Gross on ACC move | Syracusefan.com

Gross on ACC move

raf4488

Starter

@McMurphyCBSBrett McMurphy

Syracuse AD Daryl Gross said if WVU leaves Big East early "We're open to see what happens" about earlier move to ACC

That is about an empty a comment as I've ever heard.

I'm sure we are. If WVU finds a way to jump early that may open up legal avenues for us to do the same though.

https://twitter.com/#!/McMurphyCBS
brett_new_2009_mug_normal.jpg

Syracuse AD Daryl Gross said if WVU leaves Big East early "We're open to see what happens" about earlier move to ACC

Pack your bags because WVU is leaving no matter what.

WVU is looking to exit, come hell or highwater. But if their exit leaves a wake of lawsuits in their path, I can totally envision SU staying until 2013.

SU is trying to leave on as good of terms as possible with all the teams in the league. I highly doubt they would burn its bridges with teams like GTown, Villanova and SJU.

On the flipside, I get the sense that WVU couldn't give a flying stuff if they ever play another Big East team ever again..

WVU is looking to exit, come hell or highwater. But if their exit leaves a wake of lawsuits in their path, I can totally envision SU staying until 2013.

SU is trying to leave on as good of terms as possible with all the teams in the league. I highly doubt they would burn its bridges with teams like GTown, Villanova and SJU.

On the flipside, I get the sense that WVU couldn't give a flying stuff if they ever play another Big East team ever again..

Why should we care about hurting Georgetown or Villanova's feelings? We're the only game they can sell out. And we don't need St. John's to play at MSG.

Screw 'em all. If they want to hold our feet to the fire, don't play them again for the foreseeable future.

I don't care about ever playing a Big East football team again, in fact, I'd rather not. We're going to have 9 conference games in the ACC, and we'll have an FCS baby seal to club, a MAC team, and a decent non-conference opponent.

I want to leave ASAP...but one extra year in the big east west south isn't going to kill us either. There is something to be said about exiting without a boatload of lawsuits following you out of town.

Anyone else think SU Fb needs one more year to get ready for ACC ?
Hoop and Lax can rock n roll tomorrow.

Get ready for ACC football? The ACC is 2-11 in BCS games. Virginia Tech has more or less dominated that conference since it transferred. The ACC is a big disappointment every year in football. I do believe that eventually Florida State, Miami and Clemson will rise and consistently be very strong again. So it is only a matter of time until the ACC will live up to expectations and gain national respect, but for many years now it has failed. The only reason the media doesn't beat up on the ACC more is because the media beats up on the BE instead. I don't think any BE team would be an automatic bottom feeder if it transferred to the ACC next year.

My only concern: If WVU leaves this year, will we win one game next year?

Get ready for ACC football? The ACC is 2-11 in BCS games. Virginia Tech has more or less dominated that conference since it transferred. The ACC is a big disappointment every year in football. I do believe that eventually Florida State, Miami and Clemson will rise and consistently be very strong again. So it is only a matter of time until the ACC will live up to expectations and gain national respect, but for many years now it has failed. The only reason the media doesn't beat up on the ACC more is because the media beats up on the BE instead. I don't think any BE team would be an automatic bottom feeder if it transferred to the ACC next year.

I know ACC is nothing special, but I'm not sure the 2011 Cuse squad would have winning MAC record. Cupboard is a bit bare.

I would just like to get out asap. I am still concerned that the Big 12 might consider further expansion with UC and/or UofL. Besides the bottom feeder position in FB in the ACC is reserved for Duke.

The good Dr needs to get in touch with the AD from Notre Dame and have him shut Dear John up. If he continues to spout off about 27 months we need to notify all current Big East schools we will never schedule them in basketball again. We don't need them on our schedule but they need us. Don't mind being here next year but not when new teams get here. John needs to be told who he is working for and if they agree with what he's saying then we need to make it clear we play no-one ever again

Spoken like a true follower! Way to take a stance Darryl!

The good Dr needs to get in touch with the AD from Notre Dame and have him shut Dear John up. If he continues to spout off about 27 months we need to notify all current Big East schools we will never schedule them in basketball again. We don't need them on our schedule but they need us. Don't mind being here next year but not when new teams get here. John needs to be told who he is working for and if they agree with what he's saying then we need to make it clear we play no-one ever again

ND can schedule whoever they want in BB.

darryl who??? dudes been a ghost since the bernie thing.

The idea that ND, UConn or Louisville "need" Syracuse for scheduling is patently absurd.

The idea that ND, UConn or Louisville "need" Syracuse for scheduling is patently absurd.
SU surely does help pay the bills for St John's, Villanova and Georgetown, though. Not to mention all of the weaker brethren.

Not sure why some are bashing the quote. Gross is often criticized for saying too much. I'm sure he is collaborating with Pitt on how both schools can move sooner. No sense wasting a bunch of legal $ when WVU is already doing it. See what happens there, if a precedent is set, and run with it. I would also bet the BE presented us with or is about to present us with (based on expansion news) an increased buyout amount to leave sooner. Cash is king. But SU can't overpay. Have to negotiate it.

Don't take every quote at face value. I think he should keep saying we will honor the BE bylaws, until we figure out a way out sooner.

I've got absolutely no problems with the way TGD has handled both the ACC move or the Bernie Fine fiasco. There is no benefit for him to drag this out through the media. I'm sure he is quite busy behind the scenes trying to get us out early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom