Spoiler Alert - Greatest TV Series Finales? | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Greatest TV Series Finales?

jekelish

Living Legend
We've talked about greatest TV shows, greatest seasons...but what about the best series finales of all-time?

Believe it or not, my vote doesn't go to The Wire. I won't even give it to Breaking Bad.

Instead, I'm going with Extras, the Ricky Gervais show on BBC/HBO, largely because it featured the following monologue, which is the most accurate description of the current world of entertainment/celebrity I've ever heard or read:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81449531/

I know the sopranos was insanely polarizing, but the final scene build up and tension has never been topped in my opinion. Watching it in realtime, knowing this was the final scene, with the Journey song playing, for my money made that final episode the greatest finale ever.

I liked the cut to black too. I'm surprised there was even a debate over what it meant.

Six Feet Under had a great finale as well.

Heard really good things about The Shield finale and that show is next on my list to watch.

The Shield, but Breaking Bad is a close second for me. Mary Tyler Moore for sitcoms.

The Shield finale was tremendous and gets my vote.

I was disappointed with Breaking Bad's (they set the bar so high with S04). I don't recall the Wire's. Sopranos' likely gets the two spot on my list.

I know the sopranos was insanely polarizing, but the final scene build up and tension has never been topped in my opinion. Watching it in realtime, knowing this was the final scene, with the Journey song playing, for my money made that final episode the greatest finale ever.

I liked the cut to black too. I'm surprised there was even a debate over what it meant.

Six Feet Under had a great finale as well.

Heard really good things about The Shield finale and that show is next on my list to watch.
Must. Watch. TheShield.

Dooooo iiiiittt now Pearrrrllll...

I don't recall the Wire's.

The Wire kind of ended wrapping up the lives of characters (who didn't die). I shed a tear seeing Bubbles have dinner with his sister, finally cleaning himself up.

Slim Charles talking with The Greek. Chris Partlow and Bey with friendly chatter in the jailhouse yard.

Great finale.

Lost. I loved that the writers gave an ending where we got to know that all these awesome characters, that we had grown attached to, ended up alright. And in an atmosphere where anything with religous/spiritual overtones will instantly turn a lot of people off, I thought it was a pretty courageous ending. I mean talk about closure, we got to see the afterlife for them. I think if you watched Lost from the point of view of a series of amazing moments rather than obsessing over the "answers", you probably liked the finale. If you couldn't help sperging about what the smoke monster was, you probably didn't.

The sequences where the characters remember the island still give me goosebumps. The final scene of Jack's eye closing, in reverse of how the series started is a masterpiece. Lost still number 1 in my book.

People gave Damon Lindelof so much about the ending he wrote this and quit Twitter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/damon-lindelof-breaking-bad-finale-639484

Last edited:
Lost. I loved that the writers gave an ending where we got to know that all these awesome characters, that we had grown attached to, ended up alright. And in an atmosphere where anything with religous/spiritual overtones will instantly turn a lot of people off, I thought it was a pretty courageous ending. I mean talk about closure, we got to see the afterlife for them. I think if you watched Lost from the point of view of a series of amazing moments rather than obsessing over the "answers", you probably liked the finale. If you couldn't help sperging about what the smoke monster was, you probably didn't.

The sequences where the characters remember the island still give me goosebumps. The final scene of Jack's eye closing, in reverse of how the series started is a masterpiece. Lost still number 1 in my book.

People gave Damon Lindelof so much about the ending he wrote this and quit Twitter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/damon-lindelof-breaking-bad-finale-639484
Ditto

The Wire kind of ended wrapping up the lives of characters (who didn't die). I shed a tear seeing Bubbles have dinner with his sister, finally cleaning himself up.

Slim Charles talking with The Greek. Chris Partlow and Bey with friendly chatter in the jailhouse yard.

Great finale.
Spoiler alert! Man, I know the show ended years ago but you gotta at LEAST leave the stuff about Bubbles out for people who may check out The Wire for the first time. That's the most satisfying thing in the entire series, after all.

Spoiler alert! Man, I know the show ended years ago but you gotta at LEAST leave the stuff about Bubbles out for people who may check out The Wire for the first time. That's the most satisfying thing in the entire series, after all.

The thread title does say Spoiler Alert but yes, I will keep this in mind in the future. Sorry!

The thread title does say Spoiler Alert but yes, I will keep this in mind in the future. Sorry!
Ha, I know...I had forgotten that I put the "spoiler alert" thing in there. I'm just uber-sensitive about The Wire since it is, obviously, the greatest thing to ever grace the airwaves and I like when people discover it and, after the torment they watch on screen, get to see ONE unequivocally happy ending, for the character who absolutely deserves it the most.