Hafley leaving BC for NFL | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Hafley leaving BC for NFL

BC will be better. I think that's the big takeaway with their hire.

A strong BC and a strong Syracuse is good for our survival and whatever comes of our next conference
Eh… not sure. Still think the Dazzler is the high water mark and that is better than Hafley…

But if the swing we took, works? Different level.

Eh… not sure. Still think the Dazzler is the high water mark and that is better than Hafley…

But if the swing we took, works? Different level.
Bill O'Brien is a better coach than anyone BC has had since Tom Coughlin. To me that's a step forward for them. I'm not equating what we have to what they have. We're in good hands, i think. Haven't seen Fran coach a game yet so i'm holding my opinions until we see what we has in store. We do know Bill O'Brien can coach and win.

BC will better. And that's good for us. We want there to be a rivalry in the northeast versus the perception of irrelevance north of State College, PA

Bill O'Brien is a better coach than anyone BC has had since Tom Coughlin. To me that's a step forward for them. I'm not equating what we have to what they have. We're in good hands, i think. Haven't seen Fran coach a game yet so i'm holding my opinions until we see what we has in store. We do know Bill O'Brien can coach and win.

BC will better. And that's good for us. We want there to be a rivalry in the northeast versus the perception of irrelevance north of State College, PA
I think he is a good coach but can he recruit? Especially in the portal/NIL era? Heck he didn’t seem to leave much when he left Penn State.

On a side note, I know all the jokes but people forget that Tom O'Brien was pretty damn good at BC, won at least 8 games 7 out of 8 years and won 7 the other year. Struggled his first 2 years but he had a really solid run at BC. He was a very good coach. 75-45 overall with two 4 win seasons when he first started there. His last 8 years he was 68-30. Tied for 1st and then 2nd his first two years in the ACC as well

He was better than Dazzler for sure and if Bill O'Brien could replicate that which he most likely won't people would be signing his praises.

TOB was a good coach

Last edited:
Bill O'Brien is a better coach than anyone BC has had since Tom Coughlin.
I appreciate your boldness, but the proof of concept will be winning at a program like BC. It ain't Penn St and it's for sure not the NFL. NiL and player movement requires skills he didn't need at either job.

Jury is out on Fran, but I wouldn't get too far over my skis w BOB

I appreciate your boldness, but the proof of concept will be winning at a program like BC. It ain't Penn St and it's for sure not the NFL. NiL and player movement requires skills he didn't need at either job.

Jury is out on Fran, but I wouldn't get too far over my skis w BOB
O’Brien would be a great hire for BC.

Absolutely. Some here have Syracuse derangement syndrome. It will be good full stop.

I think BOB is a victim of his own success here. Guys need to go back to 2012 and revisit the recruiting situation and expectations he took over at Penn State. The idea that the Penn State name just recruited for itself his two years there is incorrect. He had a solid year, stabilized recruiting, and was coach of the year for a reason. He gets a lot of credit (blame?) for Penn State never really dropping off - which in 2012 was what everyone expected.

If he had success recruiting at Penn State in 2012 & 2013, he should have success at BC.

I think BOB is a victim of his own success here. Guys need to go back to 2012 and revisit the recruiting situation and expectations he took over at Penn State. The idea that the Penn State name just recruited for itself his two years there is incorrect. He had a solid year, stabilized recruiting, and was coach of the year for a reason. He gets a lot of credit (blame?) for Penn State never really dropping off - which in 2012 was what everyone expected.

If he had success recruiting at Penn State in 2012 & 2013, he should have success at BC.
Did he have success? The kids he recruited were upperclassmen Franklin’s first two years and Penn State stunk.

On a side note, I know all the jokes but people forget that Tom O'Brien was pretty damn good at BC, won at least 8 games 7 out of 8 years and won 7 the other year. Struggled his first 2 years but he had a really solid run at BC. He was a very good coach. 75-45 overall with two 4 win seasons when he first started there. His last 8 years he was 68-30. Tied for 1st and then 2nd his first two years in the ACC as well

He was better than Dazzler for sure and if Bill O'Brien could replicate that which he most likely won't people would be signing his praises.

TOB was a good coach

Struggled his first two years because Dan Henning was probably their worst hire of all time. If I were a player on that team, I would have bet against ourselves too.

that penn st situation was a death sentence he stepped into and kept the ship afloat. pure coaching 101.

he also is the most successful HC in Texans history, an organization that isn't successful by any means. Certainly last year wasn't good with the Patriots. A strike against him for sure. This isn't Nick Saban going to BC. I'm just saying Bill O'Brien is as good as as it will get for BC and it's pretty good. I would have been happy to get him at Syracuse. Of course devil in the details w the staff but he'll be successful

Did he have success? The kids he recruited were upperclassmen Franklin’s first two years and Penn State stunk.
Franklin's head his first couple years at PSU was still partly in Nashville, because he left behind the worst scandal in Vanderbilt history: football players gang rape, which investigation also found how low the academic and general discipline standards for football players had gotten under Franklin.

Yes. He absolutely, unequivocally, indisputably had success. That you’re not sure actually shows what a phenomenal job he did.

“Stunk” was bowl eligible in a strong Big Ten. Compared to how Penn State was expected to be able to recruit post-scandal, he so massively outperformed expectations it was absurd. There’s a reason why his contract included an automatic four year extension for every year of sanctions - the expectation was that this was going to take a decade to recover from (if at all). Instead they were bowl eligible immediately and in the Rose Bowl in 5 years. Absolutely amazing job by BOB which demonstrates he can recruit successfully.

Yes. He absolutely, unequivocally, indisputably had success. That you’re not sure actually shows what a phenomenal job he did.

“Stunk” was bowl eligible in a strong Big Ten. Compared to how Penn State was expected to be able to recruit post-scandal, he so massively outperformed expectations it was absurd. There’s a reason why his contract included an automatic four year extension for every year of sanctions - the expectation was that this was going to take a decade to recover from (if at all). Instead they were bowl eligible immediately and in the Rose Bowl in 5 years. Absolutely amazing job by BOB which demonstrates he can recruit successfully.
It's more an indictment on the NCAA for not destroying that program.

It's more an indictment on the NCAA for not destroying that program.

What the NCAA did or did not do is irrelevant in assessing how BOB recruited in the situation he was dealing with. I’ll take your irrelevant comment as an admission he did a good job, but that you are constitutionally unable to accept or admit that.

Last story I head was that BC was down to O'Brien or Chryst.

Update: newer stories say it is between O'Brien and Al Washington.

Guessing there is likely something holding up the O'Brien signing that seemed so imminent a day or two ago.

I think the longer this drags out, the more likely someone else gets picked.

I wonder if Bill asked for more than BC could or would deliver so they are looking at a younger, cheaper option instead? Some BC player alums are reported to favor Washington as well. Al is a BC alum and they might be thinking a younger man might do a better job recruiting and relating to college aged kids.

Last edited:

You are arguing a completely separate point. Was he successful on the field with players recruited by someone else? Yes.

He wasn’t there long enough to see how his recruits did in his system. So how do you evaluate his recruiting? All we know is those kids went under .500 which was a big step down for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom