Hackett > Shafer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hackett > Shafer

Shafer's defense just held a very explosive offense with a whole helluva lot of talent plus a future NFL starter to under 30 points.

Let's see how Hackett does without Nassib, Pugh, Sales, and Lemon a year from now before we crown him anything.

Offense will definitley take a step back in the passing game. But it will steadily improve IMO. Did you make the same post when the D hasd Smith and Hogue and Shafer was seen as a savior?

Offense will definitley take a step back in the passing game. But it will steadily improve IMO. Did you make the same post when the D hasd Smith and Hogue and Shafer was seen as a savior?

You act like Smith and Hogue are legends. They were good players, but Nassib and Pugh will have more success in the NFL careers than Hogue, and one or both of Sales and/or Lemon will undoubtedly contribute more to an NFL team than Smith ever did, even if one of them only spends half a season on a practice squad.

In other words, Hackett has had better toys than Shafer has had, and it's not even close this year.

I'm still skeptical of Hackett. That will change if the offense does good things in 2013.

I am understanding the post and argument. I also hate the prevent, yet the D did what it was supposed to do yesterday and took away the strengths of UL. Teddy has a big arm and can beat you deep. We took that away. They have/had two good backs. We took away the run. We did the same thing with USF. You give them from the 30 to the 30 and when the field shrinks (red zone and just outside) they cannot beat you with those long throws and the secondary can then cheat up and take away the short game. The worst they can do is long to long mid range fg. Same thing in the Cincy game except we bet ourselves with the pick 6 and 2 td drops on 0 (it did not hurt that the officials were hammering nails into the coffin).

If we would have played Teddy differently yesterday, he would not have had as many yards passing but would have had a better chance in getting the big "home run" ball and therefore 6 instead of 3.

Out of the three corps, lb is the weakest this year. We are keeping the game in front of us and not letting players get behind till we can shrink the field and cover the weakest corp with less chance of letting wr's behind the secondary.

I must say that our best corp is the DL, and I think this only gets stronger next year. Secondary could possibly be one of the best ever at SU in a couple of years. We need LB recruits bad or some SS to fill out into lb's.

All this being said, the original post is about how many wanted to hang/maul/dismember DM for hiring a "not qualified NFL glory boy" with no OC experience as his OC and how both should be hung/mauled/dismembered for the atrocious O play the last couple of seasons. On the flip side, they wanted DM replaced by SS. Many of whom now are crowing about how these coaches are the best thing since Shredded Wheat.

DM has put together a very fine group of coaches on both sides of the ball and this is only going to make our program better/stronger and do it faster. Enjoy this brothers and sisters and lets unite as one Orange and not become fruit salad. Please...

Because you can constantly see improvement on the O side. D is always choopy, uneven, inconsistent, whatever word you want to use. And yesterday, we were poor again on D. Played soft. Seemed like Bridgewater completed 90% of his passes when we rushed 3 and played soft on the recivers. When we blitzed 1 or 2 guys, it seemed like he completed 10%. We got a nice lead and several possessions just let them march down the field playing a defense I will just call a prevent type. I hate that crap and I know we wanted them to use some clock. Just don't like what the defense has been doing the past several games. It's either been swiss cheese or it was yesterdays soft stuff.
I agree that the D is up and down and we don't always know what to expect. The last USF and Cinci games we stunk it up on D, but I don't think yesterday's game was a good example to use. Our defense struggles the most when we can't stop the run ie. USF/Cinci. Yesterday we gave up 48 yds rushing as a team! Yes we gave up 400 plus passing and like you said we sat back and let them dink and doink all over the place besides the 2 or 3 bigger plays they got but most of that is due to us having a 2-3 td lead for over half of the game. I'm assuming the game plan for yesterday even before getting the big lead was to make Bridgewater beat us with the underneath stuff and we did a pretty good job getting off the field even after they may have gotten a few first downs and moved the ball a little.

Because you can constantly see improvement on the O side. D is always choopy, uneven, inconsistent, whatever word you want to use. And yesterday, we were poor again on D. Played soft. Seemed like Bridgewater completed 90% of his passes when we rushed 3 and played soft on the recivers. When we blitzed 1 or 2 guys, it seemed like he completed 10%. We got a nice lead and several possessions just let them march down the field playing a defense I will just call a prevent type. I hate that crap and I know we wanted them to use some clock. Just don't like what the defense has been doing the past several games. It's either been swiss cheese or it was yesterdays soft stuff.

Kept them to 13 in the first half, that was the job that needed to be done.

Kept them to 13 in the first half, that was the job that needed to be done.

Agree. I normally hate prevent. But Louisville's final possession of the first half could not result in a TD. FG was fine. TD could have been disaster, momentum killing. So I was happy with how we played that series. Louisville can beat you deep so we kept them in front if us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The question is how long to we keep Hackett? He is going to be really, really good.

I am laughing so hard at this post. A month ago this board insisted that for Marrone to keep his job he would have to axe Hackett.

Noticed a lot of overlap between the Hackett and Macky bashing here. I have a theory but don't think I need to explain it.

Both are writing their own stories and proving themselves. And credit Marrone for taking a real chance on them.

I am laughing so hard at this post. A month ago this board insisted that for Marrone to keep his job he would have to axe Hackett.

At no point did I ever say he would have to axe Hackett in fact I know quite a few people n the profession who think Hackett will be great. He is still a young guy.

Hack called a good game but it was the players especially the left side of the Oline that stepped up. Shafer remains the better coach. He also called a good game. Picked his poison which was shutting down the run and allowing everything under, keeping everything in front. Doug was solid in a quick call to go for it on fourth and one and the team came out fired up. I was in from CO for the game loved every minute of it. Best win in years and it was something to see the band at the Varsity post game. Signature win for the program and with one more we have a very good year. I thought the team had a chance to win 7 and i also said that if we got to 5-6-7 wins Doug should be retained depending on the direction the team was headed if it was a 5 win season. As to Hack he is learning and becoming a much better play caller. He was pretty piss poor in a few outings and im glad to see him growing into the position. Yesterday he was on but to say he is a better coach at this point than Shafer is fools gold.

Hack called a good game but it was the players especially the left side of the Oline that stepped up. Shafer remains the better coach. He also called a good game. Picked his poison which was shutting down the run and allowing everything under, keeping everything in front. Doug was solid in a quick call to go for it on fourth and one and the team came out fired up. I was in from CO for the game loved every minute of it. Best win in years and it was something to see the band at the Varsity post game. Signature win for the program and with one more we have a very good year. I thought the team had a chance to win 7 and i also said that if we got to 5-6-7 wins Doug should be retained depending on the direction the team was headed if it was a 5 win season. As to Hack he is learning and becoming a much better play caller. He was pretty piss poor in a few outings and im glad to see him growing into the position. Yesterday he was on but to say he is a better coach at this point than Shafer is fools gold.
Both Shafer and Hackett have potential but the jury is out on both of them. Hackett has had success for less than one year. Let's see how he does over time. Shafer had one great year. This year, the defense has been very inconsistent. The next two games will say a lot about Shafer's coaching ability.

Both Shafer and Hackett have potential but the jury is out on both of them. Hackett has had success for less than one year. Let's see how he does over time. Shafer had one great year. This year, the defense has been very inconsistent. The next two games will say a lot about Shafer's coaching ability.

Says the guy who said we wouldn't come within 3 TDs of Lville. I have no idea what you are good at, but football prognostication isn't it.

Says the guy who said we wouldn't come within 3 TDs of Lville. I have no idea what you are good at, but football prognostication isn't it.
You're right! If I was any good at it, I'd be making a living in Vegas. I am happily munching crow this morning as I was most pleasantly surprised.

So, what are your thoughts re Mizzou?

You're right! If I was any good at it, I'd be making a living in Vegas. I am happily munching crow this morning as I was most pleasantly surprised.

So, what are your thoughts re Mizzou?

Havent seen much Mizzou football this year quite honestly, but considering their results, I think it's a fair line. if we keep mistakes to a minimum (Big IF, I know), then i dont see any reason that we cant come out with a win. We have now won 3 of 4 so im hoping to build on the momentum. Concerned about Tony Franklin, but looking at their offensive numbers, they really seem to have struggled overall (except for the Tennessee game). Also Looks like they have a very good D. Should be an even matchup and hopefully our guys make enough plays to win. THis is a much tougher call than the Lville game, which I felt great about. I'm hoping we can get bowl eligibility out of the way this weekend.

I'd say Shafer is pretty proven. Of course, I've been all in on him from day 1 so perhaps I'm not the best source here. But he had two really good seasons and last year he helped piece together a defense that hung in there despite very little depth, some key injuries, and a ton of young players (especially at LB). This year has had some frustrating moments -- NW late was disappointing, L'ville not his finest moment, Cincy was ugly. But even with all that, we win NW if we're not atrocious on specials and we did enough to still manage to beat L'ville handily. We could very easily be making a pretty serious run at 7 regular season wins. I'm not really sure, unless you're talking about a truly elite defensive guy, that we can argue much with what he's done in four years.

SU is not Shafer's first rodeo. He has a pretty impressive previous record.

Went to the coaching clinic in the Spring, and got to hear from, and chat to, both of them. Both of these guys are absolutely first rate football people. These guys, and literally hundreds of others like them coaching college football, have dedicated their lives to the game, and their knowledge of, and passion for, football blows you away. As a humble volunteer community football coach, I take my hat off to them.

Schafer tells a great story about driving out towards one of his first coaching gigs, and getting the word that he wouldn't be coaching offense, as he had expected. Rather, the only opening they now had was coaching DBs, an area where he had zero experience. How did he feel about that? Needless to say, he had to learn pretty quickly!

I will say this - Nate Hackett is very charismatic, an extremely personable, high energy guy who is easy to like. In his personality and approach, he reminds me an awful lot of Rick Neuheisel. (Before you hiss, check Washington's record before, during, and after Neuheisel's time there.) I could see Hackett's kids being willing to run through a brick wall for him, and I think his personality will lend itself very well to a head coaching opportunity down the road. That's not to say that Schafer wouldn't be a great head coach, but Hackett has that larger than life personality that will interview very well.

Does it matter?

Love when 'bees starts threads that serve zero purpose, yet vilifies others for posting similar inflammatory stuff.

Shafer has a VERY young defense (both age wise and experience wise). Hackett has a three-year starter at QB and Lemon/Sales/Pugh/Chibane have all had at least two-plus years of starting experience.

This thread is ridiculous. I'm happy that we won Saturday, but one game does not make someone a terrific coach, and certainly doesn't make them "better" than someone on their own team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom