Guards need to rebound | Syracusefan.com

Guards need to rebound

Cuseball

Starter
I think Autry needs to emphasize his guards hitting the boards as opposed to leaking out looking for breaks. They never put a body on anyone and either stand ball watching after the shot or leak up court. In 70 minutes against Louisville starling and Mintz combined for 2 rebounds. Starling actually had zero in 40 minutes . For someone his size that is completely unacceptable.

Cuse!

I think Autry needs to emphasize his guards hitting the boards as opposed to leaking out looking for breaks. They never put a body on anyone and either stand ball watching after the shot or leak up court. In 70 minutes against Louisville starling and Mintz combined for 2 rebounds. Starling actually had zero in 40 minutes . For someone his size that is completely unacceptable.

Cuse!
Starling playing 40 mins is a bigger concern than anything else in that post. That is crazy.

Starling playing 40 mins is a bigger concern than anything else in that post. That is crazy.
I agree that he should absolutely not be playing that many minutes. His minutes have been a little strange all year

Just a bonkers take. Our guards need to score and close out on shooters. Our best offense is our transition game and guys leaking out is key to that. Sure it'd be nice if they chipped in on the glass with our frontcourt being so thin but let's be real here.

It might be as simple as Red rewarding Starling for doing what is asked. It may be an example more than anything. We will see if it continues

We didn't do much tonight.. But then again if you go back and look many of the shots were so bad even the guys in the good spots couldn't get them.

I wish we would attack the glass on offense more, thats a much easier thing for a bad rebounding team to get done.

If you watch Red on the sideline, he pops a blood vessel every time we give up an offensive rebound.

Cuse!
Especially when all of the leaking out hardly ever benefits us. We over and over screw up 3 on 1's and 2 on 1's!!!

Cuse!
This seems an odd comment to me, because I can't remember an SU team that had so many rebounds by guards: Cope, Taylor, JJ, and Mintz are our 2nd-5th rebounders (minus Benny).

the guards get enough. You will only get so many of those.
Taylor/Carey played 30 min and got 1.

But also you cant ignore that sometimes the guards hustle to tip balls that end up to someone else.

Copeland usually gets more than 2 in 30 min as well.

additionally the rebounds were somewhat skewed because we missed so many FTs.

They actually had been doing a good job of this up until recently. Beginning of ACC play Starling and Mintz were chipping in on the glass big time.

It’s even more imperative now with Benny out of the fold.

This seems an odd comment to me, because I can't remember an SU team that had so many rebounds by guards: Cope, Taylor, JJ, and Mintz are our 2nd-5th rebounders (minus Benny).
Taylor never plays guard and cope is mostly SF. JJ is 6’4 and should be a mismatch. Playing 40 minutes with zero rebounds is a problem at that size or any size

I'd be happy seeing any of our guys that are just staring at the ball actually get their body on an opposing player that is just diving to the rim for an easy putback.

the guards get enough. You will only get so many of those.
Taylor/Carey played 30 min and got 1.

But also you cant ignore that sometimes the guards hustle to tip balls that end up to someone else.

Copeland usually gets more than 2 in 30 min as well.

additionally the rebounds were somewhat skewed because we missed so many FTs.
Excellent point about the missed FT's. We aren't a program dedicated to being good on the glass. It's a holdover from the JB era.

Cuse!
OK, but in 54 combined minutes, Taylor and Cope...guys who average a total of 9.5 boards per game...combined for 3 rebounds. Or 6 boards less than their average. While true that it wouldn't have closed the gap a lot, on nights where we are getting pummeled on the glass, those two have to at least hit their average if not better.

If you had been offered the over/under pre-game of Bell...not a renowned rebounder...having twice as many boards as Taylor, Q, Carey, and JJ PUT TOGETHER, I'm guessing 100% of fans would have lost that bet.

Easy to beat up on JJ and Mintz for rebounding, and you are right about them needing to do more going forward, but there was nobody else on the team crashing the boards except for Malik and Chris.

Last edited:
Too much standing around watching after a shot on both ends . Follow the damn ball . And don’t shoot a 3 with nobody under the basket unless time running out.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. It's completely unrealistic to expect a high-major team with one regular bigger than 6'7"/215 to be even decent at rebounding.

on the topic of rebounding...
does Peter Carey know how? Like, has he demonstrated he can: put his arms up, jump, and come down with possession of a basketball?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom