Greeny vs Tirico | Syracusefan.com

Greeny vs Tirico

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Anyone catch Mike and Mike this morning? Greeny has brought this up a few times, he is honorary captain for the Syracuse/Northwestern game. Tirico was on air this morning and talked quickly about entering the ACC, Shafer and the team in Fort Drum. Also, he complimented Marrone on the preseason Buffalo game. They will put a wager in place the week of the game dubbed "The Prose Bowl".

Leading up to the convo Greeny brought up how Northwestern won last year in a crazy game in which all the Syracuse alumni at ESPN still bring up the awful call. Which reminded me how awesome Tirico was after the Syracuse/Michigan Final Four game in which he was not bashful at all about the horrible officiating. Good interview and nice to see some Cuse' press even if it is a gimmicky "Prose Bowl" on Mike and Mike.

I would love to see this series continued, just because it gets extra attention from media members that are alumni from these schools.

The "Prose Bowl" thing isn't a first time thing for Greeny, either. He was talking about the game leading up to it last year, too, and was tweeting about it throughout the game. He genuinely seems to view it as the ultimate showdown for ESPN types.

I wish MT would actually do it more. He didn't use to do it at all, it's nice to see him mention us more now. Greeny and Stuart Scott do it so much.

Can't underestimate the benefit having alums all through the sports media infrastructure for pushing the brand.

Plus it can't help but piss off the Rutgers crew, and that's always a good thing.

I wish MT would actually do it more. He didn't use to do it at all, it's nice to see him mention us more now. Greeny and Stuart Scott do it so much.

Tirico does A LOT for Syracuse whenever he can. He mainly does NBA and Monday Night Football, but he did the Syracuse-Florida basketball game two years ago and the Syracuse-Cincinnati basketball game this past year. He is Orange thru and thru and during my four years at Newhouse he quietly visited the campus numerous times for the students there. Tirico is professional whereas Greenberg and his corporate ESPN hackery behavior turns me off. Off tangent, but the Greenberg, Cowherd, Scott, Berman, Bayliss types are why Fox Sports One can challenge ESPN. The Van Pelt, Buccigross, Tirico, Lee, Harris types are the rare types that the Executives like, but also the viewer likes as well. I can't listen to what Mike Greenberg, Colin Cowherd, Stuart Scott etc. have to say anymore because it is phony and is cookie cutter ESPN.
Back to the point Mike Tirico DOES A LOT for Syracuse he just isn't in the studio anymore and as a result it doesn't seem he is plugging SU as much as you would thinl.

Tirico does A LOT for Syracuse whenever he can. He mainly does NBA and Monday Night Football, but he did the Syracuse-Florida basketball game two years ago and the Syracuse-Cincinnati basketball game this past year. He is Orange thru and thru and during my four years at Newhouse he quietly visited the campus numerous times for the students there. Tirico is professional whereas Greenberg and his corporate ESPN hackery behavior turns me off. Off tangent, but the Greenberg, Cowherd, Scott, Berman, Bayliss types are why Fox Sports One can challenge ESPN. The Van Pelt, Buccigross, Tirico, Lee, Harris types are the rare types that the Executives like, but also the viewer likes as well. I can't listen to what Mike Greenberg, Colin Cowherd, Stuart Scott etc. have to say anymore because it is phony and is cookie cutter ESPN.
Back to the point Mike Tirico DOES A LOT for Syracuse he just isn't in the studio anymore and as a result it doesn't seem he is plugging SU as much as you would thinl.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying he doesn't do things for the university. I'm saying he didn't use to mention SU at all on air unless it was relevant to a broadcast he was working, which I agree was the professional thing to do. He has done it more recently, and when it's done at the right time it's all in good fun. I think the sports broadcasting landscape has changed over the last decade or so where national broadcasters don't have to be as stodgy. I think MT has loosened up a little in the last few years. I like that he's more overtly promoting the university and would like him to do it a bit more.

"We do have a number of different people, whether they are straightforward anchors or analysts, that allows us to be able to zig and zag," Ackerson [FS1 Executive Vice President/Coordinating Studio Producer] says, acknowledging that "we will lean more to the opinion side than we will to the analysis side.

I wish Costas would talk up SU more (at least some). The limiting factor is he doesn't do anything relating to college basketball or he probably would.

By the way, they had Jayson Stark on right after Tirico...I was hoping he would rib Greeny about the Syracuse/Northwestern matchup as well, but alas he just jumped straight to baseball. I'd have never known Stark was a Syracuse guy except for the fact that he tweeted a picture from courtside at one of our basketball games in Atlantic City a couple years ago, which made me Google whether he was an SU grad.

Also, holy crap - did you know that Jayson Stark is 62!? I'd never have guessed that.

I wish Costas would talk up SU more (at least some). The limiting factor is he doesn't do anything relating to college basketball or he probably would.
Yeah, I wish he'd throw a mention in now and then. He could do it when an SU guy is playing on Sunday night football.
By the way, they had Jayson Stark on right after Tirico...I was hoping he would rib Greeny about the Syracuse/Northwestern matchup as well, but alas he just jumped straight to baseball. I'd have never known Stark was a Syracuse guy except for the fact that he tweeted a picture from courtside at one of our basketball games in Atlantic City a couple years ago, which made me Google whether he was an SU grad.

Also, holy crap - did you know that Jayson Stark is 62!? I'd never have guessed that.
I never knew he was an SU guy.