Half court offense is marginal.,, | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Half court offense is marginal.,,

Look at the box score and see if your thoughts are verified.
FGM-A
BT-CJ-BMK 20-31
Rest of Team 9-34 (MCW 3-17 w/6 AST)
Team Total 29-65

This is not MCWs game. Even he has said previously, it isn't. A lot of things for him to think about.

u say things collectively, but haven't a clue. u have no offense against man because u have zero practice time
your right i have no clue. i have no clue what this even means?

No post offense and they are crowding our dribblers. Get used to it, it's the blueprint.
They were playing MCW for the pass. Which means they were daring him to shoot. And he didn't make them pay.

MCW needs to dominate the ball. Who is he going to pass to? That has been our offense all year and has looked good when against inferior competition where he could finish himself, and we knock down shots. It actually would have worked again today if he made his free throws.

huh? he needs to be a distributor not a shooter. 3 for 17 is jot his game. 17 shots is not his game. that has not been our offense all year.

huh? he needs to be a distributor not a shooter. 3 for 17 is jot his game. 17 shots is not his game. that has not been our offense all year.
In fairness to him 4 of the shots were in the final minute, and i did think that Temple was really playing him for the pass - after the first 10 minutes they didn't seem to be helping off our bigs at all on his penetration. That said he could have picked his spots a little better and in particular I think he needs to make sure Brandon doesn't disappear for long stretches.

i agree we are at our best when he can be a distributor, but did you see what Dunphy did today? He forced MCW to be a scorer. They were giving basically no help defense, forcing MCW to look for his own. When teams do this he needs to be able to score, or he will just become just an average player. And he has the ability to score, I just think he had an off day. If he shoots his regular % from the line we win, and he has an amazing game. He did a great job driving and getting to the line, he just didn't finish. It just looked bad because he missed 9 fts. But this is how teams are going to start to play him, and he needs to be able to score.

i agree we are at our best when he can be a distributor, but did you see what Dunphy did today? He forced MCW to be a scorer. They were giving basically no help defense, forcing MCW to look for his own. When teams do this he needs to be able to score, or he will just become just an average player. And he has the ability to score, I just think he had an off day. If he shoots his regular % from the line we win, and he has an amazing game. He did a great job driving and getting to the line, he just didn't finish. It just looked bad because he missed 9 fts. But this is how teams are going to start to play him, and he needs to be able to score.

Yup force MCW to shoot and face guard James that was there strategy, MCW didn't play well but CJ made them pay for this strategy. At the end of the day we are playing the worst zone since the 08-09 team, but that team was a way better scoring team with much better shooting on it. If the zone doesn't improve quickly are going to be in tough season.

Yup force MCW to shoot and face guard James that was there strategy, MCW didn't play well but CJ made them pay for this strategy. At the end of the day we are playing the worst zone since the 08-09 team, but that team was a way better scoring team with much better shooting on it. If the zone doesn't improve quickly are going to be in tough season.
Really? Up until today I don't think our zone has been better. Until today we were holding opponents to 34.5 FG, and 29.5 3pt %. That are absolutely ridiculous numbers. Only 1 team scored over 70 against us and another 2 cracked 60. Not to mention we were averaging the same amount of steals and blocks as last year, while rebounding a ton better. Temple had a great day shooting, and the quick whistles allowed Temple ft's that they didn't mix. Our zone will be just fine if Rak, and DC get some more minutes

Really? Up until today I don't think our zone has been better. Until today we were holding opponents to 34.5 FG, and 29.5 3pt %. That are absolutely ridiculous numbers. Only 1 team scored over 70 against us and another 2 cracked 60. Not to mention we were averaging the same amount of steals and blocks as last year, while rebounding a ton better. Temple had a great day shooting, and the quick whistles allowed Temple ft's that they didn't mix. Our zone will be just fine if Rak, and DC get some more minutes

Those numbers are good for 2nd nationally in fg defense, and 14th nationally in 3pt defense. kind of tough to improve on that.

They will get more minutes when they show JB they can play as well (or even nearly as well) as BMK and JS.

Those numbers are good for 2nd nationally in fg defense, and 14th nationally in 3pt defense. kind of tough to improve on that.
Well we've played 3 competent basketball teams and given up more than 80 points to 2 of them, and the other game was played in a wind storm. So, while our overall #'s are good I'd say the jury is still out

Rak and DC2 are the problems in the zone. They can't play the middle or the wing. Rak is better than DC2 but when you compare them to Fab last year, Ricky the year before, and AO and Ricky the year before that they are not cutting the mustard. Rebounded is an over blown stat because when a team scores there is no rebound. The middle of the zone is the most important position in the zone and Baye is the only one playing it well right now. Lastly our press is what has been making our defensive numbers look better than they are, but you can't press good teams for long it won't work.

Well we've played 3 competent basketball teams and given up more than 80 points to 2 of them, and the other game was played in a wind storm. So, while our overall #'s are good I'd say the jury is still out
another reason for a tougher schedule, i agree with that
They will get more minutes when they show JB they can play as well (or even nearly as well) as BMK and JS.

rak is in the dog house for something..my guess it has to do with something off court. baye gave up 2 off rebounds off of free throws, if that was rak he would have been on the bench. his leash is much shorter.

There's no ball movement on offense. It's all MCW dribbling then driving or passing to Triche to drive, or a pass to Triche/JS/Cooney/Fair for a jumper. That's basically the entire offense. This team is even worse than your average SU team in terms of moving the ball around to get good looks. I think we're going to see a lot of stinkers on that end this year. We have to hope the defense is much better the rest of the season.

If he makes a few more FT's and we win, he would have had an amazing game? He would still gave been 3-17. Hardly amazing.

And if they were taking away the passing for him then he should have given up the call sooner or JB should have switched him and Triche.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If he makes a few more FT's and we win, he would have had an amazing game? He would still gave been 3-17. Hardly amazing.

And if they were taking away the passing for him then he should have given up the call sooner or JB should have switched him and Triche.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I don't think any point guard should be shooting the ball 17 times, personally. If you add in the times he was fouled on shots in the paint, he put up around 25 shots I'd say. That's overkill, IMO.

it's not like he was hiking up 3 pointers, or faded away jump shots. many of his misses were inside the lane, and 4 of the 17 were in the last 2 minutes. he had a terrible game, it happens. i had no problem with him shooting that much because i was calling for him to look for his shot more earlier in the season so something like yesterday wouldn' happen. my question then if you don't want mcw shooting, who do you want to shoot? cooney? dc? baye? if you haven't noticed were pretty limited on play makers who can go get their own.

Agreed. I don't think any point guard should be shooting the ball 17 times, personally. If you add in the times he was fouled on shots in the paint, he put up around 25 shots I'd say. That's overkill, IMO.
It's not like he passed up open teammates though. Gotta give temple credit. They sagged off mcw and took away passing angles. Then they hustled their butt off for every free ball.

It's not like he passed up open teammates though. Gotta give temple credit. They sagged off mcw and took away passing angles. Then they hustled their butt off for every free ball.

Agreed. But often times after temple made a play, mcw brought the ball down the court with the sole intent of trying to score. I think he needs to focus on running the offense, even if the d is sagging off of him, instead of taking it upon himself to directly put the ball in the basket.

Agreed. But often times after temple made a play, mcw brought the ball down the court with the sole intent of trying to score. I think he needs to focus on running the offense, even if the d is sagging off of him, instead of taking it upon himself to directly put the ball in the basket.
again what offense? their offense is spreading the court on, and then a succession of ball screens. mcw and triche are going to be doing the majority of the play making, there isn't anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom