Had breakfast with Providence coach Ed Cooley today ... | Syracusefan.com

Had breakfast with Providence coach Ed Cooley today ...

cto

Administrator
Providence coach Ed Cooley -- my favorite Big East coach -- was my seat mate today at a charity breakfast in Bridgeport where he was the guest speaker. Ed, whom I know from his coaching stint at Fairfield University, began our conversation by saying: "Syracuse will have a scary good team this year." As Ed is very friendly with Jim Boeheim, I suspect Jim may have had input into that assessment.

Ed's response when I asked him what we can expect this season from Paschal Chukwu (our transfer from Providence): "He won't score much, but he will be a fabulous defensive presence for you around the basket."

When I complimented Ed on Providence's great season this year, he responded: "We were doing pretty well until we ran into North Carolina in the tournament." When I reminded him the same thing happened to SU (running into UNC), he replied: "Yes, but we ran into them in Raleigh, not at the Final Four." We then both thanked the Basketball Gods for banning NCAA post-season play in North Carolina this season (thereby depriving both Duke and UNC of two "home games").

And he shared something newsy (which has not been announced publicly): Ed told me he will be one of the assistant coaches for the 2020 USA Olympic basketball team under new head coach Gregg Popovich).

Ed is a dynamic and moving speaker. For anyone planning a charitable event in New England, especially for a charity that benefits inner city children, I could not think of a better speaker. He was essentially raised in an inner-city foster home, and he can really relate to the mission and successes of organizations such as the Cardinal Shehan Center.

14572421_10154124922289958_3281150622153011428_n.jpg

Last edited:
popovich??

I thought he retired with Duncan or would be by then.

Providence coach Ed Cooley -- my favorite Big East coach -- was my seat mate today at a charity breakfast in Bridgeport where he was the guest speaker. Ed, whom I know from his years of coaching at Fairfield University, began our conversation by saying: "Syracuse will have a scary good team this year." As Ed is very friendly with Jim Boeheim, I suspect Jim may have had input into that assessment.

Ed's response when I asked him what we can expect this season from Pascal Chukwu (our transfer from Providence): "He won't score much, but he will be a fabulous defensive presence for you around the basket."

When I complimented Ed on Providence's great season this year, he responded: "We were doing pretty well until we ran into North Carolina in the tournament." When I reminded him the same thing happened to SU in March (running into UNC), he replied: "Yes, but we ran into them in Raleigh." We then both thanked the Basketball Gods for banning NCAA post-season play in North Carolina this season (thereby depriving both Duke and UNC of two "home games").

And he shared something newsy (which has not been announced publicly): Ed told me he will be one of the assistant coaches for the 2020 USA Olympic basketball team under new head coach Gregg Popovich).

Ed is a dynamic and moving speaker. For anyone planning a charitable event in New England, especially for a charity that benefits children, I could not think of a better speaker. He was essentially raised in an inner-city foster home, and he can really relate to the mission and successes of such organizations.

you must be wearing Orange pants then... ;)

Hope at some point, we play Providence again in basketball. Maybe in a tournament at MSG? Maybe a home and home.

That would be fun. I never want to an SU game at the Dunk and regret that.

Hope at some point, we play Providence again in basketball. Maybe in a tournament at MSG? Maybe a home and home.

That would be fun. I never want to an SU game at the Dunk and regret that.
The Dunk is a really easy venue to visit. Right off the interstate ... and surrounded by parking garages and restaurant/bars. It is even close to the Amtrak station. It is the perfect place for a Saturday afternoon game for folks in Metro NYC. Up and back in one day.

Last edited:
Providence coach Ed Cooley -- my favorite Big East coach -- was my seat mate today at a charity breakfast in Bridgeport where he was the guest speaker. Ed, whom I know from his years of coaching at Fairfield University, began our conversation by saying: "Syracuse will have a scary good team this year." As Ed is very friendly with Jim Boeheim, I suspect Jim may have had input into that assessment.

Ed's response when I asked him what we can expect this season from Pascal Chukwu (our transfer from Providence): "He won't score much, but he will be a fabulous defensive presence for you around the basket."

When I complimented Ed on Providence's great season this year, he responded: "We were doing pretty well until we ran into North Carolina in the tournament." When I reminded him the same thing happened to SU in March (running into UNC), he replied: "Yes, but we ran into them in Raleigh." We then both thanked the Basketball Gods for banning NCAA post-season play in North Carolina this season (thereby depriving both Duke and UNC of two "home games").

Ed is a dynamic and moving speaker. For anyone planning a charitable event in New England, especially for a charity that benefits children, I could not think of a better speaker. He was essentially raised in an inner-city foster home, and he can really relate to the mission and successes of such organizations.

I like Ed Cooley. I think he's a very good coach.

Joyce, your stories are simply legendary.

Ed Cooley is one of my favorite coaches as well. I always wish the best for his team's. One of the good guys, for sure. Had a lot of bad luck early in his Providence run with injuries, ineligibles, and transfers. But he knows his stuff.

And A-freakin-MEN on the NCAA ban for games in North Carolina. About time Duke and UNC have to travel like the rest of the teams.

I saw Ed Cooley speak a few years ago at a charity dinner in Manhattan. While I knew he was the head coach at Fairfield, I didn't have the background on his personal story. WOW, what a speaker...incredibly impressive and motivating.

I'm glad to see him succeed at Providence and hope he continues to find success...against everybody but Syracuse. :)

Providence coach Ed Cooley -- my favorite Big East coach -- was my seat mate today at a charity breakfast in Bridgeport where he was the guest speaker. Ed, whom I know from his coaching stint at Fairfield University, began our conversation by saying: "Syracuse will have a scary good team this year." As Ed is very friendly with Jim Boeheim, I suspect Jim may have had input into that assessment.

Ed's response when I asked him what we can expect this season from Paschal Chukwu (our transfer from Providence): "He won't score much, but he will be a fabulous defensive presence for you around the basket."

When I complimented Ed on Providence's great season this year, he responded: "We were doing pretty well until we ran into North Carolina in the tournament." When I reminded him the same thing happened to SU (running into UNC), he replied: "Yes, but we ran into them in Raleigh, not at the Final Four." We then both thanked the Basketball Gods for banning NCAA post-season play in North Carolina this season (thereby depriving both Duke and UNC of two "home games").

Ed is a dynamic and moving speaker. For anyone planning a charitable event in New England, especially for a charity that benefits inner city children, I could not think of a better speaker. He was essentially raised in an inner-city foster home, and he can really relate to the mission and successes of organizations such as the Cardinal Shehan Center.

I always root for Coach Cooley, unless something bad's going to happen to SU as a result. Total class act from everything I've ever seen. Great story, Joyce. Thanks.

You probably all know this but another reason to like Coach Cooley is his team beat Villanova at Villanova last year playing 2-3 zone defense the entire second half. I just had to imagine some of those fans were feeling Orange in the depths of their losing pains. Ah, the little things in life...

Reactions: cto
Good for Cooley on the Olympic thing. He's getting the recognition he deserves as a very good coach, one of my favorites.

Good for Cooley on the Olympic thing. He's getting the recognition he deserves as a very good coach, one of my favorites.

He has done a really good job at Providence, and is a really good guy, I like him a lot, even though the Providence fans leave a lot to be desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom