GT now looking at B10? | Syracusefan.com

GT now looking at B10?

Changes day to day (hour by hour?) but right now I feel that if something happens it will be only one of RU/UM and some bigger name school.

Personally I don't think the Big Ten is going to take Georgia Tech, although it most definitely would meet the profile of schools it's looking for. Tech is a transient school in a transient city. So many people from Atlanta aren't actually from Atlanta. As such, there's just not a lot of interest in Ga. Tech in the city. I just don't think there is enough leverage to get the kind of money the Big Ten would like to get out of Tech with operators.

The flip side is that they would be a good loss leader to poaching North Carolina and Virginia for 15 and 16. And they'd have a foot in the door for a southern recruiting base.

georgia tech would make fsu look back at b12 along with clemson

Personally I don't think the Big Ten is going to take Georgia Tech, although it most definitely would meet the profile of schools it's looking for. Tech is a transient school in a transient city. So many people from Atlanta aren't actually from Atlanta. As such, there's just not a lot of interest in Ga. Tech in the city. I just don't think there is enough leverage to get the kind of money the Big Ten would like to get out of Tech with operators.

The flip side is that they would be a good loss leader to poaching North Carolina and Virginia for 15 and 16. And they'd have a foot in the door for a southern recruiting base.

If one assumes all things are possible, then to me Maryland to the BiG could very well eventually lead to UNC and UVA to either the BiG or the SEC. If it's the latter than Jim Delany is the loser and Slive is the winner.

On the other hand, if UNC and UVA use the current events to say to the Irish that Maryland leaving will cause ACC instability enough that as a preventive move (prior to the ACC's collapse) them leaving for the BiG as well what will ND's stance be then? If it is to commit to full membership in the ACC then Maryland, UNC, and UVA may all stay put and PSU could then be in play for the ACC. That makes Swofford the winner, Delany the loser, and leaves Slive neutral.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

Cheers,
Neil

Is Syracuse the smelly kid? Seems like every conference we're hanging out in, everyone wants to bolt.

If one assumes all things are possible, then to me Maryland to the BiG could very well eventually lead to UNC and UVA to either the BiG or the SEC. If it's the latter than Jim Delany is the loser and Slive is the winner.

On the other hand, if UNC and UVA use the current events to say to the Irish that Maryland leaving will cause ACC instability enough that as a preventive move (prior to the ACC's collapse) them leaving for the BiG as well what will ND's stance be then? If it is to commit to full membership in the ACC then Maryland, UNC, and UVA may all stay put and PSU could then be in play for the ACC. That makes Swofford the winner, Delany the loser, and leaves Slive neutral.

Cheers,
Neil
The doomsday scenario of UNC/VA leaving seems far fetched given politics. Namely, how does UNC go anywhere without the other NC schools. NC and VA have a lot at stake with conference realignment and both fare better politically if their in state schools stay in the same conference...at least that is what I hope, which is why I hope your third scenario is the highest probability one. I believe MD is one of the unique ACC schools because their fiscal situation is in such disarray. Does this apply to any of the other members (including Clemson and FSU).

id have a hard time seeing north carolina leave duke

The doomsday scenario of UNC/VA leaving seems far fetched given politics. Namely, how does UNC go anywhere without the other NC schools. NC and VA have a lot at stake with conference realignment and both fare better politically if their in state schools stay in the same conference...at least that is what I hope, which is why I hope your third scenario is the highest probability one. I believe MD is one of the unique ACC schools because their fiscal situation is in such disarray. Does this apply to any of the other members (including Clemson and FSU).

It's so hard to judge unless these ADs report it publicly. The ones who have reported having difficulty making it financially are FSU, Maryland, and Wake. BC isn't saying, but it's most likely true with them as well.

Cheers,
Neil

i knew it was possible but likely not. If unc leaves duke and other 2 caralina schools i would be more shocked then any realignment that has gone down

Until yesterday, I had a hard time seeing Maryland leaving UNC, Duke, and UVa. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

Maryland doesn't have another in state school to worry about. Neither does Rutgers. Probably helped play into the selection.

UVA walking away from VT and leaving it in a lesser conference would seem to set off an ugly political fight in Virginia. Same with UNC I would bet. Maryland and Rutgers do not bring such drama with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is Syracuse the smelly kid? Seems like every conference we're hanging out in, everyone wants to bolt.
It seems like every time something goes right for us, something happens to f*** it up - win the NC, get ACC invite, get screwed by VA politics; leave the BE sh!tshow, end up in the infinitely better ACC, and then MD and X, Y, and Z leave. I know if hasn't happened yet, but sheesh. Just as we are turning the corner in FB, this happens. Oh Lord

Maryland doesn't have another in state school to worry about. Neither does Rutgers. Probably helped play into the selection.

UVA walking away from VT and leaving it in a lesser conference would seem to set off an ugly political fight in Virginia. Same with UNC I would bet. Maryland and Rutgers do not bring such drama with them.

Maybe true, but if UNC and UVa choose the BiG, that gives VT and NC State a landing spot in the SEC.

Cheers,
Neil

Cheers,
Neil

I think you're on to something with UNC and Virginia using these events to leverage Notre Dame. Frankly, I think it might be their best play because that's the only way they'll get Notre Dame to join. The ACC would otherwise have no choice of doing that.

The interesting thing about Penn State rumors is simply that Penn State was most active within the Big Ten of pushing for Maryland and Rutgers. So I doubt that Penn State leaves now that it appears it got what it wanted. I think that's another reason Delany acted when he did. Notre Dame actually had been trying to recruit Penn State from my understanding, so I think Delany decided now was the time to stop that before it got any further.

Notre Dame needs to be making friends with Florida State and Clemson, though. If the Big 12 decides to go after them, they might be the key to keeping the ACC intact. If they leave, it will be a bloodbath scramble.

It seems like every time something goes right for us, something happens to f*** it up - win the NC, get ACC invite, get screwed by VA politics; leave the BE sh!tshow, end up in the infinitely better ACC, and then MD and X, Y, and Z leave. I know if hasn't happened yet, but sheesh. Just as we are turning the corner in FB, this happens. Oh Lord

Agreed. Hate that it always seems to be this way. :confused:

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about "married" schools. They don't need to be in the same conference to be safe.

This whole thing is exactly why I didn't want ND as a partial (a lot of people here seemed thrilled with that). No way they bail us out and become full members. Same s***t that happened in the Big East all over again. And now they're #1 in the country.

I think you're on to something with UNC and Virginia using these events to leverage Notre Dame. Frankly, I think it might be their best play because that's the only way they'll get Notre Dame to join. The ACC would otherwise have no choice of doing that.

The interesting thing about Penn State rumors is simply that Penn State was most active within the Big Ten of pushing for Maryland and Rutgers. So I doubt that Penn State leaves now that it appears it got what it wanted. I think that's another reason Delany acted when he did. Notre Dame actually had been trying to recruit Penn State from my understanding, so I think Delany decided now was the time to stop that before it got any further.

Notre Dame needs to be making friends with Florida State and Clemson, though. If the Big 12 decides to go after them, they might be the key to keeping the ACC intact. If they leave, it will be a bloodbath scramble.

Does look like the vote tomorrow will go the right way for the BiG, Loh and Anderson. It will be interesting to see if enough support against the move can be marshalled between the time of that vote and the actual move.

As for the doomsday scenario (the bloodbath scramble you mention), it is back in play, at least a small percentage possibility.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom