Ha...stories now saying Marrone not confirmed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ha...stories now saying Marrone not confirmed...

I heard the deal is pretty well worked out but Marrone is holding out for 5 lbs of Boars Head Bolgna/week while the Bills are offering 2 Lbs/week or Oscar Meyer. Not sure if this is true, especially since I made it up, but is on the internet!
He should try Wardynski meats from Buffalo. They're excellent.
Wardynski

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana
Filed a story to the D&C indicating Marrone remains the frontrunner, but nothing confirmed. Long day. Hopefully, confirmation comes Monday.
Retweeted by Brent Axe
Link to Sal's story...

Until some of the people at ESPN, whose standards appear to have falled to tabloid levels these days, Sal is a real journalist who covers the Bills and has legitimate contacts.

I think DM is so unhappy at Syracuse a last minute effort to retain him would be almost impossible to pull off, so I do not have any real hope something might happen. I doubt SU is even tried to make an effort to counter after he got the Bills offer. This is probably just some hard nosed negotiating by his agent Jimmy Sexton.

But it is true, this is not a done deal quite yet.

even if this deal falls through there are about 4 other teams lined up ready to pounce and grab him, so

This charade is what sucks abt sports nowadays. Turns good men into liars, puts good fans thru hell..and turns "worldwide leaders" into the national inquirer. Me thinks SU has the right to rip cord now and save face, waiting for the Bills to offer up the lowest dollar contract in the NFL has gotten real old real quick.

Can someone tell me why we even care at this point...Doug has through his interviewing and moving process forward that he really does not want to be at 'Cuse...get the freakin divorce already and move on...precious time is being lost to find a coach, keep recruits happy, and to NOT make 'Cuse a laughing stock...c'mon really, really, we are discussing this...he should be out on his ass!

I agree that it's about the buyout and SU has to have him leave and not fire him...and use that buyout cash to upgrade the facilities.

Would there even be a buyout involved with DM? He fulfilled his contracted obligation with the University with this season. As far as most of us here understand, Doug wasn't given an extension.

So why couldn't the university just cut bait with DM and publicly start the search? The situation has become so toxic that I don't think either side would look to reconcile, even if the opportunity presented itself.

SU can't announce that Marrone is no longer head coach of football at Syracuse University? Is that so they can recoup the buy-out clause? Is there a buy-out clause in his contract?

No. Doug has not officially resigned, nor has he been terminated. Welcome to the land of limbo.

Excerpt from ESPN.Com article as of this morning:

"Marrone will replace Chan Gailey, who was fired after going 16-32 in three seasons leading the Bills. Marrone agreed to a four-year contract but has yet to sign the deal, a league sources told ESPN."

Would there even be a buyout involved with DM? He fulfilled his contracted obligation with the University with this season. As far as most of us here understand, Doug wasn't given an extension.
I believe that he had a 5-year contract.

So why couldn't the university just cut bait with DM and publicly start the search? The situation has become so toxic that I don't think either side would look to reconcile, even if the opportunity presented itself.

Actually that may be true...hell I have no clue with all this double secret probation stuff SU does so if the contract wasn't signed I don't know what the hold up would be...unless SU wants to go Shafer and he won't take it until Doug is signed sealed and delivered w/the Bills?

Heck, this limbo stuff does have to be done soon because it's bad enough regarding the timing but if this drags it just makes it that much worse and the collateral damage is going to be worse the longer it goes on.

Link to Sal's story...

Until some of the people at ESPN, whose standards appear to have falled to tabloid levels these days, Sal is a real journalist who covers the Bills and has legitimate contacts.

I think DM is so unhappy at Syracuse a last minute effort to retain him would be almost impossible to pull off, so I do not have any real hope something might happen. I doubt SU is even tried to make an effort to counter after he got the Bills offer. This is probably just some hard nosed negotiating by his agent Jimmy Sexton.

But it is true, this is not a done deal quite yet.

"So unhappy..."

Man, how did it get to this?

I believe that he had a 5-year contract.
I think it is 5 years...(if he didn't sign an extension) I bet the buyout is fairly low...like under $500k..but it would help pay off the Melo Center (irony).

F' im carry on w/ the interviews for his replacement.
I don't think it is an issue for SU to contact candidates for phone interviews at this point...Just to guage interest.

"So unhappy..."

Gawd, DM has become such a pu$$y in my eyes over the past week. He was "so unhappy". Oh woe is me. They can't build a practice facility for another 3 years. The fans are mean to me. Cry me a friggin river.

I've lost so much respect for this dude over the way this was handled.

"So unhappy..."

I can't really remember any reports about a college coach wanting to leave some place because they were unhappy. There's the business side - better opportunities etc, but never so publicly being unhappy. Has to be a tough sell when the previous occupant (a former proud alum ) was unhappy

I think there is more than one year remaining.
Dave, how nasty did it get for DM? Is this "unhappy" business just a copout? I mean, there isn't a coach in the country that doesn't get his fair share of hatemail...

This is a pure guess, but I think it is heightened when it comes from your adopted hometown and extends to your wife and kids.

This is a pure guess, but I think it is heightened when it comes from your adopted hometown and extends to your wife and kids.

Dave, I understand that and it's terrible.

However, this isn't exactly Tom Coughlin returning home. DM was another nameless, faceless NFL guy who played here long, long ago. Not sure how he would think the community at large understood the risk he was taking (or why should they care, times have been challenging for people with regular jobs)

F' im carry on w/ contacting ' candidates for phone interviews at this point...Just to guage interest'.

I would be pretty disappointed in both Doug and the fans if this were true. There are crazy people in every town in every fan base (including Buffalo). I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to protect his family, but this is the profession he's chosen. The "fans" who went out of their way to make him unhappy need to crawl into a hole somewhere.

Seriously, what are the documented cases of this alleged "verbal abuse" to his family. This board is as dialed in as it gets and I dont think I have seen any reports of this pre-saga. In any event, if he is going to let the actions of a few knuckleheads get to him then he aint cut out for the NFL. What his wife and kids are in the mall or about town and someone said something? If it affected his wife that much she is going to HATE Buffalo. I believe you have to assume some of this happens when you are a high profile coach. Not sayin its right, but whatever.

Im over Doug - Good luck winning over Bills Fans oh and have fun coaching home games in Canada. I'm done with you Fredo Marrone.

PS: It shouldnt be hard to root out the clowns that apparently wronged him since based on ticket sales there are only about 30,000 SU Football Fans in Upstate New York :)

if true, terrible terrible. That said I can't believe Grob with his lack of results found just the opposite when he lived here, wanted to stay, his wife loved it, his kid still loves it or so I hear. And someone (whomever these "someone" nut jobs would be), someone includes DM's wife and kids in their tirades of some type? And those crazed unbalanced someones doesn't do same to GRob. Don't get it.

Again hope it didn't happen, if so, again terrible and ridiculous but that said all of this screams of a naivete on his part if he thinks its going to be any different anywhere else and if it was a big reason for him to want to leave. In this day and age it what happens now unfortunately and I'd have to believe it's only going to be worse in other places. As usual, thanks for chiming in Dave and your contributions but logically speaking I'm not certain this is a correct take on this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom