Group of Five Playoff? | Syracusefan.com

Group of Five Playoff?

Scooch

Living Legend

The leadership for the Group of Five schools in FBS college football is set to discuss the possibility of implementing a secondary championship to complement the College Football Playoff.

According to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports, Group of Five commissioners will meet next week in Dallas, and one of the main talking points will be the idea of giving G5 teams something of significance to play for outside of the CFP.

I love this idea. We already have a de facto tier 1 (power 4) and tier 2 (group of 5) in FBS. Makes sense to formalize it and cash-in in the process.

There are 61 group of five schools. Create a 16 team playoff and there's 15 games worth of inventory to sell (telecast rights, advertising, sponsorships).

That could also essentially replace 15 mid-tier bowls that seem to be money losers for the schools due to travel and ticket commitments.

Thoughts?

For kicks, here are the top 16+1 group of five schools last season, ranked on RPI.

Tulane
Liberty (+1, would have gone to CFP if 12 team field)
SMU
James Madison
Toledo
UNLV
Troy
Fresno State
Air Force
UTSA
Memphis
Wyoming
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Boise State
Ohio
New Mexico State

I'd watch this tournament. Every game has stakes, unlike those aforementioned mid-tier bowls.

For kicks, here are the top 16+1 group of five schools last season, ranked on RPI.

Tulane
SMU
James Madison
Toledo
UNLV
Troy
Fresno State
Air Force
UTSA
Memphis
Wyoming
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Boise State
Ohio
New Mexico State

I'd watch this tournament. Every game has stakes, unlike those aforementioned mid-tier bowls.
Love this. Would watch this over bowl games i currently skip.

One speculation I heard the other day is that CF Playoff will move to 14-16 teams soon and when they do they will remove the automatic G5 invite.

Tulane
SMU
James Madison
Toledo
UNLV
Troy
Fresno State
Air Force
UTSA
Memphis
Wyoming
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Boise State
Ohio
New Mexico State

Don't you dare call the Avocados From Mexico Cure Bowl meaningless!

One speculation I heard the other day is that CF Playoff will move to 14-16 teams soon and when they do they will remove the automatic G5 invite.
Not a fan of this idea, excluding anybody. G5 should have a place at the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom