Guerrier and Other Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guerrier and Other Thoughts

He had one of the worst seasons shooting in the history of college basketball as a freshman.

OB was never getting drafted. He isnt a good basketball player at all. Im glad I don't have to watch him play basketball anymore.

He struggled as a sophomore, but if you think he didn’t have a good freshman year, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Outside of perhaps Hughes at SF, we have no one on this year’s team at PF who can match what he did his two years here.

He struggled as a sophomore, but if you think he didn’t have a good freshman year, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Outside of perhaps Hughes at SF, we have no one on this year’s team at PF who can match what he did his two years here.

He shot in the mid 30s from inside the arc his freshman year. How many other players in our history shot that poorly at such volume has done that in the history of the program? But he was good? Give me a break.

This Brissett hate is a little shocking, to be completely honest. He was an elite rebounder -- and probably was the only legit good rebounder the team had the last two years.

I pulled his offensive numbers from Synergy for last year and he was in the 67th percentile for ISOs, then 87th/70th for P&R ball handler/roll man. The only thing he wasn't great at that he had in volume was shots as a spot-up shooter, which we knew he needed to improve at. You can say he was bad offensively all you want, but that's just not reality.

This Brissett hate is a little shocking, to be completely honest. He was an elite rebounder -- and probably was the only legit good rebounder the team had the last two years.

I pulled his offensive numbers from Synergy for last year and he was in the 67th percentile for ISOs, then 87th/70th for P&R ball handler/roll man. The only thing he wasn't great at that he had in volume was shots as a spot-up shooter, which we knew he needed to improve at. You can say he was bad offensively all you want, but that's just not reality.

He wasnt good at layups or passing the ball either. So couldn't shoot, couldnt hit a layup and couldnt pass the ball. How is it shocking that someone doesn't like his game?

He wasnt good at layups or passing the ball either. So couldn't shoot, couldnt hit a layup and couldnt pass the ball. How is it shocking that someone doesn't like his game?

OK, several things to unpack here so hang in there. Yes, he struggled from the perimeter and in the paint. We saw that and the stats back it up. However, Synergy lists him as average or above in every category that isn't a spot-up or post-up. You aren't giving him credit for the things he was good at, like ISOs and P&R actions despite the fact that those two things make up almost 30 percent of his total possessions. The two things he wasn't good at make up about 35 percent of his possessions, which is kinda high, but not abnormal by any means.

As for passing, I checked his pass-out possessions and he was average/good in the two categories he qualified for (passing as the P&R BH or from post-ups).

I get his sophomore season was a drop-off from his freshman year, but boiling it down to being bad at shooting (kinda) and passing (not correct) leaves out a lot of his game and that seems kinda unfair.

He had one of the worst seasons shooting in the history of college basketball as a freshman.

OB was never getting drafted. He isnt a good basketball player at all. Im glad I don't have to watch him play basketball anymore.

yet somehow he made the raptors 15 man roster by getting one of the 2 two way contracts allowed for each nba team.

yet somehow he made the raptors 15 man roster by getting one of the 2 two way contracts allowed for each nba team.

Good for him, he still isnt good.

Guerrier seems to think he’s a three point shooter. Maybe he should stop thinking that.

that sounds familiar, kind of like our other Canadian who abandoned the glass last year and read too many press clippings

i always thought you knew more than nba gms and coaches.

Who would you rather have, Lydon or Brissett? There is nothing Brissett does better than Lydon so yeah, maybe in this case I'd be smarter than the GM.

He shot in the mid 30s from inside the arc his freshman year. How many other players in our history shot that poorly at such volume has done that in the history of the program? But he was good? Give me a break.

Again, he regressed as a sophomore. But he averaged 15 points and nine rebounds as a freshman. I’m not sure who you think will come close to matching that this year, maybe even next year.

Again, he regressed as a sophomore. But he averaged 15 points and nine rebounds as a freshman. I’m not sure who you think will come close to matching that this year, maybe even next year.

Using counting stats isn't going to tell me anything about his game.

Using counting stats isn't going to tell me anything about his game.

He had a solid freshman year. I’m not terribly concerned whether you believe it.

OB shot 35% from the floor as a frosh which is historically bad for our program. 37% from two.

That said it seems he has improved enough to potentially be a viable an NBA player. Both things can be true.

Guerrier seems to think he’s a three point shooter. Maybe he should stop thinking that.

Xactly! He managed to get off 3 threes in just 13 minutes of court time, against only 1 from within the arc. At that pace he was headed for double digits. And while he was manning the 3 point arc we were accumulating approximately NO offensive boards.

Last edited:
Back in the good ole days a kid like that had four years to get his game together and not audition for the NBA in year two.

A rude wakeup call opening night might be in order. Now he might use his size and athleticism in the non conference games to score inside. All he has to do is look at his competition for minutes in the front court and see they are all razor thin. It was UVA and an game where you can understand why he didn't play like that and just jacked threes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom