Hackett | Syracusefan.com

Hackett

G

GoCuse44

I hate to Monday morning quarterback but in this case I have to defend Hackett. During the previous coaching regimes we constantly complained about the predictable play calling (run, run, pass). Now we have a coordinator who is willing to throw on first down from the five yard line to a freshman WR and people are complaining because the ball was picked off. One if Hackett called a dive play up the middle like George DeLeone would have and Bailey fumbled? We would all be ripping Hackett for being to conservative.

I think a lot of blame yesterday lies squarely on Nassib's shoulder who simply failed to execute the game plan. Nassib had Van Chew wide open for a TD on a go route and he badly over threw the receiver. He threw a bubble screen directly to a Rutgers linebacker who was right in his line of sight. Nassib was just plain bad yesterday and no offensive coordinator in the country could have done anything about it. What other options does Marrone and & comany have when Nassib is having a bad day?? They see Loeb and Kinder every day in practice but don't have faith in them to take a snap during a game. As Marrone said at the luncheon two weeks ago he wants to win as badly as we do because if he loses game he won't be coaching at SU when we join the ACC.

The one thing I would love to see is what Marrone and Hackett could do if they had a dual threat QB. Nassib is doing fine with the tools he has (being fleet of foot is not one of them). I am holding out hope that by the time we enter the ACC we will have Hunt or Broyld under center and they be able to keep defenses honest by picking up 5+ yards once the pocket collapes or the WR's are covered down field.

I am as frustrated as everyone else over yesterdays loss (which was inexcusbale) but this mornign I reminded myself that we have asolutely no depth at RB with Gulley out for the season, our WR corp (with the exception of Ven Chew and Lemon) is young and inexperienced, and out two best players on defense are injured. I for one will be thrilled if we are 4-2 on october 21st when WVU comes to town.

I honestly believe that we need to give Marrone and Hackett 5 years (two more recruiting classes) before we can truly evaluate their ability to identify talent and game plan. In Marrone's fifth year as head coach we will be in the ACC so the timing is perfect.

Just think how miserable it must be to be a Rutgers fan knowing your biggest rival is heading to the ACC while you will be buying season tickets to watch ECU, Temple, Memphies, or god knows how else in the "new" Big East. :eek:

Here's hoping the boys put yesterday's offensive disaster behind them and beat Tulane by 20+ points.

GO ORANGE

Stop running up the middle on first down. Second and eight sucks and we are stuck from that point on. How about a run off tackle. Or a screen pass?

I honestly believe that we need to give Marrone and Hackett 5 years (two more recruiting classes) before we can truly evaluate their ability to identify talent and game plan. In Marrone's fifth year as head coach we will be in the ACC so the timing is perfect.

It takes three years IMO to evaluate a HC. You can tell what type of players, what type of system, and what type of game strategy a HC uses by then. Using your logic we fired GRob too early. IMO we fired him a year late. IMO you can already answer most of the above questions with Marrone. I doubt we seem him change much between now and the end of 2013. The talent hopefully will improve. The W-L record hopefully will improve. But you can already evaluate his philosophy, system, and coaching abilities.

I'll say this for Hackett: He was a stand-up guy in answering questions from the press yesterday. He kept the coach-speak to a minimum and called it like it was. A lot of guys would not do that.

I hate to Monday morning quarterback but in this case I have to defend Hackett. During the previous coaching regimes we constantly complained about the predictable play calling (run, run, pass). Now we have a coordinator who is willing to throw on first down from the five yard line to a freshman WR and people are complaining because the ball was picked off. One if Hackett called a dive play up the middle like George DeLeone would have and Bailey fumbled? We would all be ripping Hackett for being to conservative.

I think a lot of blame yesterday lies squarely on Nassib's shoulder who simply failed to execute the game plan. Nassib had Van Chew wide open for a TD on a go route and he badly over threw the receiver. He threw a bubble screen directly to a Rutgers linebacker who was right in his line of sight. Nassib was just plain bad yesterday and no offensive coordinator in the country could have done anything about it. What other options does Marrone and & comany have when Nassib is having a bad day?? They see Loeb and Kinder every day in practice but don't have faith in them to take a snap during a game. As Marrone said at the luncheon two weeks ago he wants to win as badly as we do because if he loses game he won't be coaching at SU when we join the ACC.

The one thing I would love to see is what Marrone and Hackett could do if they had a dual threat QB. Nassib is doing fine with the tools he has (being fleet of foot is not one of them). I am holding out hope that by the time we enter the ACC we will have Hunt or Broyld under center and they be able to keep defenses honest by picking up 5+ yards once the pocket collapes or the WR's are covered down field.

I am as frustrated as everyone else over yesterdays loss (which was inexcusbale) but this mornign I reminded myself that we have asolutely no depth at RB with Gulley out for the season, our WR corp (with the exception of Ven Chew and Lemon) is young and inexperienced, and out two best players on defense are injured. I for one will be thrilled if we are 4-2 on october 21st when WVU comes to town.

Just think how miserable it must be to be a Rutgers fan knowing your biggest rival is heading to the ACC while you will be buying season tickets to watch ECU, Temple, Memphies, or god knows how else in the "new" Big East. :eek:

Here's hoping the boys put yesterday's offensive disaster behind them and beat Tulane by 20+ points.

GO ORANGE

Disagree re Hackett. Throwing the ball on a slant into a congested area to a guy who has never caught a pass before is not creative, clever, or even daring. It was flat out stupid. Throwing a screen pass into the short side of the field where the density of players was one per square yard is going to result in disaster. And, it did. The first half play calling which netted 80 yards reflected crawling into your shell and nothing more.

Although it's tempting to call for him to be canned, that would be precipitous. But, he just isn't ready to call plays at this level. Marrone has to take over so he can sit and watch and learn.

Disagree re Hackett. Throwing the ball on a slant into a congested area to a guy who has never caught a pass before is not creative, clever, or even daring. It was flat out stupid. Throwing a screen pass into the short side of the field where the density of players was one per square yard is going to result in disaster. And, it did. The first half play calling which netted 80 yards reflected crawling into your shell and nothing more.

Although it's tempting to call for him to be canned, that would be precipitous. But, he just isn't ready to call plays at this level. Marrone has to take over so he can sit and watch and learn.
Had that pass been completed he would be a genius. Here is a young receiver who the coaches are very high on and since he has not played at receiver it was a surprise element that perhaps the coaches thought might work, also there have been numerous posts here about how he is impressing coaches; #87 may be a star by next season. My point is; they took a calculated risk and it didn't work out and that is coaching.

Oy vey.

Had the pass been completed? It wasn't. That is the point. You can say that about any play call. It wasn't a wise choice. I bet Hackett thought a lot about it last night.

there is nothing wrong with calling a slant, that play has worked half a dozen times in the Marrone Era.. as for the screen.. it was not a straight screen, it was a fake screen to Rene and then a backside screen to Bailey. one guy stayed home. thats all it takes to blow up a screen.

there is nothing wrong with calling a slant, that play has worked half a dozen times in the Marrone Era.. as for the screen.. it was not a straight screen, it was a fake screen to Rene and then a backside screen to Bailey. one guy stayed home. thats all it takes to blow up a screen.

They were weird calls. Why call a slant to your 5th best WR? It would be different if he had a mismatch but he had a DB on him. We have run what, one screen all year? And RU wasn't blitzing this game. Made no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom