Toga

Living Legend
Exc. QBs. Little / Csonka best ever?
Others?
Who ya got?

Exc. QBs. Little / Csonka best ever?
Others?
Who ya got?
Here's a question. You can have Little and Csonka or Jim Brown by himself. Which do you take?

Here's a question. You can have Little and Csonka or Jim Brown by himself. Which do you take?
I suppose in today's pro offense single back sets you'd go with GOAT. Otherwise I'd rather have two HOFers on the field at the same time.

My reflex is Jim Brown but after thinking about it Little and Larry.

Don’t forget Tom Coughlin in that backfield too!

DAB58B39-638B-4821-A767-70F3B58F2C52.jpeg

My brothers friend, billy Micho, was a senior when Brown was a freshman. I don’t know if they were on field at same time... but if they were ...that’s my favorite backfield. RIP Billy!

How about Jim Nance and Little in 1964?

Senior Nance was 2nd in the NCAA in rushing w/1021 yds - 23 yards behind Wake Forest's James Caan, I mean Brian Piccolo (who had 50 more carries). Big Jim also scored 13 touchdowns and averaged 5.0 yds per carry.

Sophomore All-American Floyd Little rushed for 874 yds averaging 5.6 yds per carry while scoring 10 touchdowns.

They lost to LSU in the Sugar Bowl 13-10 and somehow finished 7-4.

I suppose in today's pro offense single back sets you'd go with GOAT. Otherwise I'd rather have two HOFers on the field at the same time.
My reflex is Jim Brown but after thinking about it Little and Larry.
In the NFL, Csonka and Little combined to outgain Brown by only about 2,000 yards. And that was with Brown retiring young. I thought that was interesting.

How about Jim Nance and Little in 1964?

Senior Nance was 2nd in the NCAA in rushing w/1021 yds - 23 yards behind Wake Forest's James Caan, I mean Brian Piccolo (who had 50 more carries). Big Jim also scored 13 touchdowns and averaged 5.0 yds per carry.

Sophomore All-American Floyd Little rushed for 874 yds averaging 5.6 yds per carry while scoring 10 touchdowns.

They lost to LSU in the Sugar Bowl 13-10 and somehow finished 7-4.
I have to admit, I didn't know much about Nance aside from his name. How was it that Little was an AA that year and not Nance? He was a stud. I also didn't realize he was so big. He was buslike long before Bettis came along.

Anthony Davis and Sam Cunningham were at USC together in 1972.

It pains me to say it, but Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris played together at Penn State from 1969-71. John Cappelletti was a freshman on the 1971 team but played defense initially.

And the Nebraska backfield of 1983 was pretty good too. Mike Rozier at tailback, Turner Gill at quarterback, Irving Fryar at wingback and Mark Schellen at fullback.

I have to admit, I didn't know much about Nance aside from his name. How was it that Little was an AA that year and not Nance? He was a stud. I also didn't realize he was so big. He was buslike long before Bettis came along.
Nance was an AA - in wrestling.

Nance was an AA - in wrestling.
I saw that. I wonder how close he was to AA in football. The trivia when Qadry Ismail was AA in track and football about who our last two sport AA was would have been answered with Nance instead of Jim Brown.

Nance also led the AFL in rushing in '66 and '67. He picked up the SU RB mantel after Brown retired at 29 from the NFL.

Nance also led the AFL in rushing in '66 and '67. He picked up the SU RB mantel after Brown retired at 29 from the NFL.
I saw that too. I wonder how he would be viewed if he had played his entire career in the NFL.

And to think Gore is still playing professional football. And at running back no less. How many punishing hits can a guy take?

Remarkable. Even more remarkable is each of those 4 guys played in the NFL and here are the career rushing #s for top 3:

Portis- 9923 yards, 75 TD
McGahee- 8474 yards, 65 TD
Gore- 14026 yards, 77 TD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors