Halfway Home - Is 20 Wins in the Cards? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Halfway Home - Is 20 Wins in the Cards?

Curious if the season tanks out ( I think there is a better chance of that than a magical run - hope I'm wrong), if that spurs JB to move on or stay put and run it back. Tanks out being a few games under 500 as I can't see us losing too many games in a league this bad.

Predicated on none of the current top five or six guys missing any significant time the rest of the way, this team has a chance to reach 20 wins.

At least 16 games remaining, 15 regular season and minimum one ACC tournament game. We all know the ACC is not the strongest league thus the chance to finish the second half of the season with a similar record as the first half.

Even with 20+ wins and a few more in the ACC tournament, the team is on the outside looking in for the NCAA tournament.

vs VT = L (10-7)
vs ND = W (11-7)
@ The U = W (12-7)
@ GT = W (13-7)
vs NC = L (13-8)
@ VT = W (14-8)
vs VA = L (14-9)
@ BC = W (15-9)
@ FSU = W (16-9)
vs NCST = W (17-9)
vs Duke = L (17-10)
@ CLEM = W (18-10)
@ Pitt = W (19-10)
vs GT = W (20-10)
vs WF = W (21-10)
ACCT ????????

I am sure there are a lot of detractors on getting to 20 wins or more but if this team can protect the ball, shoot well, make free throws, and commit to improving defense then it’s possible they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I think that if this team gets to 20 wins, it only solidifies just how bad the ACC is this year, in its continued rapid downward trajectory over the past few years. Furthermore, "Big Deal," "So What," "Who Cares," "Big Chit!"

Getting 20 wins nowadays, IMO, carries about as much weight/significance as an NFL running back having a 1000 yard season when playing 17 regular season games today vs. when the true standard was set.

Curious if the season tanks out ( I think there is a better chance of that than a magical run - hope I'm wrong), if that spurs JB to move on or stay put and run it back. Tanks out being a few games under 500 as I can't see us losing too many games in a league this bad.
I think the opposite is more likely to be true. JB's stated goal is to make sure the program is in better shape when he finally steps down.

“At the end of the day, I can promise you that I’m trying to leave this program in the best position that it can be in when I leave,’' he said. “I think we will be able to do that."

We Have a Plan in Place

I think the opposite is more likely to be true. JB's stated goal is to make sure the program is in better shape when he finally steps down.

“At the end of the day, I can promise you that I’m trying to leave this program in the best position that it can be in when I leave,’' he said. “I think we will be able to do that."

We Have a Plan in Place

I believe JB may desire this in his heart, however, he clearly (at his age) no longer has the will/drive to make his statement valid. If he were truly and honestly "trying" his efforts (as documented and mentioned here often) would've been evident by his actions. As the saying goes; "actions speak louder than words."

I believe JB may desire this in his heart, however, he clearly (at his age) no longer has the will/drive to make his statement valid. If he were truly and honestly "trying" his efforts (as documented and mentioned here often) would've been evident by his actions. As the saying goes; "actions speak louder than words."
I think this was more about a look into JB's mindset. Whether that is congruent with the reality of what is actually playing out is a different conversation.

I thought so last week...but now I am leaning no.

if they level up and things click...they could go on a run, though and get there

If Joe, Judah, and Jesse get 15 points or more in a game, we win. If they don't, we lose. We will win some shockers and lose some give me games. NIT here we come!

...but if this team can protect the ball, shoot well, make free throws, and commit to improving defense then it’s possible they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Well, if that's all we need then I'm on board too!

Our goal for this season should be to somehow scratch and claw our way to the 4 seed in the ACC Tournament. That way we only have to win three games in three days to make the dance.

Obviously, that is a tall order, but the ACC stinks this year so it's not impossible.

If Joe, Judah, and Jesse get 15 points or more in a game, we win. If they don't, we lose. We will win some shockers and lose some give me games. NIT here we come!
I would be happy with that. The NIT would be progress after last season in the very least.

If we're not in the NCAA tourney does it really matter if we have 15 or 20 wins?

Looks like beating VT at the dome was the surprise performance.

Being better than Miami and UNC were the surprises to me.

Of course we lost but if we didn’t we’re having the year Pitt is.

If we're not in the NCAA tourney does it really matter if we have 15 or 20 wins?
Missing the NCAA tournament but winning enough games that our AD gives JB another year is worst case scenario.

Every season since 2014 has been trash the 3 tournament runs came when everyone thought we’d be in the NIT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom