GT thoughts, big momentum shift | Syracusefan.com

GT thoughts, big momentum shift

Rocco

Watching you.
If we can beat GT and be at 4-3 headed into our final bye week, we'd have a real chance at 5-3 against WF. Then a beatable Maryland/Edsall team on the road and we could be bowling before we even play FSU, BC and Pitt. Lots of momentum swings over the next month. Let's hope it's stays positive.

As for the GT game, really looking forward to seeing how our D fares against this different triple option look. Hoping Davis can play because he is a key element in this gameplan. Our athleticism at LB and DB is huge. Our DE's need to keep contain and rely on the DTs to jam and blow up the A-gaps. The LBs shoot the other gaps and have outside responsibility if they push out. Worried about our safeties biting on playaction. Reddish and Whigs will be our jam corners, with Anderson rotating in because of his strengths against the run. I think Darius Kelly will be a key contributor in this one.

4-3 defense.

4-3 Syracuse Football.

Two questions:

When was the last time Syracuse faced that type of option offense.

When was the last time HCSS faced that type of offense and what was the result?

Just curious...

When was the last time Syracuse faced that type of option offense.

A true triple option attack? Hmmm... 1996 in the Dome vs. Army when McNabb got a 15 yard penalty for saluting the cadets?

I swear if we get torched through the air against GT i'm just gonna give up :p. im not even sure they pass the ball. I am completely confident in our ability to win the battle against their triple option. Unless the triple option involves a new wrinkle that includes a WR screen. then we're screwed.

Vlad Lee is really struggling. Paul Johnson tried to add a few wrinkles into the option and everyone seems to be struggling with it. They have deviated a bit , but it's still a ton of option. A bunch of 1 and 2 WR pass patterns, which you would think plays into our hand. I have noticed we do a lot of stunts on our DL. I would assume we won't be doing that Saturday? Also Welsh has to make sure he plays his assignment. He has a tendency to crash down the line, and lose containment. I am sure Bullough will have a good game plan. I think our biggest concern will be on offense.

Against GT, it's all about discipline. Stick to your assignments, or we will be saying...

I am concerned about this defense against the GT rushing attack.

This defense is all about getting upfield to the QB and we haven't shown the best lane discipline when rushing the passer. I do think GT is kind of living off their reputation, but I do think there will be a lot more offense in this game then people think just b/c I don't know if either team can stop the other enough.

Im worried about our D-line. I've been told our front 7 is the strength, but our D line really has to play their roles and beat blocks. This is going to be a short game, because I don't anticipate many passes - just a running clock. This means our offense really will have to get points with each drive.

With the NC State win - each subsequent game becomes the most important of the season. The front end of our schedule had better teams in PSU, NW and Clemson, but the back end of the schedule doesn't have any "easy" games.

Im worried about our D-line. I've been told our front 7 is the strength, but our D line really has to play their roles and beat blocks. This is going to be a short game, because I don't anticipate many passes - just a running clock. This means our offense really will have to get points with each drive.

With the NC State win - each subsequent game becomes the most important of the season. The front end of our schedule had better teams in PSU, NW and Clemson, but the back end of the schedule doesn't have any "easy" games.

They've been doing that. And the LB's have been filling very nicely. I think we hold them to 14-17 pts.

We need to stick to our assignments and have trust that your teammate will make the play. Not everyone can think they have to make the play.

If we can stay disciplined and not jump too early on the outside, we have a chance.

If not, our offense better be scoring 35+.

this board is super bipolar. Two losses to start the season, Allen is a bum, we stink. Two wood shed beatings against below mediocre non bcs teams, Hunt is the next McNabb?? Beating by Clemson, Hunt is not the answer. A brutal game to watch, but gutsy hard nosed win against an awful NCState team, and now we're back to winning out save for Fl State lol

GT's back is against the wall...their confidence is down...SU has to continue that misery and get them to doubt themselves. This is a big game to get ahead and make sure they don't get any confidence or flow.

this board is super bipolar. Two losses to start the season, Allen is a bum, we stink. Two wood shed beatings against below mediocre non bcs teams, Hunt is the next McNabb?? Beating by Clemson, Hunt is not the answer. A brutal game to watch, but gutsy hard nosed win against an awful NCState team, and now we're back to winning out save for Fl State lol
Welcome to fandom.

Since when is GT a passing team? They throw less than 20 times per game.

SU used to throw 20 times a game and score a heck of a lot of points. Our LB's playing smart getting the right reads along with the corners playing one on one are going to be huge here. My guess is that the SU safetys are going to be biting on every play fake because of the frequency of runs that GT does.

Two things I worry about, play fakes and long passes and containing the qb. If the SU LB's can do a good job and contain the qb/rb's...we will be sitting pretty. Identify who has the ball.

SU used to throw 20 times a game and score a heck of a lot of points. Our LB's playing smart getting the right reads along with the corners playing one on one are going to be huge here. My guess is that the SU safetys are going to be biting on every play fake because of the frequency of runs that GT does.

Two things I worry about, play fakes and long passes and containing the qb. If the SU LB's can do a good job and contain the qb/rb's...we will be sitting pretty. Identify who has the ball.
This isn't McNabb's SU team or Clemson's current team. There is no Marvin Harrison's or Sammy Watkins on GT but I get your point. Discipline is key...see Humphies (#13) running behind our safeties in the Clemson game. Eskridge needs to have another big game.

Interesting point that HCSS made in his Monday morning interview with Matt Park: They have set aside a portion of practice every day since spring dedicated to defending GT. Hopefully all the planning pays dividends on Saturday.

Btw, I misread his post that's why I deleted mine.

This isn't McNabb's SU team or Clemson's current team. There is no Marvin Harrison's or Sammy Watkins on GT but I get your point. Discipline is key...see Humphies (#13) running behind our safeties in the Clemson game. Eskridge needs to have another big game.

Interesting point that HCSS made in his Monday morning interview with Matt Park: They have set aside a portion of practice every day since spring dedicated to defending GT. Hopefully all the planning pays dividends on Saturday.

Btw, I misread his post that's why I deleted mine.

Too bad they didn't think to try to do that with Clemsons offense, they seemed surprised when the Tigers threw the ball. ;)

That's one thing that getting ready for your next opponent does to your offense or defense, sometimes you see some things that work in practice and implement those things into your teams schemes.

Too bad they didn't think to try to do that with Clemsons offense, they seemed surprised when the Tigers threw the ball. ;)

That's one thing that getting ready for your next opponent does to your offense or defense, sometimes you see some things that work in practice and implement those things into your teams schemes.
I'm not so sure they were surprised but the safeties really blew a few coverages. It wasn't like players were beaten one-on-one...just completely blown coverages.

Like you, I'm worried about a similar fate this week if the safeties don't play disciplined. I'm very happy that Kelly is getting significantly more PT.

Kelly is an excellent athlete and if he can figure out this GT attack and help the D the more the better. I see a lot of potential with this Defensive Backfield on this team and moving Morgan to the corner may be quite helpful as well.

Some on this board.

Two touchdown win on the road as a 7-point underdog and people are wondering about a QB change.

What shouldn't we easily beat this team? Am I missing something here?
Ask Duke, North Carolina, or hell USC from last year. If it was as easy as it sounds, talent would always win out and you'd find anyone hardpressed to say GT has more talent than NC and USC.

These guys played Miami tough through 3 quarters this year before Miami blew it open in the 4th.. Miami is a top 10 team... don't sleep on GT.

Last edited: