Greatest Player of All Time - Jim Brown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greatest Player of All Time - Jim Brown

What a great honor!! He has done pretty well for himself best college and pro football player. Got to act with The likes of Burt Reynolds and Charles Bronson , best of all got to make out with Raquel Welch . We should all have such a great life !! Congrats

Jumped out of my chair, that was awesome.
yep, am the only one who upon seeing that immediately thought, humm, dome reno, already hired Dino for big time $, stepping up for the first time I believe, assume the first time ever, to pay competetive OC/DC $.....that hmmm maybe just maybe it's possible to get top 10 good here?

I can't believe the lack of historical knowledge about Brown in a couple of cases here. he didn't win the freaking Heisman because of his skin color, hundreds of southern writers refused to put him on their ballots, and instead they gave it to the "Golden Boy" who barely did a thing and his team went 2-8. he would have won easily if they had even put him in their top 4-5. And, as the article posted on page 1 of the thread says, he revolutionized the position of running back, in both college and the NFL. it's a well deserved honor.

What a great honor!! He has done pretty well for himself best college and pro football player. Got to act with The likes of Burt Reynolds and Charles Bronson , best of all got to make out with Raquel Welch . We should all have such a great life !! Congrats
I mean you're leaving out his best movie, where he got to act with Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger and Richard Dawson...

I mean you're leaving out his best movie, where he got to act with Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger and Richard Dawson...
Did he get to make out with Richard Dawson?

Jim Brown equals GOAT, no matter what era you are talking about. That will always be a big feather in the Syracuse University Cap and I was proud of my Syracuse University alumni status when his name was announced as #1. Go Orange!!!!!

Did I forget to mention he had a love scene with Raquel Welch in her prime.

Attachments

• raquel_welch_leaning_in_red.jpg
    raquel_welch_leaning_in_red.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 179
yeah but why skip them in the announcement

They played a video prior for the top 10 which had Bo and Butkus. Then went live to acknowledge those in attendance. I assume that the video that was played on tv was also played at the game.

I can't believe the lack of historical knowledge about Brown in a couple of cases here. he didn't win the freaking Heisman because of his skin color, hundreds of southern writers refused to put him on their ballots, and instead they gave it to the "Golden Boy" who barely did a thing and his team went 2-8. he would have won easily if they had even put him in their top 4-5. And, as the article posted on page 1 of the thread says, he revolutionized the position of running back, in both college and the NFL. it's a well deserved honor.

My point was simply that they must have considered NFL careers in this vote. Jim was the greatest player to ever play college football but didn't have the greatest college football career.

As to historical knowledge, I posted this in 2004:

The 1956 Heisman Vote

Here are the numbers for the top Heisman candidates of 1956:

Paul Hornung, QB, Notre Dame
Passing- 59/111 (.532) 917 yds 3TDs 13int
Rushing- 94c 420yds (4.5) (don't have TDs in individual categories)
Receiving- 3r 26yds (8.7)
Punt Returns- 4pr 63yds (15.8)
Kickoff Returns- 16kor 496yds (31.0)
Interceptions- 2int 59yds ((29.5)
Punting: 31p 1166yds (37.6)
Scoring: 7td 14xp 0fg 56pts.
Team record: 2-8-0
Heisman votes: 1,066

Comment: This was one platoon football and versatility was prized above all other qualities. Hornung certainly had that. But a QB with 3tds and 13int for a 2-8 team, (basically RJ Anderson numbers), has no business winning the Heisman

Johnny Majors, TB, Tennessee
Rushing- 108c 549yds (5.1)
Passing- 36/59 (.610) 552yds 5TD 3int
Receiving- none
Punt Returns- 10pr 86yds (8.6)
Kickoff Returns- 6kor 135yds (22.5)
Interceptions: none
Punting: 26p 1118yds (43.0)
Scoring: 7tds 0FG/XP 42pts
Team record: 10-0-0
Heisman votes: 994

Comment: His numbers aren't really that much better than Hornung's but his team was certainly better. Tennessee fans who are miffed that their man didn't win it have a point. Note: a Tailback was 50% halfback, 50% quarterback in the single wing.

Tommy McDonald, HB, Oklahoma
Rushing: 119c 853yds (7.2)
Passing: 8/12 (.667) 183yds 3TD 1int
Receiving: 12r 282yds (23.5) 4TD
Punt Returns: 13pr 149yds (11.5)
Kickoff returns: 3kor 95yds (31.7)
Interceptions: 6int 136yds (22.7)
Punting: none
Scoring: 17TD 0FG/XP 102pts
Heisman votes: 973

Comment: the Big Gun, but not the only one for the national champion Sooners, who scored 466 points and rushed for a then national record of 391 yards per game. They also played one winning team all season.

Jerry Tubbs, Oklahoma C/LB
no numbers
Heisman votes: 742

Jim Brown, HB, Syracuse
Rushing: 158c 986yds (6.2)
Passing: 3/4 (.750) 76yds 1TD ?int
Receiving: 5r 56yds (11.2)
Punt Returns: 4pr 15yds (3.8)
Kickoff Returns: 7kor 169yds (24.1)
Interceptions: 3int 72yds (24.0)
Scoring: 14TD 22XP 0FG 106pts
Team record: 7-1-0
Heisman Votes: 561

Comment: Jim would surely have won the award these days, especially considering that other than Jim Ridlon, he was basically a one man team. But we have to remember that in 1956, he started out the year basically as an unknown. Southern voters may have refused to vote for him but why didn't they swing the vote for Johnny Majors? All these guys played both ways. I don't know about the others but Jim had a reputation as a somewhat indifferent defensive player. And he was never known for his blocking. Basically, he got interested when he had the ball in his hands. So did everybody else.

Racism screwed Brown out of the Heisman.
Paul Hornung winning was a joke.
The late Dick Schaap gave up his Heisman ballot forever for Jim Brown being screwed out of the Heisman.

Brown should have gotten it.

Dick resumed voting in 1981, when he voted for Marcus Allen.

My point was simply that they must have considered NFL careers in this vote. Jim was the greatest player to ever play college football but didn't have the greatest college football career.

As to historical knowledge, I posted this in 2004:

The 1956 Heisman Vote

Here are the numbers for the top Heisman candidates of 1956:

Paul Hornung, QB, Notre Dame
Passing- 59/111 (.532) 917 yds 3TDs 13int
Rushing- 94c 420yds (4.5) (don't have TDs in individual categories)
Receiving- 3r 26yds (8.7)
Punt Returns- 4pr 63yds (15.8)
Kickoff Returns- 16kor 496yds (31.0)
Interceptions- 2int 59yds ((29.5)
Punting: 31p 1166yds (37.6)
Scoring: 7td 14xp 0fg 56pts.
Team record: 2-8-0
Heisman votes: 1,066

Comment: This was one platoon football and versatility was prized above all other qualities. Hornung certainly had that. But a QB with 3tds and 13int for a 2-8 team, (basically RJ Anderson numbers), has no business winning the Heisman

Johnny Majors, TB, Tennessee
Rushing- 108c 549yds (5.1)
Passing- 36/59 (.610) 552yds 5TD 3int
Receiving- none
Punt Returns- 10pr 86yds (8.6)
Kickoff Returns- 6kor 135yds (22.5)
Interceptions: none
Punting: 26p 1118yds (43.0)
Scoring: 7tds 0FG/XP 42pts
Heisman votes: 994

Comment: His numbers aren't really that much better than Hornung's but his team was certainly better. Tennessee fans who are miffed that their man didn't win it have a point. Note: a Tailback was 50% halfback, 50% quarterback in the single wing.

Tommy McDonald, HB, Oklahoma
Rushing: 119c 853yds (7.2)
Passing: 8/12 (.667) 183yds 3TD 1int
Receiving: 12r 282yds (23.5) 4TD
Punt Returns: 13pr 149yds (11.5)
Kickoff returns: 3kor 95yds (31.7)
Interceptions: 6int 136yds (22.7)
Scoring: 17TD 0FG/XP 102pts
Heisman votes: 973

Comment: the Big Gun, but not the only one for the national champion Sooners, who scored 466 points and rushed for a then national record of 391 yards per game. They also played one winning team all season.

Jerry Tubbs, Oklahoma C/LB
no numbers
Heisman votes: 742

Jim Brown, HB, Syracuse
Rushing: 158c 986yds (6.2)
Passing: 3/4 (.750) 76yds 1TD ?int
Receiving: 5r 56yds (11.2)
Punt Returns: 4pr 15yds (3.8)
Kickoff Returns: 7kor 169yds (24.1)
Interceptions: 3int 72yds (24.0)
Scoring: 14TD 22XP 0FG 106pts
Team record: 7-1-0
Heisman Votes: 561

Comment: Jim would surely have won the award these days, especially considering that other than Jim Ridlon, he was basically a one man team. But we have to remember that in 1956, he started out the year basically as an unknown. Southern voters may have refused to vote for him but why didn't they swing the vote for Johnny Majors? All these guys played both ways. I don't know about the others but Jim had a reputation as a somewhat indifferent defensive player. And he was never known for his blocking. Basically, he got interested when he had the ball in his hands. So did everybody else.

This narrative is ridiculous about southern voters ... if folks actually followed the regions based on voting Brown only finished in the top 5 in two regions (South and East). The midwest, southwest and far west cost Brown. Hornung lived off the Catholic vote. Majors did finish first in the South however.

This narrative is ridiculous about southern voters ... if folks actually followed the regions based on voting Brown only finished in the top 5 in two regions (South and East). The midwest, southwest and far west cost Brown. Hornung lived off the Catholic vote. Majors did finish first in the South however.

Where is there a vote tally, and a description of what states were part of each region?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom