Guarding the inbounder | Syracusefan.com

Guarding the inbounder

Eric15

Living Legend
On late-game full court plays with a few seconds left, I'm a huge advocate of guarding the inbounder. I would have put Bourama's massive wingspan on the inbounder and just told him to do jumping jacks. I feel like that makes an accurate entry pass extremely difficult, and its almost a favor to the offense to let them make an unguarded pass. Curious what others think.

I'm thrilled we won, but that shot was probably a couple centimeters from being the biggest sports story of the day.

Last edited:
100% agree, in a situation where there’s not enough time to do anything but throw long.

If there’s a few more seconds I can see having another defender back to help prevent a guard from easily dribbling coast to coast or something.

I was surprised we had nobody on the inbounder. Tough to throw long when someone is jumping up and down in your face.

On late-game full court plays with a few seconds left, I'm a huge advocate of guarding the inbounder. I would have put Bourama's massive wingspan on the inbounder and just told him to do jumping jacks. I feel like that makes an accurate entry pass extremely difficult, and its almost a favor to the offense to let them make an unguarded pass. Curious what others think.

I'm thrilled we won, but that shot was probably a couple centimeters from being the biggest sports story of the day.
Agree. The only thing that scares me is the big guy reaching over and getting a tech. But that is what coaching should prevent.

200% Agree. Put the longest, most athletic guy on the inbounder - Braswell.

Kidding, but it reminded me of Jerami Grant guarding the inbounds passes.

that factors into my decision. no timeouts i fall back and defend. 1 timeout left i pressure.

Agree. The only thing that scares me is the big guy reaching over and getting a tech. But that is what coaching should prevent.

Wouldn’t be a technical. Delay of game and warning as we saw called on Georgetown earlier in the game when their guy slapped it out of OBs hands when he was trying to inbound.

Wouldn’t be a technical. Delay of game and warning as we saw called on Georgetown earlier in the game when their guy slapped it out of OBs hands when he was trying to inbound.
I don't believe that is correct. That was always a tech when I was young. I don't know any reason they would have changed that rule.

another thing from the last G'town shot. Carey runs in front of shooter with no hand up. Dude got a clean look.

Yea, didn't like that. He does one of those ducking under/into the player half arsed to try to throw them off when he could have just put his hands straight up.

Don’t like this strategy at all. These guys receive the pass undeterred with momentum going forward always it seems before these launches. Many have been SO close. I hate it.

I really thought that was going in while it was in the air. Wow, that would’ve been awful.

Same.

My reaction was:

"What a goofy, stupid awful double-pump...hahaha...oh, ******** that kinda looks like it has the right trajectory...holy **********, it's gonna......nope, WE WIN!!!!!"

I want to see a mutiny situation next time. I want to see Brissett guarding the inbounder with his hands raised and jumping. Ignore the bench. Let it play out.

You want players not following coaching instructions on purpose?
According to half the board who believe JB wants to play with tempo or that there is an offensive system and the players are just ignoring him already believe that.

To risky imo. Playing zone press id guard the inbounder but playing man to man press in the final 3 seconds you'd be just asking for a player to sneak past our entire defense and get an easy layup.

I just can't think of a reason NOT to guard the inbounder. None. Not a single reason that would offset what you gain from not allowing those unobstructed passes to guys with momentum moving upcourt.
The "dummy pick".

I just can't think of a reason NOT to guard the inbounder. None. Not a single reason that would offset what you gain from not allowing those unobstructed passes to guys with momentum moving upcourt.

I think the ability to run baseline, since we had just scored, had to be why we didn’t. That makes guarding the inbounder far less valuable. Also sets up the chance for them to put a player in the way of our defender who chases the inbounder, trying to draw a foul as our guy runs into him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom