territory to be overrun and raped and pillaged of recruits on the way to Europe or to Brazil.

The ACC is Australia perfect place to attack and defend from, while seeming vulnerable.

The ACC is Australia perfect place to attack and defend from, while seeming vulnerable.

I spent way too much time thinking about this (a few minutes) and have come to the following conclusions:

SEC = Asia
B1G = Europe
Pac ? = North America
ACC = Africa
B12 = South America
MAC = Australia
Big East = Antarctica

I spent way too much time thinking about this (a few minutes) and have come to the following conclusions:

SEC = Asia
B1G = Europe
Pac ? = North America
ACC = Africa
B12 = South America
MAC = Australia
Big East = Antarctica
Now i have a huge urge to play Risk. And based on this board's overreaction skills, I would say Syracuse is the Ukraine...

Now i have a huge urge to play Risk. And based on this board's overreaction skills, I would say Syracuse is the Ukraine...

121711-143.JPG

Cuse = North Africa's team!

Risk was the best board game ever for 10-14 year old boys...then Twister become my new favorite game after puberty.

Risk was the best board game ever for 10-14 year old boys...then Twister become my new favorite game after puberty.

I've reverted back to strategy games in my old age. Can't find many folks to play Risk but Settlers of Catan seems to have filled in nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom